Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Server firsts - messages items etc...

• 106 posts
    February 10, 2016 10:19 PM PST
    Had a crazy thought and idea. Wanted to share it with the world.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were server first situations where the rest of the server would know about it?

First kill messages etc are easy, and I'm curious to know your thoughts.

But more so, what about a server first version of an item?

For example say you were the first to finish your epic quest, would be cool to get a gold coloured item or maybe a special effect/texture compared to the rest of the items.

Am I breaking immersion too much?

Discuss!
    • 96 posts
    February 10, 2016 10:45 PM PST

I believe this has already been done to a degree in some games right?

At any rate I think it's a great idea! Server first messages for difficult content would be a good way to congratulate players. I don't see it breaking any immersion.

I've never thought of server first items, but that would also be neat too!

Maybe a title of sorts for completing certain server firsts? Like the first epic class, or first guild to defeat end game "Boss".

• 106 posts
    February 10, 2016 10:48 PM PST
    Yeah I guess a lore type message would be cool.

"You feel the land shake as the mighty Lord Nagafen falls, the air feels cooler as his flame has been snuffed by Deadlyfury"

Hahaha that would be awesome
    • 194 posts
    February 10, 2016 11:03 PM PST

I think I must have some ptsd from the constant lockbox messages in Neverwinter, but I have an immediate negative reaction to the thought of notifications everytime someone makes an accomplishment.  That said, if it were only for rare events it wouldn't bother me.  If it were for things that occured frequently during a gaming session I would want it to be a feature that could be toggled off.

• 96 posts
    February 10, 2016 11:04 PM PST

I can't remember if EQ did this originally, but I know it's something that happens now, at least on the TLP servers.

The only difference is, it happens everytime an end game encounter/god is defeated.

I really don't see any reason in doing it past a server first but, it's a possibility.

• 2130 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:09 AM PST

Server first raid kills are cool. I also liked in EQ2 how item discoveries (server firsts) were broadcasted to your guild in an events log.

• 106 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:01 AM PST
    Yeah I agree with all of you, I would hate if it was a regular occurrence, hence the server first thing, and not for every raid mob, like content ending stuff.

This was not done in orginal EQ, but it is pretty annoying having the kill messages in TLP, they are only used as kill timers, which is why I don't want them to be a regular occurrence.

But this was more about items and titles, the other stuff.

I would love a way to know that someone did that first kill or quest or looted that item, not just for the moment, but 10 years down the track when you see them you would know "wow that guy did a server first and he is still playing! What dedication"
    • 9115 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:59 AM PST

VG actually had this implemented too mate, World first kills/discoveries, server first kills/discoveries and entry into tough places like the level 51+ version of PotA after completing all of the pages and entry quests, obviously, this can get annoying if too many things are linked to the broadcasts and if servers get wiped, merge later on down the track it would start all over again but I think for some of the harder stuff like epics and named mobs, raid kills it would be something that I would enjoy seeing :)

• 610 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:25 AM PST

I know im going to be in the minority here but...

I view stuff like this as nothing more that ego stroking so called elites so they can strut around like some peacock thinking they are better than others

I mean, its not a game breaker for me, as long as I am able to turn off the server announcements and not have to deal with it

• 130 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:37 AM PST

Not against it.  I was online when The Sleeper / Kerafyrm got killed on EverQuest, a game-wide notice got sent out.  However, that was particularly special, when nobody except the guilds who did it thought it could be done, in fact, it wasn't even intended to be killed originally ... so.  It was a special moment.  I figure there might be an immediate rush of announcements issued in the beginning but after a while they'd be more sporadic and that'd be fine.

• 66 posts
    February 11, 2016 6:00 AM PST

I'm actually somewhat against promoting game generated "server first" recognition / rewards. For the community to recognize it, that's totally fine, but having the game actually recognize it would kind of make me feel like I failed at the game in a way if someone got their epic before me or whatever (which they definitely will! Lol) It's the OCD completionist in my I guess. I think the completionists here would understand. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 7:57 AM PST

I hated it to a degree when I discover it I want to decide if I should lionk it and brag or leave itas a surprise when someone inspects me.

• 308 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:09 AM PST

Not a fan of it in game, unless the UI is highly customizable and chat system is highly customizable and filterable; i don't want a surfeit of unnecessary spam.

• 157 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:17 AM PST

I’ve never been a fan of these ... unless the announcement truly affects the server population in some tangible way.

• 671 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:31 AM PST

Deadlyfury said: Had a crazy thought and idea. Wanted to share it with the world. Wouldn't it be cool if there were server first situations where the rest of the server would know about it? First kill messages etc are easy, and I'm curious to know your thoughts. But more so, what about a server first version of an item? For example say you were the first to finish your epic quest, would be cool to get a gold coloured item or maybe a special effect/texture compared to the rest of the items. Am I breaking immersion too much? Discuss!

Your incredible idea was used 12 years ago in EverQuest 2.

Even crafting items had server firsts. The first days, weeks and Months was full of srver firsts. I had many. All of them where trivial and meant nothing 4 months in. "Server Firsts" was a waste of time, coding and excitment over Peeps e-measuring.

Visionray Realms needs to move way behind this stuff. More people would pay more per month, not to have it, than to have all legacy ego stroking fluff. MMORPG are about Characters, not the people playing them.

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:45 AM PST

The server firsts only flashed in Guild chat not server wide.  I dont mind that stuff flashing in guild only chat having it flash across the screen every time would be crazy

• 106 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:37 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

Deadlyfury said: Had a crazy thought and idea. Wanted to share it with the world. Wouldn't it be cool if there were server first situations where the rest of the server would know about it? First kill messages etc are easy, and I'm curious to know your thoughts. But more so, what about a server first version of an item? For example say you were the first to finish your epic quest, would be cool to get a gold coloured item or maybe a special effect/texture compared to the rest of the items. Am I breaking immersion too much? Discuss!

Even crafting items had server firsts. The first days, weeks and Months was full of srver firsts. I had many. All of them where trivial and meant nothing 4 months in. "Server Firsts" was a waste of time, coding and excitment over Peeps e-measuring.

Visionray Realms needs to move way behind this stuff. More people would pay more per month, not to have it, than to have all legacy ego stroking fluff. MMORPG are about Characters, not the people playing them.

A simple "immersion breaking" would have sufficed but I know you better than that Hiero lol.

When it's flooded like that, I can see how it can become worthless, but that wasn't what I said, if you read my post as well as the ones that came after it you will see I was taking about TRUE server firsts.

It's not a much ego inflating, but let's you know who was a trailblazer.

That's how I see it anyways, I'm sorry EQ2 killed the idea for you by flooding it with almost every item being a "Server First"

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:42 AM PST

Deadlyfury said:

Hieromonk said:

A simple "immersion breaking" would have sufficed but I know you better than that Hiero lol.

When it's flooded like that, I can see how it can become worthless, but that wasn't what I said, if you read my post as well as the ones that came after it you will see I was taking about TRUE server firsts.

That's how I see it anyways, I'm sorry EQ2 killed the idea for you by flooding it with almost every item being a "Server First"

EQ2 didnt kill it the only thing that flashed were one of a kind Mythical items once looted neevr dropped again.  Later on Mythical class weapons flashed as well but thats it.  Server first discoveres flashed in guild chat windows and thats it.  I liked that part its nice to know I was the first to get that item.

• 610 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:44 AM PST

Deadlyfury said:

Hieromonk said:

But I dont consider them Trailblazers, I really have no desire to see who did what first. I mean honestly what other purpose does it serve except to stroke the ego of the person getting the first? How does it affect me? why should I care? I play an MMO to lose my self in the world...Not have the 6 o'clock news blasting out the latest news about Beiber or the kardashians. I personally hope there is no server wide public channels with the one exception of Server wide announcements from the devs which should only be used in case of emergency shut downs due to maintenance or such things.

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:50 AM PST

Because one second everyong is talking about how it needs to be social and a community but then when it might be inconvient they forget that part and cry about something.  If you want a social game then these messages can help by saying hey Kalgore just looted thisd amazing items lets send him a nice message and say congrats.  Oh Kalgore is a crusader just like me maybe he can offer some help on how to get something amazing like that.

• 106 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:48 PM PST

Sevens said:

Deadlyfury said:

Hieromonk said:

But I dont consider them Trailblazers, I really have no desire to see who did what first. I mean honestly what other purpose does it serve except to stroke the ego of the person getting the first? How does it affect me? why should I care? I play an MMO to lose my self in the world...Not have the 6 o'clock news blasting out the latest news about Beiber or the kardashians. I personally hope there is no server wide public channels with the one exception of Server wide announcements from the devs which should only be used in case of emergency shut downs due to maintenance or such things.

Interesting that you look at it this way.

I hope I can explain how I see it. 

There is a quest, no allakhazam, no wiki, no forum posts saying go this and do that, and if it is done properly very little help in game. 

You are running around aimlessly with some small clues, killing everything and anything to finish this quest.

But once it's done, the info is no known and after a while it's just following steps, don't get me wrong, you still have a sense of accomplishment but being the first would be such a harder task.

Sure you can just not look at the info and do it with none. But it would be cool too see a gold cleric epic not to gloat, but so the rest of terminus knows "I figured it out first!"

I guess it is a little ego inflating, but so is flaunting am epic weapon in general, I think it would just create that little bit more competition

• 610 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:31 PM PST

Interesting that you look at it this way.

I hope I can explain how I see it. 

There is a quest, no allakhazam, no wiki, no forum posts saying go this and do that, and if it is done properly very little help in game. 

You are running around aimlessly with some small clues, killing everything and anything to finish this quest.

But once it's done, the info is no known and after a while it's just following steps, don't get me wrong, you still have a sense of accomplishment but being the first would be such a harder task.

Sure you can just not look at the info and do it with none. But it would be cool too see a gold cleric epic not to gloat, but so the rest of terminus knows "I figured it out first!"

I guess it is a little ego inflating, but so is flaunting am epic weapon in general, I think it would just create that little bit more competition

My whole point is...what purpose does it serve beside an ego stroke? none that I can see

and waving an epic around in general is just the stunt of some little kid who wants attention

besides I am very very much agains having any type of server wide general chat as it is...so no one can wave their e-peen around

Edit..some how screwed up the quoteing, lol oh well I think ppl can follow the conversation

This post was edited by Sevens at February 11, 2016 1:32 PM PST
    • 511 posts
    February 11, 2016 2:28 PM PST

I liked VG's system. I had about 150 or so discoveries in the first day. We were getting upset with other group members when they would "disco" something of worthless value just because it got their name on it. Being the first one to Disco a tuft of rabbit fur is funny but can be get overloaded if every single disco is game wide announced. I did/do not like the EQ prog version of announcing every single kill on Naggy, Vox etc as that gets annoying after the 5th on in the last 30 minutes...

Also along with this, I hope we can get a robust "Armory" type system so we can see our chars and stats out of the game. In WoW this is helpful to raid leaders to see how their team is shaping up and what they can handle. It is also a way to stroke our "epeen" and show how great and mighty we are :D

• 311 posts
    February 11, 2016 4:06 PM PST

I like apw announcement of Kota kill in VG. Specially when I was in a different guild from Trinity when they first came out with APW and Trinity killed kota and my whole raid force cheered and congradulated them for the kill.

• 511 posts
    February 11, 2016 4:50 PM PST

Kazingathi said:

I like apw announcement of Kota kill in VG. Specially when I was in a different guild from Trinity when they first came out with APW and Trinity killed kota and my whole raid force cheered and congradulated them for the kill.

What server was Trinity on, wasn't on my server (Xeth I think before it merged?) as Brotherhood of the Spider was first and I was there for it. In fact I think we were world first? I know we were for many of the other kills.

Further research shows they were on Seradon.

This post was edited by Dreconic at February 11, 2016 4:51 PM PST