Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Night time

• 61 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:21 PM PST

You know, it might sound so trivial a thing but i am extremely pleased with how dark the night is. Night in all MMO that ive seen is an afterthought. We should be scared of adventuring at night. We should be cautious and gameplay should be different. When a dev team make night slightly visually different with no impact then what is the point of having a day night cycle or for that matter seasons?

Happy to hear this is being brought back, I know as i said it is a trivial thing but for me it has always been a pet peeve since it was changed in the original EQ.

Hopefully as development moves forward, this will stay the same and not go the ez mode!

Well done, i am pleased!

• 220 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:37 PM PST

I agree that night time is done well.  I am happy to hear them say that the actual game will be even darker.  I know it will impact some people, but night time should be dangerous and difficult to traverse.

• 1434 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:38 PM PST

Night in the stream was only meant for demo purposes. It will most likely be considerably darker when we play the game.

• 37 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:40 PM PST

I'm all for the darkest of nights.  Even better, mobs that will only appear in the game when it is dark. Wonder if that can be done in Unity?

This post was edited by Solaris at March 11, 2016 7:40 PM PST
    • 220 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:49 PM PST

d

Maric said:

I'm all for the darkest of nights.  Even better, mobs that will only appear in the game when it is dark. Wonder if that can be done in Unity?

Im not going to search for this, but someone(one of the developers) about a year ago said Unity isnt the limiting agent for things like this.  They are using Unity to build the game, then they are adding their own assets to address these unique RPG needs.  Unity probably dosent have a stock asset for those things, but the really smart developers for VR probably have the code saved and waiting; if not implemented yet.

This post was edited by Larr at March 11, 2016 7:50 PM PST
    • 383 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:57 PM PST

Please make us use torches and light spells. Don't let those be useless! :) 

I'm also all for different races having different bonuses to night vision.

• 52 posts
    March 11, 2016 8:21 PM PST

I had to keep stepping away and missed a lot of the stream. I am really excited to hear that nights will actually be dark!  I still remember many experiences of trying to pass through Kithicor Forest at night..Those were some scary times.

• 18 posts
    March 11, 2016 8:29 PM PST

Dullahan said:

Night in the stream was only meant for demo purposes. It will most likely be considerably darker when we play the game.

I heard them say that and my response is the same:  good! :)

• 132 posts
    March 11, 2016 10:06 PM PST

Night time looked great. I loved it when they discussed the dark at the end. Basically they had to have gamma or brightness turned up for streaming but would be much darker in game. 

This is going to look fantastic on a 5k monitor running at 3480 x 2160 

Speaking of that. is there any way you guys could post a UHD ress video recorded directly from the game at 4k res.

Twitch looks terrible on the user end. Would love to see some screen shots and videos directly from a screen recorder 

This post was edited by Medjai at March 11, 2016 10:08 PM PST
    • 18 posts
    March 12, 2016 1:50 PM PST

I agree.  Dark nighttime is good.

I remember in EQ1 playing a noob monk in Qeynos and having to remember how that one tunnel went, because I couldn't see anything once I got in there.  I loved it! (ok, I hated it at times too! But I do miss it (and I never "up my gamma" to avoid it in other games)).

• 384 posts
    March 12, 2016 2:03 PM PST

Medjai said:

Night time looked great. I loved it when they discussed the dark at the end. Basically they had to have gamma or brightness turned up for streaming but would be much darker in game. 

This is going to look fantastic on a 5k monitor running at 3480 x 2160 

Speaking of that. is there any way you guys could post a UHD ress video recorded directly from the game at 4k res.

Twitch looks terrible on the user end. Would love to see some screen shots and videos directly from a screen recorder 

They mentioned in the stream that a higher resolution version of the stream would be uploaded (to youtube I believe) soon. I'm looking forward to that myself. :)

• 13 posts
    March 12, 2016 5:01 PM PST

I wan't to die disoriented in a pitch black tunnel to the the sound of baying Gnolls.

• 1468 posts
    March 12, 2016 5:33 PM PST

I loved the look of night time in the town. It looked really atmospheric. I'm glad they are going to be making it look even darker in-game though. That'll add a whole new dimension to the game and one that is lacking from pretty much all modern MMOs.

• 18 posts
    March 12, 2016 5:50 PM PST

Malsirian said:

They mentioned in the stream that a higher resolution version of the stream would be uploaded (to youtube I believe) soon. I'm looking forward to that myself. :)

Oh, I missed hearing that!

This post was edited by soriana at March 12, 2016 5:50 PM PST
    • 184 posts
    July 12, 2016 2:52 PM PDT

I agree that Night time play should be riskier and more dangerous than playing in the day time (game-wise). I always enjoyed when a MMO would change mobs in a zone/area depending on the time of day; I think anyone who played EQ would agree that being caught in Kithicor at night was very dangerous and resulted in many deaths or trains to zone...

I'm hoping Pantheon brings this back as a feature with changing NPC's in certain zones, and perhaps even affecting quests and such as well. Perhaps some quests are only available in Pantheon during Full-Moons or a particular day of the year... 

Just Spitballing ideas...

Rint