Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Economy

This topic has been closed.
    • 12 posts
    March 8, 2016 11:51 AM PST

Hello All;

I have been spending many hours reading through the forums, as I do I continually fall more in love with a game that is just in its infancy.

That being said;

I have been curious about player or guild ran shops, instead of vendoring. Where players or guilds are able to set the prices of the items, the person who puts the item in the shop gets a cut of the sell price and the rest goes to the guild. I know there will probably be Auction Houses, I think this will bring another dynamic into growing a guild or family. Also, I know the topic was brought up earlier, coin weight... heavily for it, that keeps prices down. I don't go rolling to Walmart with all of my networth in my pocket. I take a few hundred dollars and try to budget. 

I think shops in town should have to pay a fee to be in town where there are many travelers, but they should be able to setup a stand or post outside of the city limits for free.

Tera did a tax system for governing guilds that was really curious to me, it just fell short of... detail imo.

Let me know what you guys think!

• 428 posts
    March 8, 2016 11:55 AM PST

Oh crap you said auction house.  Time to get the popcorn 

PS I love the idea of the guild getting a cut and having guild run markets but only if the guild can do something awesome with all that loots.

Eve had a tax system your Corp got a cut of the bounties you collected.  But when it came to fleet raids if you lost a ship that was specced right the Corp would normmaly give you a certain amount of funds as a replacement 

This post was edited by Kalgore at March 8, 2016 11:56 AM PST
    • 1468 posts
    March 8, 2016 12:14 PM PST

Frostilion said:

Also, I know the topic was brought up earlier, coin weight... heavily for it, that keeps prices down.

No it doesn't. I played EQ and coin weight had zero effect on the price of items at all.

I do like your idea of guild sellers though that could be cool. That way a guild member could off-load the rather boring process of having to sell in-game items to someone else in the guild who was happy to do it in exchange for a cut of the money earnt. That would benefit both parties. It could even be done slightly differently in that a guild member sells the item to the guild for a slightly reduced amount and then the guild sells the item on for its retail value in its own time. The guild member gets the benefit of the money straight away and the guild gets to earn some money for itself when it finally sells the item on.

The best thing about this idea is that most of it wouldn't require any development time. It could just be organised through the player base.

The only way it would work though was if auction houses do NOT exist. Auction houses would ruin a system such as that as everyone would just list there items on the auction house rather than going through their guild. I don't really want to see an auction house in-game. I think selling in a zone with lots of other people is much more fun especially as you get to chat to people while you do it.

• 12 posts
    March 8, 2016 12:24 PM PST

Honestly, I am fine without an Auction House. I vote against them. I just ass-u-med that it was planned. I always loved hunting for a good deal. People pay high dollar for convenience. I am guilty of that many times over.

I like that idea, take the middle man out of it and just guild ran stores. This could be interesting in Guild Warring and competition. Maybe have Sales flyers on a board in town showing what each guild has and its price.

Just tossing out ideas there.

• 29 posts
    September 2, 2018 11:56 AM PDT

Kalgore has got the right idea, Eve is the gold standard for a successful player-driven economy. The problem is I would not want Pantheon to turn into "Spreadsheets with unicorns, and we're all out of unicorns". The whole reason we made fiat currency in the first place is easy of transportation. As far as I'm concerned, the "gold" we see is simply the paper cash value. Gold sinks are great though, inflation must be combated a much as cheating.

1. The Eve example is a good one, developed through a lot of trial and error. There are NPC stations and player stations (markets and crafting staions in one); the NPC stations charge a higher tax than the player owned ones to craft, the player owned one have bonuses to production and you can fix the tax rate and access rights. 

2. In this discussion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNdDllfy2zM) there is mention of a market in EQ1 that was a central hub. In Eve there are 4 large hubs, one of which (Jita) is the largest, by far. There are also player-run hubs, but due to the nature of the game they are generally only accessable by certain blocs. In another discussion there was mention of cities growing dynamically in Pantheon to accomodate the player base. What I would recommend for NPC cities are markets that are small at first and which grow in size as local market activity increases. So players can watch their market grow from a small square with a few vendors to a larger more sophisticated market to a full blown economic hub. Gold sink #1 Taxes in NPC markets + crafting rise with more activity, incentivising people to make player-run markets. 

3. Gold sink #2 NPC Factional demand for items, activity and taxes that have a dynamic influence on the infrastructure. There will be a "base level of development" for any given region/faction, which can be upgraded with more economic activity. You get better roads with more people paying taxes, more (defend and attackable) NPC caravans, better sanitation (lower chance of contracting a disease status), better quality crafting stations, more patrols in more places, making the roads safer to travel. Alternatively, if economic activity dwindles, the infrastructure collapses noticeably, roads are treacherous and dangerous, until it drops to the base level of development. 

4. Have the backend tools or at least make space/room to monitor economic data like this:  https://www.eveonline.com/article/pbrbgr/monthly-economic-report-june-2018. You don't need to release the info if you don't want to, but do have the info available and tied into the world in a dynamic fashion.

5. If you want regional markets, you will get market manipulation, be prepared for that and be prepared for dumping, artificially high demand from hoarding/cornering the market, and all sorts of nefarious goings on. The devs in Eve are notorious for not giving a hoot about your little squeals when prices go crazy, so if the devs want a real market, they had better turn down the volume of their headsets, because it'll get pretty whiny. 

6. Devs, give absolutely no item away for free. Ever. Except for maybe beginner stuff. 

7. Risk vs. Reward. If there are benefits to guild-run markets, then there must be risks as well. In eve, it's the fact all your stuff might be blown up. Will it be possible to theive, raze or raid guild markets?

This post was edited by Mobius at September 2, 2018 11:58 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    September 2, 2018 5:26 PM PDT

I'm going to have to close this down folks, Pantheon Economy has multiple existing discussions already, please continue in one of those threads, you can find them by clicking on this link which is a search for the word "Economy":

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/search?query=Economy&type=forum_topic&submit=