Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Log Horizon - Anime

• 238 posts
    February 3, 2016 1:18 AM PST

I thought I would post this hear because I can’t figure a better place to find people who might enjoy this. If you are an anime fan or just a huge mmo fan this show is very cool. There are several “mmo anime” out there but most of them fall very short of knowing what playing an anime is really like. It’s like the people who made those show never truly experienced an MMORPG and where just asked to make them with a small mmo knowledge.

“Log Horizon” on the other hand is defiantly created by people who really know what an MMORPG is all about. I won’t say it’s the best anime ever but it really hits home on allot of mmorpg concepts and it grows on you pretty fast after the first few episodes.

The general story so far (have not finished it myself) is that people who happened to be playing an MMORPG at a certain moment get sucked into the game and wake up as their character. This is called the apocalypse and players have to play the game themselves as their own characters.

They cover topics such as, classes (tank, enchanters, bards…) Pking, /tells, gold farming, raiding, questing, guild halls, dungeon crawls vs camping, PuGs, combat guilds vs crafting guilds, NPCs (Called People of the Land), instances, crafting classes…. And the list goes on.

Here is the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG1VhJ75r8k

Like I said it not the greatest anime ever but if you are a huge MMORPG nerd like myself it has that special insider feel to it. You can watch it for free at kissanime here.

https://kissanime.to/Anime/Log-Horizon

Just scroll down and pick the first episode

Be warned the website can display nsfw ad bars though.

This post was edited by Xonth at February 3, 2016 1:22 AM PST
    • 366 posts
    February 5, 2016 11:06 AM PST

I enjoyed Log horizon immensly too, Xonth!  Wishing for a season 3.   I agree if you are an anime AND and MMO player it is a perfect series. If you are a bit older, and never started watching anime but loved cartoons - give it a try!

This post was edited by Zarriya at February 5, 2016 11:07 AM PST
    • 284 posts
    January 1, 2017 10:15 PM PST

Sorry for the necro. I've been rewatching this anime again recently and it makes me jones for an old school mmo so bad its crazy. Nothing like watching the teamwork and the figuring out of a world that doesn't tell you everything like you're a child.

• 578 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:48 PM PST

If you haven't watched sword art online give it a go. It can be cheesy at times and it does a LOT of hand holding but I found it enjoyable. The hand holding can be bad though, I mean most people who watch it will most likely know how MMOs work and this show goes out of its way to hammer home a lot of MMO features that most people should already know.

And one that I found surprisingly good is Is it Wrong to try and Pick up Girls in a Dungeon. Not neccessarily about MMOs but it has strong video game aspects to it and is pretty good. Dumb long name though lol

• 208 posts
    June 3, 2017 12:37 PM PDT

Aye I recently discovered the anime after watching "is it ok to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?"  That is a highly addictive anime series. It is only 1 season but they just started a spin off on Amazon so *shrugs*  will have to get the money to see if the spin off is as good.  Anyways, I really like Log Horizon but I love "Is it ok to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?" aka Danmachi project.  For background I love the naruto series and decided to see whatelse was out there to watch.  Discovered some good mature ones but the ones that I really love are Naruto, Boruto, Danmachi and Log Horizon.   I highly reccommend that the devs watch Danmachi and Log Horizon before they start doing quests and the like. 

• 724 posts
    June 5, 2017 11:17 PM PDT

Just found this post, thanks a lot for posting it! Watched a few episodes yesterday, and found them really enjoyable. The show highlights some of the experiences most of us probably have made in MMOs, and brings up some good and deep questions!