Forums » News and Announcements

Added 2 blogs....

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    March 1, 2016 11:40 PM PST

xtnpd said:

Until Pantheon is closer to launch, I am inclined to blog about more general MMORPG topics.  I certainly can't get into the details of, say, Pantheon's crafting system.  I could write up my thoughts on Instancing in general.  That sort of thing.

I'd love for you to share your thoughts about handling mudflation.  Particularly in two areas: equipment itemization and character skills.  Over time, mudflation always presents a very large hurdle in both these areas, and MMOs typically handle these issues in a variety of ways (mostly through and during expansion content releases).  How do you foresee mudflation management in future MMOs as it relates to a character's skill lines and equipment?

I made a blog about mudflation a while back:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/70/twinking-good-or-evil-or-in-between

Questions and comments welcome.

• 271 posts
    March 2, 2016 12:44 AM PST

Too many things..

(and with nothing set in stone..) But a few things off my mind (excuse the lack of eloquence, but if i start glossing, am gonna start self-censoring me):

- Crafting. Most of the issues you will have to face derive from its outcomes. Therefore, points of consideration:

i) will there be tiers?

ii) will there be a use for lower mat tiers in the crafting of higher level items? Same mistake 99% of the devs do, segregating materials and resources and as such indirectly creating level-niche markets in between

iii) have you decided on BoP/BoA/etc qualities? And if they're to be considered, what/how strict limitations will there be in place?

- Non-group content dropped gear (plain mob drops, quests and related)*

i) a set number of attribute and skill modifiers mixed in the RNG for random results per gear piece? Handcrafted bonues for each and every one? A combination of the two? Less work on the first one, harder to manage, the inverse on the opposite scenario

ii) non-tradeable you mentioned. How about heirloom/account bound? How about upgradeable? You need set a mentality first, obstacles and barriers later

- Group content gear*

i) will you allow for the extra 'carrot' of alt-targetted gear drops?

** Not random musings, you must consider how desireable you make the 'normal drops', vs how 'hard' it will be for someone to bypass the natural order of things

- Pacing, zones in general

i) are you going by the stereotypical lvl1-3->3-5->5-8 scenario? If so, you also gate the instances (not MMO instances, i mean literally) of note in said brackets, meaning you're actually encouraging the player to consider this by a) specifying the range within which he may benefit from it, b) allowing him a clear plan as to when and what he may wish for.

ii) if the above, how do you think of balancing the harder content/group forced of Pantheon with every individual's natural need to manage better? More competition means more about results. A double-edged sword. Not everyone will have a group ready, not everyone lives in the US. Twinking isn't only about ego feeding, actual factors play their role too

- The issue that SHOULD plague you non-end. How much will the prowess of a player be based on what they wear (pixel fever) and how much on their actual skills? Twinking in Lotro and twinking in LineageII are two almost diametrically opposite things, with equally diversified consequences respectively

And last but not least, your post leaves this ambivalent.. how do YOU want this to pan out? Ideally speaking. Set a clear tone :)

I man no offense, just.. too general for anything concrete to be laid down.

This post was edited by Aenra at March 2, 2016 12:56 AM PST
    • 194 posts
    July 5, 2016 6:21 PM PDT

Aradune said:

going to try to blog more, but could use some ideas and topics from the community -- it's always easier for me to write about a topic if I first know people want to hear from me about that topic.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs

One thing that I would find interesting would be your thoughts on 'world building' as it pertains to ongoing development 5, 10 and even more years down the road.  As it seems Pantheon is being designed from the ground up with the idea of both retaining veteran players and attracting new players as the game ages, I'm guessing there have been conversations about how to keep from dividing the player base too much.  I like the stance you and the team has taken with instancing, and it sounds like the Progeny system is being designed with this in mind as well.  But my question is more in regard to the addition of new content:  as content is added over the years and the mean level of the player base shifts towards the higher levels, how are new areas going to be added to prevent separating the active gaming community from the starting areas where new players find themselves?