Forums » The Cleric

Ornate Robes or Shiny Plate?

    • 138 posts
    February 1, 2016 2:03 PM PST

    Which do you prefer; cloth, robed cleric or the full plate cleric? 

    Why?

    I liked the look of plate in EQ1. Dark Elf Cleric is full Hate purple plate with GEBs, Epic, and a glowy off hand looked awesome ;p 

    I am going Cleric. It's what I do. I love to keep people alive. 

     

     

    • 182 posts
    February 2, 2016 4:32 PM PST

    I love the plate-wearing healer.  I think it's mostly mental for me; you know the tank is going to drop a mob at some point, and I like the feeling of being able to stand my ground and take a few whacks while the tank regains agro.  I've been in too many games where the clothies (healers and dps) will take off running when they grab aggro.  I liked the philosophy in old EQ:  Don't run from the tank if you get agro ... you'll only die tired.

    • 219 posts
    February 2, 2016 5:59 PM PST

    Honestly I like a bit of both. Somthing like:
    (Right click + View image for larger view.)


    This post was edited by Kellie at February 2, 2016 6:01 PM PST
    • 138 posts
    February 2, 2016 8:17 PM PST

    Kellie said:

    Honestly I like a bit of both. Somthing like:
    (Right click + View image for larger view.)

    That looks Really Good. Great find. 

    • 138 posts
    February 2, 2016 8:18 PM PST

    Agree xntpd. 

    • 645 posts
    February 10, 2016 3:57 AM PST

    Kellie said:

    Honestly I like a bit of both. Somthing like:
    (Right click + View image for larger view.)

    I love this look...they have announced that clerics will be Heavy plate and Plate woven Raiment so hopefully this is what they have in mind

     

    • 501 posts
    February 10, 2016 4:07 AM PST

    Kellie said:

    Honestly I like a bit of both. Somthing like:
    (Right click + View image for larger view.)

    Thanks for that picture Kellie. 

     

    So now, with the update, we have Heavy Plate Armor& Plate-Woven Raiment.  I play a female character and am excited at the prosepct of plate woven rainment because I like for my characters to be a bit more feminine looking that just plate armor. 

    • 182 posts
    February 10, 2016 7:03 AM PST

    So ... now for the speculation …

    I wonder what the difference between Heavy Plate Armor& Plate-Woven Raiment will be.  Is Plate-Woven Raiment a cosmetic variant of Heavy Plate Armor, or are the two very different in terms of actual in-game armor mechanics? 

    • 645 posts
    February 10, 2016 7:12 AM PST

    xtnpd said:

    So ... now for the speculation …

    I wonder what the difference between Heavy Plate Armor& Plate-Woven Raiment will be.  Is Plate-Woven Raiment a cosmetic variant of Heavy Plate Armor, or are the two very different in terms of actual in-game armor mechanics? 

    It's a mixture of plate and woven raiment for more caster sided Clerics instead of full plate for the more defensively inclined Clerics.

    This is a response I was given when asked about Plate woven raiment. Wonder if full plate will have bonus to buffs cast where as Woven will have bonus to heal spells...

    As long as its not a dress I will be fine with Woven for my healing spec'd cleric...

     

    • 182 posts
    February 10, 2016 7:31 AM PST

    As long as its not a dress I will be fine with Woven for my healing spec'd cleric...

    I'm with you there.  I'd like to see some deviation from male "caster dresses" as well. The general term "raiment" gives me hope.  Sounds like a more formal-looking attire - something a little "softer" than full-on combat gear.  

    We shall see.

    • 645 posts
    February 10, 2016 7:33 AM PST

    If they can do like that picture...plate mixed in with cloth I would be as happy as a mage with KEI

    • 501 posts
    February 10, 2016 10:54 AM PST

    Sevens said:

    If they can do like that picture...plate mixed in with cloth I would be as happy as a mage with KEI

    lol yea Sevens that picture is a big hit !

     

    From facebook:

    Frank Holland Sr What is Plate woven Raiment? Anyway the cleric sounds pretty much like an EQ cleric...my favorite kind! the Ethereal shield sound cool, a stop gap type cc. Good job Brad and Co
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen It's a mixture of plate and woven raiment for more caster sided Clerics instead of full plate for the more defensively inclined Clerics wink emoticon ~Kils


    This post was edited by Zarriya at February 10, 2016 11:35 AM PST
    • 16 posts
    February 10, 2016 12:21 PM PST

    Plate.

     

    When the Cleric pulls agro, and they will occasionally, they need to be able to withstand the abuse long enough for the tank to get agro back.  If the Cleric dies, the tank dies.  If the tank dies, the party dies.

     

    I have always loved playing the little pot bellied dwarf cleric wrapped in plate.

     

     

    • 645 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:59 AM PST

    Zarriya said:

    Sevens said:

    If they can do like that picture...plate mixed in with cloth I would be as happy as a mage with KEI

    lol yea Sevens that picture is a big hit !

     

    From facebook:

    Frank Holland Sr What is Plate woven Raiment? Anyway the cleric sounds pretty much like an EQ cleric...my favorite kind! the Ethereal shield sound cool, a stop gap type cc. Good job Brad and Co
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen It's a mixture of plate and woven raiment for more caster sided Clerics instead of full plate for the more defensively inclined Clerics wink emoticon ~Kils

    Ok now thats just too funny there...that quote you posted from Frank Holland Sr is actually me!

    • 501 posts
    February 11, 2016 4:13 PM PST

    Sevens said:

    Zarriya said:

    Sevens said:

    If they can do like that picture...plate mixed in with cloth I would be as happy as a mage with KEI

    lol yea Sevens that picture is a big hit !

     

    From facebook:

    Frank Holland Sr What is Plate woven Raiment? Anyway the cleric sounds pretty much like an EQ cleric...my favorite kind! the Ethereal shield sound cool, a stop gap type cc. Good job Brad and Co
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen It's a mixture of plate and woven raiment for more caster sided Clerics instead of full plate for the more defensively inclined Clerics wink emoticon ~Kils

    Ok now thats just too funny there...that quote you posted from Frank Holland Sr is actually me!

    Ha - that is pretty ironic! To quote someone for you and it winds up being you! 

    Early on in development the cleric had two subclasses. One wore plate and the other cloth.  I wanted to be the clothie and I was a tad disappointed when they seemed to go away from the two subclasses. Based on these little tidmits of info I would like to give the "caster sided Cleric" a try.  Instead of just plate protecting me, I could have a holy sheild or armor spell on myself, or a divine aggro dump or transfer.

     


    This post was edited by Zarriya at February 11, 2016 4:24 PM PST
    • 90 posts
    February 12, 2016 6:39 AM PST

    I like the sound of plate woven raiment. The picture that Kellie shared is kind of how I would envision a high fantasy cleric class. Leaves the robes to the wizards.

    • 182 posts
    February 13, 2016 6:24 AM PST

    Makes me wonder if the class divides into a less healing oriented option, battle cleric (the plate wearer) and a more casting/ healing branch (more like a clothie).

  • Wig
    • 209 posts
    February 13, 2016 6:39 AM PST
    I thought it was interesting when they said the crusader can heal but not as well as a cleric. I figured a crusader would lean more toward tanking
    • 182 posts
    February 13, 2016 7:16 AM PST

    Crusader might need to make a choice in specialization .. Like what it sounds like the cleric will need to do.  Perhaps the cleric goes heals or damage, and the crusader goes tank or heals?  We won't know until we get a little more information.

    • 16 posts
    February 16, 2016 5:18 PM PST

    Shiny plate for me.

    • 17 posts
    February 20, 2016 1:16 AM PST

    Having been a cleric in EQ1 in full purple plate etc etc, I know what the OP is saying, but I'm glad there is support for all 3 sides (Plate, Cloth and a bit of both!).  This means you can define what you want your cleric to be from its playstyle.  To me a cleric is the warrior of healers, battle hardened and a soldier of healing.  For this reason, I prefer plate, as heavy as it can be :)  I want to take a beating and still get off a heal on the tank (or crazy enchanter thats trying to charm!).

    Cleric all the way for me, in a full set of plate and a floppy morning star :)

     

    - Tazric

    • 15 posts
    February 20, 2016 5:10 PM PST

    I played EQ1 cleric too, I prefer plate for the extra protection.  Plus also I likes looks of plate mail.

    • 3 posts
    March 25, 2016 4:31 PM PDT

    d0rf cleric from EQ1 here.  I love the look of the figurine, that said any cleric that raided EQ1 will know that the look of the ground/wall nearest them was the thing they looked at most haha!  That said, I've never really cared about looks, I cared more for the functionality.  Though in today's technology, we should be able to run large raids and not worry about frame rate and lag in large raids; so my view on looks could be more fluid in PRF.

    • 21 posts
    March 28, 2016 7:14 AM PDT

    Not a direct answer here, but a general statement on this topic- I am thinking that there should be a awesome class set that is voted on by only clerics (mains). However, I also think that anyone playing a cleric should be able to wear the armor appearance that he/she likes. For instance, a female player may want to wear a purple dress :) 

    • 60 posts
    March 28, 2016 7:45 PM PDT

    I completely understand the need for plate, as they need the protection, but a cleric is a healer and healers should be wearing cloth. But for the sake of immersion, how the heck can you heal and aid the wounded clumping around in big armor?!