Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Housing - is it planned to be a major part of the game?

• 2038 posts
    May 12, 2020 10:33 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Kilsin's poll are not dev questions or reworking intents. They are just community entertainment and sharing.

I wasn't claiming that every one of his 'community questions' is carefully planned by the Developers. But it strains credibility to suggest that he chooses his questions with NO regard for the plans and intentions of VR as a whole.

An employee in a public relations position who gave no consideration to the wishes or needs of his employers when making public statements would not remain in his position very long. Thus if VR had already decided to drop plans for player housing, it would be counter-productive to imply the exact opposite by asking "Community Debate - Open World Housing vs Instanced Housing" which was posted in Oct 2018. Particularly as it was spread across multiple media.

• 2752 posts
    May 12, 2020 11:28 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Thus if VR had already decided to drop plans for player housing, it would be counter-productive to imply the exact opposite by asking "Community Debate - Open World Housing vs Instanced Housing" which was posted in Oct 2018. Particularly as it was spread across multiple media.

Player housing has never been planned so there is nothing to drop. They, or at least Brad, was pretty clear on what they envisioned player buildings to be about, and it has little to nothing to do with player housing.

• 1404 posts
    May 12, 2020 12:17 PM PDT

Jothany said:

nexus said: A little scary when the official response points us to a FAQ that is over 3 years old.

The age of the FAQ is even less relevant when VR posted a thread only 18 months ago asking our preference between instanced and open world. If they were leaning towards dropping housing from the plans, they would have no reason to bring it up for discussion. And if they were re-assessing player attitudes, then the poll they ran on Twitter showed ¾ of the respondents wanted housing.

3/4 of the people on several forms of social media say a lot of things, that doesn't mean it's what's best for the game or even that it's 3/4 of the potential player base.

It's simply 3/4 of those potential players that use that particular social media. 

And experience has shown that cross section is wrong. That is who asked for fast travel, coins not having weight, hand holding and "it would be much easier if it was like this!!"

It means nothing.

• 3852 posts
    May 12, 2020 1:46 PM PDT

>Player housing has never been planned so there is nothing to drop.<

I am pretty sure they discussed it as something that wouldn't be in the game at release but was anticipated afterwards. 

• 1479 posts
    May 12, 2020 2:35 PM PDT

dorotea said:

>Player housing has never been planned so there is nothing to drop.<

I am pretty sure they discussed it as something that wouldn't be in the game at release but was anticipated afterwards. 

They explained the concept of outpost which would require maintenance and player handwork as guilds to obtain them and sustain them, while offering benefits not only for the guild but also for any player coming that could use the security of the outpost to rest and such. That's all I have heard about housing to whatever extent it is, if it's something you missed/didn't remember.

• 2038 posts
    May 12, 2020 8:02 PM PDT

Iksar said: Player housing has never been planned so there is nothing to drop. They, or at least Brad, was pretty clear on what they envisioned player buildings to be about, and it has little to nothing to do with player housing.

The very first page of this thread, from 2016, has this reply from Kilsin as the first reply:

Kilsin said: From our FAQ: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q33

"Will there be crafted or player housing?

Eventually, yes, although whether it will be something we can offer at release or something we offer after launch is still up in the air at this point. We can say that our desire for creating housing, outposts, and other types of buildings is to be able to place them in non-instanced parts of the real game world and have them impact gameplay (as opposed to having housing that is purely cosmetic)."

7 replies down from Kilsin's post above, Aradune adds his opinion:

Aradune said:

...So we are determined to do it (I absolutely love housing done right, again having an impact and having real reasons to have these structures), it is indeed part of the Grand Vision behind Pantheon, but it will be a signfiicant endeavor.  It's something we 'almost' got to and implemented correctly in Vangaurd, but like ships and other significant systems, we just ran out of time and money, so what you saw in Vanguard wasn't a true realization of the Grand Vision.  Wiith Pantheon, it must be done right.

So yes, housing will be a major part of the game, and because it will be major, at least according to the development plan we have now, it most likely will not be present at lauch but rather a signficant, meaningful, and truly impactful and fun system that we add post-launch.

So while things certainly change during development and I'm well aware of Brad's ideas on Outposts (and really look forward to them),

I'm afraid it is not quite true that housing "has never been planned".

• 2038 posts
    May 12, 2020 8:12 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

3/4 of the people on several forms of social media say a lot of things, that doesn't mean it's what's best for the game or even that it's 3/4 of the potential player base.

It's simply 3/4 of those potential players that use that particular social media. 

And experience has shown that cross section is wrong. That is who asked for fast travel, coins not having weight, hand holding and "it would be much easier if it was like this!!"

It means nothing.

You are absolutely correct that opinions expressed on internet forums - even by 570 individuals who all agree - "means nothing".

I wasn't actually claiming that it did, but apparently I wasn't clear enough about it for you to get my point. Sorry you wasted an argument :)

I'm also sorry those 570 respondents - and I - don't agree with you.