Forums » The Ogres

Ogre Clans, their gods and those tomes: What possibilities?

• 791 posts
    January 3, 2016 3:06 PM PST

So in the lore of our beloved Ogres, they are divided into seven clans though we only know the name of a few (Bloodmare, Black Moon, Way of Asturr and Dark Sun).  I'm wondering what possibilities there might arise from having, at least, a few clans within the Ogre race?  Perhaps intra-Ogre factions with certain classes appearing within one clan but not another?  Warriors from Black Moon, DireLords from Bloodmare and Shaman from Way of Asturr?  You wouldn't be KOS to other clans but perhaps dubious at least, unable to purchase from their shops or talk with their members.

The seven clans each had a tome, one piece of a larger puzzle that is all the knowledge handed down by the gods.  As each clan only had a portion it might stand that to fully train in your class you have to raise all your clan standings as each clan has knowledge the others lack.  Spellbooks and skills would have gaps in them otherwise.

With different clans, each given a different tome, and there are mentions of 'gods' (plural), this might open to the door to choosing a diety upon character creation and that diety choice having bonuses to particular stats or a special ability.  And with the tomes now missing might there be some life-long quest to locate and return the tomes to their respective clan?  That could be interesting.

• 267 posts
    March 12, 2017 4:28 PM PDT

Sorry it took me so long to respond but this occured to me recently,  Could it be that the reason ogres are so focused on War is because they have to win back their beloved books by war/might?  Hence the prupose of the ogres is all consuming because they want the wisdom from their gods even if the wisdom no longer applies to the world that they are living in.   I can see all of the scenarios you discuss Vandraad as well as a few others.  I guess there is a big difference in game terms of Intelligence and wisdom especially when it deals with the perception of the Ogre race.

• 1707 posts
    March 13, 2017 7:33 AM PDT

What we know now is only scratching the surface.  I'm super excited to learn more about the different clans, books, etc.  I really enjoy the depth of each race, and how they all bring something unique to the game.  There is no uniform approach where all races have different criteria for X, Y, and Z.  They each have their own alphabet and play by different rules, and in many different aspects.

• 80 posts
    April 19, 2017 1:21 AM PDT

The biggest thought on my mind currently, is which clan will I belong to IC'ly.  Surely each clan differs greatly among their cultures and what they most cherish.  Some of the seven original clans might have parished over the last few year, while new clans might have formed due to the termoil and the desire to survive in a new world that probably makes little sense to the Ogre.  They in essence, a broken people now.  

• 12 posts
    May 2, 2017 1:40 PM PDT

Farrinard said:

The biggest thought on my mind currently, is which clan will I belong to IC'ly.  Surely each clan differs greatly among their cultures and what they most cherish.  Some of the seven original clans might have parished over the last few year, while new clans might have formed due to the termoil and the desire to survive in a new world that probably makes little sense to the Ogre.  They in essence, a broken people now.  

I feel it. We definately need some more Lore tossed at us! 

• 791 posts
    May 2, 2017 7:07 PM PDT

It has been mentioned on several threads and in the latest live streams that each race will have a weapon type that they are the most skilled at using with all the other weapons having a lower proficiency cap.  I wonder what weapon type the Ogres will use best?  My best guess is 2-Handed Blunt.  Huge hammers, big bulky staves, massive flails.

• 1566 posts
    May 2, 2017 7:21 PM PDT

Halflings corpses are the preferred Ogre weapon.

• 237 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:58 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

It has been mentioned on several threads and in the latest live streams that each race will have a weapon type that they are the most skilled at using with all the other weapons having a lower proficiency cap.  I wonder what weapon type the Ogres will use best?  My best guess is 2-Handed Blunt.  Huge hammers, big bulky staves, massive flails.

One can only hope...

• 267 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:53 PM PDT

Over the years my preference for blunt weapons has increased significantly.  I hope that Ogres special weapon is blunt weapons.  Swords to me are great if you are trying to open a can to get to the food

• 1566 posts
    May 8, 2017 6:15 PM PDT

I like huge hammers and spiked flails.

• 18 posts
    June 1, 2017 3:43 PM PDT

I want a big 2 Handed Hammer  :)   So that I can "Whack" stinky dragons on the head.  

The books and lore of this class sound very interesting.  I see some lore quests in that whole line and some faction grinding to get faction up with each clan?  Perhaps to get certain items or get status with the clans in order to get an epic weapon or combine or something?