Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Forced to Role Play?

• 154 posts
    March 26, 2017 2:51 PM PDT

Dorotea, sorry about that. Either I miststated or was misunderstood. I'll try to clarify. I do not recall in EQ GM's enforcing RP rules for RP servers. The Rpers who played there for the most part did that on their own. They really loved their RP. Ferona Vie Server ( forgive if I mispelled it ) was the RP server I was thinking of. The players there were nice, but often tried to ignor you if you were not in character. In fairness they would let you know they appreciated it if you stayed in character as much as possible. It was their form of immesion after all. I respected that. That was my experience with then when communicating either in /say or /zone chats. They would reply to a tell if it was not in character though many preferd it short and sweet, so they could get back to their Rping. Nothing wrong with that. Those of us logging in knew the rules for that server in advance. 

I think my overall point was missed. That's to say that The topic at hand with regards to Atmosphere/climate forcing one to role play. I don't see it that way. Then again we all have our own points of view.

• 801 posts
    March 27, 2017 7:55 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

So what is the effect other than spell changes? I'd hate to have casters be the only ones stuck with environmental impacts.  

What happens to you over time as you wander around a zone without zone appropriate resists?  Also, does this effect lessen as you level up?  Typically resists vs NPCs take into account your level vs the level of the NPC.  Will a ice cavern dungeon that is for lvl 10-20 affect lvl 10s in the same proportion as a lvl 50?

The effect cannot be so trivial as to be ignored yet it can't be so significant that the environmental effect, added to what you deal with when facing the NPCs, overwhelms the players.

Would food/drink consumption changes be enough of a penalty?  Do you want some constant DoT-like effect?  Or a random damage hit of varying strength?  Perhaps movement penalties? Or weapon speed penalties (cold making you slow? sure, but hot making you slow?) 

I think it wont be as effective (top crits) without a lightning storm in the area.

but i am not in alpha yet so i have no clue, see it is believing it.

• 610 posts
    March 27, 2017 1:35 PM PDT

Forced Role Play?

Is this a serious post? I mean really?

SMH

This post was edited by Sevens at March 27, 2017 1:35 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    March 28, 2017 6:52 AM PDT

>I do not recall in EQ GM's enforcing RP rules for RP servers. The Rpers who played there for the most part did that on their own. They really loved their RP. Ferona Vie Server ( forgive if I mispelled it ) was the RP server I was thinking of. The players there were nice, but often tried to ignor you if you were not in character. In fairness they would let you know they appreciated it if you stayed in character as much as possible. It was their form of immesion after all. I respected that. That was my experience with then when communicating either in /say or /zone chats. They would reply to a tell if it was not in character though many preferd it short and sweet, so they could get back to their Rping. Nothing wrong with that. Those of us logging in knew the rules for that server in advance. <

Yes that is my understanding of how RP servers generally worked back then. Today it seems as if no one really cares anymore - at least not enough of us - and the great bulk of roleplaying is in guilds.