Forums » Pantheon Races

Languages

• 79 posts
    February 12, 2016 8:51 AM PST

Is this someting you think should be implemented in Pantheon? Languages were purely aesthetic to my knowlege in EQ but if they return as a skill in Pantheon, there is some opportunity to flesh them out and make them more useful. Perhaps having a high skill level in the language of a certain race gives you a higher faction with that race. Or maybe certain quests only become available if you are fluent enough in the language of the quest-giver. I think it would be neat to have non-combat skills have some impact on the game.

• 61 posts
    February 13, 2016 3:08 AM PST

Language should matter, perhaps the ability to select a common language at later level but from 1-10 for example, your chat is in the language and another race shouldnt see/read what you say? In areas like an economic hub, sure you could all "magically" speak common but once you step in normal adventuring zones then you HAVE to either learn the language of other races or suck it up! I mean language after all is purely "cosmetic" since most folks these days run ventrillo or other chat system anyway! I still think it would add to the general immersion.

• 157 posts
    February 13, 2016 6:30 AM PST

Snake says something unintelligible.  (You've gotten better at Ogre)

• 11 posts
    March 1, 2016 11:31 PM PST

If something such as the diplomacy skill from VG gets added, it would make it a bit interesting if you were able to be able to speak to a NPC in his/hers native tongue for a bonus  to "trust" or some such. It would present possbilities for different dialogue options as well when dealing with NPCs in there own language.

One example could be - As an Ogre you ask a Skar npc, "How are you doing?", instead the Skar misunderstands you because he doesn't speak common very well and hears "I've stolen your donkey cart!". This might present some interesting situations for actually learning languages while adding some flavor to the game imo.

• 89 posts
    March 12, 2016 10:15 PM PST

Kalthir said:

If something such as the diplomacy skill from VG gets added, it would make it a bit interesting if you were able to be able to speak to a NPC in his/hers native tongue for a bonus  to "trust" or some such. It would present possbilities for different dialogue options as well when dealing with NPCs in there own language.

One example could be - As an Ogre you ask a Skar npc, "How are you doing?", instead the Skar misunderstands you because he doesn't speak common very well and hears "I've stolen your donkey cart!". This might present some interesting situations for actually learning languages while adding some flavor to the game imo.

Actually, this sounds pretty awesome.  It might have to be prefaced with a little flavor text to let the player know that what he's seeing may not be completely correct but it'd be a big step up from the gibberish we've seen in other games.  It might also be cool to have the game omit and/or add articles or small words to sentences that people say in languages that they're trying to speak that they don't know very well.  Building off your example:

Ogre says, "How are you doing?"

Skar sees, "I have stolen your donkey cart!"

Skar replies, "What? I don't own a donkey cart."

Ogre sees, "How? The cart of the donkey is not belong to I."

• 11 posts
    March 28, 2016 6:48 AM PDT

I can totally see language skill/faction/diplomacy being linked together!  So many possibilities along those lines for sure :-)

• 93 posts
    March 28, 2016 11:21 AM PDT

I would love to see languages in the game. Always loved learning Dragon.

• 3 posts
    June 13, 2016 4:59 PM PDT

I've always been the role play type, and I think if Pantheon is going to bring back the "classic MMO" then we should put a heavy focus on the role playing mentality. Language restriction sounds like a great idea between races. I don't necessarily like the idea of a "common tongue" because it loses the flavor of being proud of your race. Back in the old EQ days, learning a tongue was as simple as joining a group with a friend and having him spam a key attached to a certain phrase for half an hour.

Keep 'em separated!