Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Mechanics!

• 15 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:35 PM PST

I may be using the wrong term here as I am not in the gaming dev industry, but I just had a chance to try out Elder Scrolls. With that said, it seemed really kool until I could not stand the boxey feeling of how the characters move. I am using  the term mechanics as to how the characters move. Anyway, I was really impressed with the graphics and the story line seemed decent. However, it is bad when mechanics and navigation kills a potentially awesome game. Navigation=the dang map suks!!!!  Of course, this is just my opinion. I suppose that the smart thing to do is take some kind of poll to see if the majority would agree with me. Personally, I like the movement in EQ2....it is too bad they killed that game with easy mode, mercs, guild halls and NM...sorry! Gosh! I will just blame all this on Bill Gates...lol! He is retired.... Sorry, had to rant....feedback appreciated....

• 1468 posts
    March 7, 2016 2:13 PM PST

You'll be pleased to know that there is quite a large percentage on this forum who don't want a map at all in Pantheon :). So that would solve that particular problem.

I'm not sure where I stand on the whole map front myself. I tend to get lost really easily although having a map does make the world feel smaller and less wonderous. I guess as long as there is a compass it shouldn't be too bad. If there was a map I'd want it to be as vague as possible with maybe just the major terrain features shown and maybe cities and large outposts but the rest of the map should be blank at least until you explore the area and even then I wouldn't want too much detail.

Edit: I'm playing through Skyrim at the moment just to give myself something to do while I wait for Pantheon. Started a whole new game so that should give me at least 80 hours (if not more) of gameplay. Great game. Have to say I don't really mind the movement in it. But then I'm not really all that fussy about such things.

This post was edited by Cromulent at March 7, 2016 2:15 PM PST
    • 176 posts
    March 16, 2016 7:01 PM PDT

I played eso from beta to about vr12 and I never grouped once I did click the mouse a billion times since there was no auto attack. I can't say the voice acting wasn't neat but was really more of a single player game that you might be able to do a quest with a friend if they had not already quested in that area. I am sure a lot of people love it but I hated it mostly. as far as the movement difference this is due to the fps style no targeting must face the direction you attack. I assume Pantheon will have traditional targeting with mouse look independent of movement direction. 

I think I could go either way on the map. I really don't require it but if it is going to be there perhaps there is something cool like a map skill you must raise to map an area. Everything is gray until you have been there and successfuly mapped it or something. Oh and I think it is better if you have to open your map like your spell book and not always open on the screen. You end up always looking at that stupid arrow in the box instead of the world in front of you. 

This post was edited by Jamie at March 16, 2016 7:04 PM PDT
    • 613 posts
    March 17, 2016 3:09 PM PDT

techdude86 said:

I may be using the wrong term here as I am not in the gaming dev industry, but I just had a chance to try out Elder Scrolls. With that said, it seemed really kool until I could not stand the boxey feeling of how the characters move. I am using  the term mechanics as to how the characters move. Anyway, I was really impressed with the graphics and the story line seemed decent. However, it is bad when mechanics and navigation kills a potentially awesome game. Navigation=the dang map suks!!!!  Of course, this is just my opinion. I suppose that the smart thing to do is take some kind of poll to see if the majority would agree with me. Personally, I like the movement in EQ2....it is too bad they killed that game with easy mode, mercs, guild halls and NM...sorry! Gosh! I will just blame all this on Bill Gates...lol! He is retired.... Sorry, had to rant....feedback appreciated....

I am having the same feeling on the mapping and pretty much painting the golden path on the screen is not the best option.  Clunky movement is a no go for me.  After leaving LotrO and going to say WoW for example that was smooth to a point.   Take that and then hop to GW2 is another type of movement.  I have grown comfortable with the ease of movement.   I am loving the environment of Pantheon and I am hoping movement progresses as the game develops.

Ox

XX