Forums » The Ranger

Why a ranger

• 6 posts
    March 15, 2016 5:59 AM PDT

I played a ranger in EQ1 and EQ2.  I expect I will play a ranger in Pantheon.  Why a ranger though?

I play a ranger because if I was actually in a fantasy world that is what I would want to be.  I would want to be able to stealthily scout out where I was going.  When I would fight I would much prefer to be far away hitting it with arrows than have it in my face hitting me.  When I get to fight at range, perhaps snare my opponent I feel like I am fighting on my terms.  Going head to head with a mob seems to me to be fighting on its terms.  I prefer being a ranger to a caster too, because I want to have a bit more armor and protection.  I like being able to be self reliant and not depend on a party (though playing with a good party is the best).  I love it when rangers are given the tracking ability because it gives me more information about the environment and a skill parties rely on me for.

I am not saying a ranger is better.  I play a ranger because it feels right.  I am glad other people play other classes because we need a good mix to create a good party.

Why do you play a ranger?

• 23 posts
    March 16, 2016 1:22 PM PDT

For me I can relate to the rangers of middle earth and dungeons and dragons. None of which were forced into the role of an archer (there are many ways to fight an oppoent on your terms that does not involved a bow). I have ZERO issues with people wanting to use a bow AS a ranger but I have a real issue with this new bastardization of what some people think a ranger is (archer with/without pet).  

• 4 posts
    November 1, 2016 5:25 PM PDT

Ranger is a great class to play if your out solo looking for crafting mats as well.  

No, I don't think they are tied to pets or bows, but I sure love the archery aspect anyway.  Lotro had a decent setup....pull with a dot and slow, then open up everything you got before it gets to you.  If it does get through, out come the duel swords/daggars/axes.  Not to mention moving quickly through terrain and always knowing where you are!

This post was edited by VaelKa at November 1, 2016 5:25 PM PDT
    • 474 posts
    November 3, 2016 1:51 PM PDT

I played a Ranger is EQ because they seemed like a fun class. Jack of all trades sounded like a blast. The class is so versaitle.

As for the bow being tied to the Ranger. I'd agrue that it is, though not in the way most people associate the two.

By definition, a Ranger is a wandering protector or guardian. Being out in the wild most of the time, they would need to fend for themselves. This means they would be required to hunt their own food most if not all of the time. Several times a day even. This excess amount of time spent outside the comforts of a city would force them to become proficiant in skills needed to hunt and trap. That would mean that the Ranger's livelyhood would hinge on his skill with a bow, at least in most cases. While a Ranger may tend toward another form of combat for personal protection, almost every Ranger would be above averagely skilled with a bow as well.

Using this fantasy lore it makes sense that Rangers would have an inate bonus when it came to archery. Though the Ranger was also a very skilled warrior with many weapon types, generally speaking. Throughout D&D Rangers have always been depicted as being innately skilled with almost any weapon they pick up. More that they were not skilled so much in a weapon type, but in the art of combat.

I love the idea of the Archer Ranger. I also know that not everyone falls into this catagory. Still, based on the class and the lifetsyle the class would lead, being skilled with a bow would be almost a requirement for survival. This, I think, is the true reason the Ranger is so closely associated with the image of a Bow.

• 101 posts
    December 9, 2016 10:22 PM PST

I choose ranger because I love the idea of being self-sustaining while exploring.  Being able to have the option to group / raid / solo is a great boon because my whims change.  Knowing that I am able to explore the world and still be self sufficient is a wonderful feeling.  Exploration is often times deadly for a curious ranger, but the deaths are well worth the sense of wonder when you find a cool place.

• 270 posts
    December 12, 2016 9:33 PM PST

Radamus said:

I choose ranger because I love the idea of being self-sustaining while exploring.  Being able to have the option to group / raid / solo is a great boon because my whims change.  Knowing that I am able to explore the world and still be self sufficient is a wonderful feeling.  Exploration is often times deadly for a curious ranger, but the deaths are well worth the sense of wonder when you find a cool place.

This, to a T. i like being well equipped for any encounter. having a pet as a companion (like a trusty pup) would only enhance the experience

• 190 posts
    December 30, 2016 5:53 PM PST

I hope Ranger will be a warrior druid hybrid again.  I would liked to see them have a bit better druid spells and to have archery as a main weapon choice.  The whole concept of a druid in EQ was fairly good.  Unfortunately it was a bit underpowed in Vanilla.

• 235 posts
    September 18, 2019 8:15 AM PDT

Radamus said:

I almost started a thread just now asking the question: Who will be playing a ranger that's excited by the seemingly explorer friendly abilities? Thanks for your post Radamus, this is why I'll be playing one. I love to explore and find those awesome places. Looking over the current list of abilities, it seems that the ranger will be very good at it. I can see myself spending hours and hours just exploring and possibly charting different areas of the world.

• 23 posts
    September 22, 2019 2:16 PM PDT

Well after reading the write up - some cool ideas but should we change the name of the class to Archer or Hunter? Even pointing out they perfer one handed weapons over two is laughable for the Ranger class. Too bad really - momentum is a cool idea and would go well with ANY weapon size... Such a shame.. Maybe when some of us can get in Alpha we can argue our case.

This post was edited by Sabatour at September 22, 2019 2:16 PM PDT
    • 46 posts
    September 23, 2019 7:23 PM PDT

I think I will def have a Ranger character.... most likely a stress relief toon/alt... I like the idea of not too much responsibility beyond occasional Root/Snare to aid designated CC when/if things go sideways.  Staying outside of AoE, dealing damage from range without having to worry about mana is very appealing.  I've enjoyed how my experience with Rng (eq1/eq2) was fairly laid back, as long as I performed above par dps (ie researched my class, rotations, minmax etc) expectations were fairly easy to meet (i will say, the bar was pretty low lol).  

Esthetically/RP/Lore of the 'outdoorsy' diy/loner/explorer, nature loving outsider were all extremely appealing in context as well, which is what initially draws me to this type of character to begin with. Ranger was fun to play & not over complicated IMO. 

• 62 posts
    October 29, 2019 10:32 AM PDT

Travo said:

I think I will def have a Ranger character.... most likely a stress relief toon/alt... I like the idea of not too much responsibility beyond occasional Root/Snare to aid designated CC when/if things go sideways.  Staying outside of AoE, dealing damage from range without having to worry about mana is very appealing.  I've enjoyed how my experience with Rng (eq1/eq2) was fairly laid back, as long as I performed above par dps (ie researched my class, rotations, minmax etc) expectations were fairly easy to meet (i will say, the bar was pretty low lol).  

Esthetically/RP/Lore of the 'outdoorsy' diy/loner/explorer, nature loving outsider were all extremely appealing in context as well, which is what initially draws me to this type of character to begin with. Ranger was fun to play & not over complicated IMO. 

I share the same sentiments with the ranger being fun to play and relatively carefree.  That is the reason I veer away from choosing a tank.  I have enjoyed archer classes in other MMO's, so adding in a melee/sword aspect is even better.