Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Forced to Role Play?

• 70 posts
    December 29, 2015 2:05 PM PST

Welcome to the boards. I respectfully disagree with your post.

I don't see this set of rules as forcing me to role play, but rather to follow the rules of the world environment around me. EQ did this in a less envionmentally obvious way: heat based spells did not work as well in Lavastorm as cold based spells did, and vice versa.

Game develpment, now, allows more control of our world environment in game, I love that it's being incorporated here.

EQ was a game of much more than simply running from zone to zone killing mobs. It paid to know your world even then, before the fanastic things that can now be done to REALLY make us aware of the world around us.

I love the idea.

Krixus said:

I will say I don't like the idea of a lot of situational gear.

If I recall correctly, entire gear set could be changed out with one command key back in the day.  I would guess that is possible here. But, EQ, VG, and 100% sure Pantheon are not 'speed racer' gaming. The play is what its all about, now how fast it can be done, Imo. 

So I see nothing wrong with having to 'dress for the climate'. I am going to guess, based on EQ, VG experience, that bag/inventory space will be advanced enough as we level, to carry it easily. By the time we get high enough to have earned/crafted the gear and equipment we carry, or bank, I don't think that changing it out is going to be a problem. It adds another layer of depth to this world.

I for one, love the idea of exploring a zone and discovering that I need to retreat and earn some frost gear or freeze my butt off. The more immersion, the better. Imo.

• 68 posts
    December 30, 2015 7:02 AM PST

Thanks for your replies everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I still think this is something that would become aggravating for me. If i may put it this way, as far as I know we have a set spell bar and will have to memorize spells like EQ. We will have to switch out spells based on situations, which is fine. What I dont want is a few spells that arent worth having on my bar unless there is a storm or something nearby. I do not want to say, "Heyi wonder if that storm is close enough to warrant having this spell on my bar, let me go into my spell book and see". "Nope, its not close enough back to my other spells". 

This seems like a lot of work for nothing. Unless they are going to have some kind of message flash across the screen (which would be annoying and break immersion to say the least) how are we going to know when we are supposed to use these spells? I can guarantee you that any spell that gets a big boost from an environment like this most likely wont be worth having on my bar at all times because other spells will be more powerful in their normal state.

I love that some people brought up situation gear as well. I am not opposed to the idea as long as it doesnt get out of hand. Inventory management is not fun at all and I hope is kept to a minumum.

• 149 posts
    December 30, 2015 8:17 AM PST

Hello Beautifully! I personally do not see this as "forced role-playing" I see this as game mechanics. It is really no different than playing any other MMORPG and needing to following fight mechanics to down the boss instead of any random thing you feel like doing.

I am sure the developers will design it so that any class will not be 100% blocked out of all spells/abilities at any given time but will block off certain abilities/spells so you need to be more strategic about how you play or approach a given situation.

• 1714 posts
    December 30, 2015 9:40 AM PST

Graysilk said:

Welcome to the boards. I respectfully disagree with your post.

I don't see this set of rules as forcing me to role play, but rather to follow the rules of the world environment around me. EQ did this in a less envionmentally obvious way: heat based spells did not work as well in Lavastorm as cold based spells did, and vice versa.

Game develpment, now, allows more control of our world environment in game, I love that it's being incorporated here.

EQ was a game of much more than simply running from zone to zone killing mobs. It paid to know your world even then, before the fanastic things that can now be done to REALLY make us aware of the world around us.

I love the idea.

Krixus said:

I will say I don't like the idea of a lot of situational gear.

If I recall correctly, entire gear set could be changed out with one command key back in the day.  I would guess that is possible here. But, EQ, VG, and 100% sure Pantheon are not 'speed racer' gaming. The play is what its all about, now how fast it can be done, Imo. 

So I see nothing wrong with having to 'dress for the climate'. I am going to guess, based on EQ, VG experience, that bag/inventory space will be advanced enough as we level, to carry it easily. By the time we get high enough to have earned/crafted the gear and equipment we carry, or bank, I don't think that changing it out is going to be a problem. It adds another layer of depth to this world.

I for one, love the idea of exploring a zone and discovering that I need to retreat and earn some frost gear or freeze my butt off. The more immersion, the better. Imo.

I never knew of any one click swap for gear in EQ, but like I said in another post, there are were many iterations upon the game. To me, hot swapping gear sets is the antithesis of what EQ was about. 

I hate the idea of the significant use of situational gear because it undermines the connection I have to my main gear, and my gear as a whole. I don't want to have to unequip my hero bracer and have it sit in a bag because I needed 10 more fire resist to even compete in the zone. I want to go get my cool gear and be able to rock it. And of course there will be the situational use of gear, but I don't like the idea of it on anything resembling a regular basis. Do you really want to get that epic class BP from the rare rare drop and have to take it off? 

• 1778 posts
    December 30, 2015 10:35 AM PST
    @Krixus

Cant answer for everyone to that last question but yes. Yes I do. To me its not about taking it off. Its about having it when you need it. Because you WILL need it. That being said there is nothing saying you cant still wear that epic class BP. You just have to way the pros/cons. Does that gear bring something important enough to the table that youd rather wear that than something with good stats( not great) but with great cold resistance. It comes down to making choices important. Besides if that 1 piece is important enough then use it and bulk up in other slots for cold protection.
    • 1714 posts
    December 30, 2015 10:58 AM PST

Amsai said: @Krixus Cant answer for everyone to that last question but yes. Yes I do. To me its not about taking it off. Its about having it when you need it. Because you WILL need it. That being said there is nothing saying you cant still wear that epic class BP. You just have to way the pros/cons. Does that gear bring something important enough to the table that youd rather wear that than something with good stats( not great) but with great cold resistance. It comes down to making choices important. Besides if that 1 piece is important enough then use it and bulk up in other slots for cold protection.

The more gear you are required to carry per slot, the less the gear matters. Do you really want 3 breastplates?  I want those epic items that you paid "blood, sweat and tears" for. I don't want to take those items off unless I get another amazing upgrade. And sure, there were powerful and situational items that we loved to have. Throw up the BEP to tank and then the Rubi BP to regen. That was fun. I'm just saying, we shouldn't be carrying around multiple sets of gear at one time. 

• 1778 posts
    December 30, 2015 11:21 AM PST
    I actually dont see how you could come to that conclusion. If anything gear matters more and it allows you to treasure each piece longer. You probably had to be there but its just not how it turned out in XI. Of course I can say this with experience and reference because XI was all about side grades/situational gear. Now it is true that Pantheon is taking it in a different direction but the principle is very similar. In XI I spent years in endgame content chasing down multiple FULL different gear sets that I carried around. Lets see I had full evasion, enmity, haste, magic attack, weapon skill damage, accuracy, HPs/damage reduction, etc. It was great fun and all my endgane gear was important and cherished for years and believe me I paid for it in blood, sweat, and delevels!
    • 1714 posts
    December 30, 2015 11:58 AM PST

Amsai said: I actually dont see how you could come to that conclusion. If anything gear matters more and it allows you to treasure each piece longer. You probably had to be there but its just not how it turned out in XI. Of course I can say this with experience and reference because XI was all about side grades/situational gear. Now it is true that Pantheon is taking it in a different direction but the principle is very similar. In XI I spent years in endgame content chasing down multiple FULL different gear sets that I carried around. Lets see I had full evasion, enmity, haste, magic attack, weapon skill damage, accuracy, HPs/damage reduction, etc. It was great fun and all my endgane gear was important and cherished for years and believe me I paid for it in blood, sweat, and delevels!

Don't see? Then stop and think about it. The less you wear an item, the less it matters. Maybe that's the direction they are going. This isn't an EQ clone and I'm not going to get everything I liked about EQ, nor should I. The game needs to evolve. But my point is simple. EQ gave you that amazing rush when you got THAT item, you know the one. If you're swapping other items into that slot very often, that item loses value. Loot in EQ was the best and most important in any gave I've ever played. I hope they don't water it down. 

• 1778 posts
    December 30, 2015 12:19 PM PST
    But I loved all my gear. And I had that "it" feeling from every rate gear drop. I sorta see what your saying but I guess XI gives me a different outlook. Gear was very very important in XI. And think about it this way, the more situations you have the more important it is to have that gear. And you can strive for the best gear. So you might want a badass sword. Then you need to think about where you will be camping. Do you need that badass sword of flame or the ice? They are still the most badass weapons in their category. Also keep in mind you might just be able to use a different but not weak weapon. So in an ice area you could use Idk maybe a badass earth sword. In a fire area maybe your healer is a boss or you guys have cold resistant potions so wear what ya want. I dont think the atmospheres wull just have 1 method for mitigating them.
    • 1714 posts
    December 30, 2015 12:27 PM PST

Amsai said: But I loved all my gear. And I had that "it" feeling from every rate gear drop. I sorta see what your saying but I guess XI gives me a different outlook. Gear was very very important in XI. And think about it this way, the more situations you have the more important it is to have that gear. And you can strive for the best gear. So you might want a badass sword. Then you need to think about where you will be camping. Do you need that badass sword of flame or the ice? They are still the most badass weapons in their category. Also keep in mind you might just be able to use a different but not weak weapon. So in an ice area you could use Idk maybe a badass earth sword. In a fire area maybe your healer is a boss or you guys have cold resistant potions so wear what ya want. I dont think the atmospheres wull just have 1 method for mitigating them.

I hope they can make a game where I love all my gear. There are a lot of unknowns about how things are going to evolve right now, obviously. Inflation/deflation is one of my greatest fears in these games. Things devalue at such a rapid pace, which in turn makes the game itself devalue. 

• 1778 posts
    December 30, 2015 12:37 PM PST
    And I agree with that for sure Krixus. In all things there must be a good balance and testing to ensure that as well as making sure that things "fit" and make sense. Im also a fan of the Nintendo philosphy: Is it fun!(please dont misread that as I want paper mario mmo lol).
    • 671 posts
    December 31, 2015 3:39 PM PST

beautifully said:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I still think this is something that would become aggravating for me. If i may put it this way, as far as I know we have a set spell bar and will have to memorize spells like EQ. We will have to switch out spells based on situations, which is fine. What I dont want is a few spells that arent worth having on my bar unless there is a storm or something nearby. I do not want to say, "Heyi wonder if that storm is close enough to warrant having this spell on my bar, let me go into my spell book and see". "Nope, its not close enough back to my other spells". 

This seems like a lot of work for nothing. Unless they are going to have some kind of message flash across the screen (which would be annoying and break immersion to say the least) how are we going to know when we are supposed to use these spells? I can guarantee you that any spell that gets a big boost from an environment like this most likely wont be worth having on my bar at all times because other spells will be more powerful in their normal state.

I love that some people brought up situation gear as well. I am not opposed to the idea as long as it doesnt get out of hand. Inventory management is not fun at all and I hope is kept to a minumum.

The above^ highlighted is called being prepared.

If you know you've just entered a colder climate & subsequently do not take the time (in your travels) to adjust your spells for the situation you are in...  means you are lazy.

and I quote:  " What I dont want is a few spells that arent worth having on my bar unless there is a storm or something nearby. I do not want to say, "Heyi wonder if that storm is close enough to warrant having this spell on my bar, let me go into my spell book and see". "Nope, its not close enough back to my other spells".  "

Subsequently, if a certain spell doesn't warrant being on YOUR spell bar, because you don't like the odds vs environment of a certain spell kit...  makes you a situational player. One who is aware and changes and adapt to the situation. Where as..  another identical class (player) as you, might not even be considering such things (their current spell kit) and taking the time to prepare for the newer environment the've encountered, etc.

I call these nuances, things depth of gameplay and knowledge of game mechanics. Doesn't matter what gear you have as a druid, or how great you think u are, if u didn't have evac up... or the wizard who forgot to have root memorized.. 

OP.. the things as you've just played off as "not fun" are the differences between a mediocre player & a good player...   One who is ready, one who is not...  Pantheon is not an arcade game, there are logical reasons why a spell would react different depending on it's env.

Save vs Throws goes back to pen & paper games. The uncertainty of the dice roll, is what make it great.

• 68 posts
    January 1, 2016 7:51 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

beautifully said:

If you know you've just entered a colder climate & subsequently do not take the time (in your travels) to adjust your spells for the situation you are in...  means you are lazy.

and I quote:  " What I dont want is a few spells that arent worth having on my bar unless there is a storm or something nearby. I do not want to say, "Heyi wonder if that storm is close enough to warrant having this spell on my bar, let me go into my spell book and see". "Nope, its not close enough back to my other spells".  "

Subsequently, if a certain spell doesn't warrant being on YOUR spell bar, because you don't like the odds vs environment of a certain spell kit...  makes you a situational player. One who is aware and changes and adapt to the situation. Where as..  another identical class (player) as you, might not even be considering such things (their current spell kit) and taking the time to prepare for the newer environment the've encountered, etc.

I call these nuances, things depth of gameplay and knowledge of game mechanics. Doesn't matter what gear you have as a druid, or how great you think u are, if u didn't have evac up... or the wizard who forgot to have root memorized.. 

OP.. the things as you've just played off as "not fun" are the differences between a mediocre player & a good player...   One who is ready, one who is not...  Pantheon is not an arcade game, there are logical reasons why a spell would react different depending on it's env.

Save vs Throws goes back to pen & paper games. The uncertainty of the dice roll, is what make it great.

I think you missed the entire point and its clear you think you are some amazing player with extrordinary skills. How you can compare having evac or root up to this is beyond me and is not even in the same realm. Root and evac almost never left your bar in a group. I understand if there is an entire ZONE that, once entered, would make a spell more powerful but from what I am reading this is not the case.

Do you REALLY want to drop everything you are doing to see if that storm is close enough to warrant memorizing a spell(or two)? Because that does not sound fun to me. This is the reason games gave you many different spell bars (like eq2) because no one likes going into your spell book over and over and over and over.

"OP.. the things as you've just played off as "not fun" are the differences between a mediocre player & a good player...   One who is ready, one who is not...  Pantheon is not an arcade game, there are logical reasons why a spell would react different depending on it's env."

If you can explain one please do other than a lightning storm. If you are saying a cold spell would work better in a frozen zone and a fire spell better in a fire zone you are going against every game ever made. It is indeed exacly the opposite. And, like i said previously those would be zonesand would make sense to change a few spells around anyway (IE fire spells in a cold zone). What I am specifically talking about is you are wandering around and there are storms or tornadoes or whatever weather happens to be close and you have to constantly change your spells around, that is tedious and boring.

Why spend time doing this when there is much more you could be doing? Like enjoying the game.

• 2138 posts
    January 1, 2016 5:09 PM PST

Brings up a good point about spell management I think, as a necessary part of learned game play that you can tell is obvious in players that dont know their class from being powerleveled.

EQ did have a function where you could mem spells in a series, so for 8 spell slots ( heh 7) you could determine a "set" and then deretmine other sets and call them other names. So you could drop, call the spell set, and wait slightly less time to mem the whole set as it as loaded automatically.

However, before this was in, I knew Mages like myself that would diligently manage their spell books and spend some time shuffling things around whenever I leveled and had to incorporate new spells. For instance: I had a corpse run set, that included all the armors I could summon, plus related weapons, and then another for jewelry that I would summon once our naked selves were together and hand out- I could med on the run, on the way to, after everyone got their gear and jewelry.

In one instance, I was in a good group , Tank, Cleric, Shaman, Chanter and me and another mage (two mages!). We were doing famously on high level ice giants, but on one pull it seemed things got out of hand. The cleric died. Chanter next, then Shaman, Both of us mages then - and it was so innate to us that it appeared choreographed- we both dropped, and memmed Earth and Gate spells, in the exact same amount of time and stood up at the same time and cast the earth elementals at the same time just before the warrior died. While the gate spell was swirling around us we turned to each other and that the same time said "GATE!"  And the other mage was the older more seasoned mage. After we gated out he said in group " I love you Manouk" lol.The rest of the group was pleased we got out, but we weren't- it's a mage thing. Got back in record time and started all over again, Chanter said one was resisting alot, and the shaman and cleric could not land roots or slows, so one must have had very high resists or the RNG was against everyone, except the warrior as he held three untill the end, never had so many dodges in a row he said.  

• 103 posts
    March 23, 2017 11:31 PM PDT

I see how you can see it as RP, but in my opinion its giving the world more meaning and giving us players more of a challange. From the very start they stated that this wasn't going to be your average MMO, everything's going to be a lot more difficult and the different climates are just adding to the fun. Furthermore, giving the climates to purely RP servers would give us a larger challange and would be greatly unfair. It would most likely be seen as a penalty for RPers and would drive people away from the servers.

• 187 posts
    March 24, 2017 2:48 AM PDT

MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game.

You will be forced to roleplay. Accept it out don't play a role-playing game. Don't play a strategy game and complain that strategy is necessary. Don't play a flight simulator and complain you get air sick.

There is no logic in your complaint. You will be forced to play a class and a race, this ROLE PLAY. They are not hiding their intent in the tiniest way. They want people immersed in A WORLD, not a GAME. They aren't even pretending this is a strategy or MOBA game.

It is an MMORPG. If you're going to play it, you'll be forced to roleplay because that's the genre. It's that simple.

• 363 posts
    March 24, 2017 8:14 AM PDT

This is not forced roleplay, this is tactical combat.

And this is coming from someone who has never actually roleplayed in a MMO.

This post was edited by Flossie at March 24, 2017 8:15 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    March 24, 2017 8:38 AM PDT

cladari said:

I'm betting ya'll will be singing a different tune when you have to grind a bunch of situational armor to min/max certain raid bosses. I can almost bet that it won't effect all classes equally so the boards will be filled with qq about class xx only needs 9 special items but class yy needs 14.

EQ druids had outdoor only spells and that made no sense at all. You want me to make a detour around a tornado or hurricane fine, don't make my grind gear for every situation, not even rings and ears. 

Use of special spells or a certain class of spells against certain mobs is fine except when you figure that you can't keep all abilities up all the time. Run into a fire lord and you need your ice spells but your bar is loaded with fire spells? Now what? Run for your life and try to find a safe spot to rotate your spell bar then run back? Silly ...

I just don't think this aspect is new or ground breaking, just an extra pain.

To be completely honest i can see only a slight few zones actually be effecting players in a harmful way, maybe a tornado or something easy to dodge in a since but like cold weather harming you an stuff like this i can see be a high lvl area, or a rare mid level zone but easier to gear to than the high lvl one.  Plus most of the time if you fight something like a "fire lord" i'm sure your not in a place that looks like a blizzard so im guessing you should alrdy have your "ice Spells" alrdy loaded if you haven't alrdy.

• 3852 posts
    March 24, 2017 8:42 AM PDT

I do not see either situational use of gear or environmental effects on player abilities as even remotely related to roleplaying.

To me roleplaying is when you act as if you WERE your character. Saying "Let me gain another level and I will log on an alt" is the player speaking. Saying "Let me finish destroying this nest of goblins and it will be time to rest - I will try and contact my sister who is a healer and she if she can get here" is roleplaying. Obviously a simplistic view in the extreme but a fairly common shorthand way to explain what roleplaying is. At least among roleplayers.

Somewhat off the topic of roleplaying - I like situational use of gear but ONLY if it can conveniently be carried. It may be quite realistic to be able to tote along only one set of armor, but do I want to have to decide whether to wear the neutral set in the morning, the fire resistant set or the cold resistant set? Not really. Do I want to see a fire elemental and say "oh spit I am SO dead" or "really easy fight I hope it drops something good" based solely on what pants I chose to wear when I got up? Not really. Reminds me of early Dungeons and Dragons (a game I loved) where a first level mage might have one spell to memorize in the morning. Sleep or magic missile. See 4 goblins and you darn well better have sleep. See an ogre and the reverse was true. Very realistic but you might spend the whole playing session totally useless other than the D4 damage your dagger could produce. Minus 1 for your low strength.

Similar thoughts on situational use of spells. Fine but don't make me rummage through pages and pages listing every spell I can cast as the elemental is killing me. Give me enough quickbar room to include both frost bolt and fire bolt if both are important spells and I might need either based on the nature of the foe.

• 1584 posts
    March 24, 2017 8:56 AM PDT

beautifully said:

Hieromonk said:

beautifully said:

I think you missed the entire point and its clear you think you are some amazing player with extrordinary skills. How you can compare having evac or root up to this is beyond me and is not even in the same realm. Root and evac almost never left your bar in a group. I understand if there is an entire ZONE that, once entered, would make a spell more powerful but from what I am reading this is not the case.

Do you REALLY want to drop everything you are doing to see if that storm is close enough to warrant memorizing a spell(or two)? Because that does not sound fun to me. This is the reason games gave you many different spell bars (like eq2) because no one likes going into your spell book over and over and over and over.

"OP.. the things as you've just played off as "not fun" are the differences between a mediocre player & a good player...   One who is ready, one who is not...  Pantheon is not an arcade game, there are logical reasons why a spell would react different depending on it's env."

If you can explain one please do other than a lightning storm. If you are saying a cold spell would work better in a frozen zone and a fire spell better in a fire zone you are going against every game ever made. It is indeed exacly the opposite. And, like i said previously those would be zonesand would make sense to change a few spells around anyway (IE fire spells in a cold zone). What I am specifically talking about is you are wandering around and there are storms or tornadoes or whatever weather happens to be close and you have to constantly change your spells around, that is tedious and boring.

Why spend time doing this when there is much more you could be doing? Like enjoying the game.

I understand what your saying but to make it simplair the lightning spell wouldn't be stronger becuase the storm bring lightning but more of the fact it bring rain imho, so i would say lightning would hurt more if it's raining and water creatures, and ice to fire, fire to ice

• 542 posts
    March 24, 2017 10:33 AM PDT

Amsai said: This is just tactical gameplay that requires you to use situational gear and abilities.

Narben4 said:

i actually consider it to be true Player vs ENVIRONMENT.

This <3

It is strange that when suggesting much needed depth to the bland games MMOs have become,that people pull the "being forced" card.
    And it is not this topic only

but it has become a trend everywhere;Any time a suggestion is made to create more depth.
    Since it adds tactical gameplay ,the only thing you could mention you are forced to use is the brain.
    In my view that would be a nice change , having to go through all the bland and mindless grind MMOs

For everything a solution can be found,for situational gear a wardrobe for example.where you can retire a certain type of armor if it is worn off
    (pretty much like the progeny system) Then there can be tabs like a spellbook with each category where you can customize each of the situational gears,to create a unique look that fits your character
    I have confidence they will adapt the inventory accordingly for a smooth and pleasant experience.

• 409 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:36 AM PDT

deleted

This post was edited by Nimryl at August 23, 2017 8:05 AM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:36 AM PDT

I would like to point something out.   ANY time you create a character in a game, you are automatically roleplaying.  You are pretending you're a wizard, a troll,  a pver, a pvper...what you do with your character and your imagination is entirely up to you.   Of course I've heard tell there may be different ruleset servers dedicated to pvp, roleplay..hardcore,  what have you.    Roleplaying is part and parcel of playing in a virtural world.   Are you a raider?  You're a roleplayer, do you like crafting and harvesting? You're a roleplayer...basically.  :)   You don't have to run around and speak in a medieval language to be roleplaying.   (although I HAVE done that before. )  

role play
    ˈrōl ˌplā/
    verb
    verb: roleplay
    1. 1.
      act out or perform the part of a person or character, for example as a technique in training or psychotherapy.
      "study participants role-played as applicants for community college"

2. 2.
      participate in a role-playing game.
      "one to six players can role-play as any of over 100 characters"

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at March 24, 2017 11:41 AM PDT
    • 154 posts
    March 24, 2017 10:29 PM PDT

Interesting thread. I don't see it as being forced to roleplay as in being in an RP server. On those servers theres a requirement to speak with others in character. To act the part and be the part someone is portaying. Rpers take their RP very seriously. I don't think this is the intent here.

I think the Devs just want to have us more fully engaged with the world they create for our enjoyment. Towards that end the Devs probably want to make Pantheon feel like a real place to us. This way we may be able to forget about RL and it's concerns. The intent is, I feel, to experience an immersion someplace fantastical and fun! It's deffinately an approach I haven't encountered before. If anything it makes Pantheon even more exciting to me. I hope they can pull it off and don't have to scrap the idea. Give Pantheon a chance and see what the result is before judgement. We all just may love it!

Picture this.... the blazing rays of the sun, the blistering heat creating waves of hazy air. As we step forward we encounter a giant scorpian that leaped out at us from its hidden sandy lair. If we're a caster what do we do? Heat probably won't hurt it...it's attuned and we are not. I'd guess somekind of frost bolt would cause it a lot of pain....it's not acclimated to that lol. So a fireball won't hurt it since it's used to the extreme heat. At least I think this is the direction VR is going with this. Probably this is what is meant by the FAQ stating preparation in some situations is needed. 

• 3852 posts
    March 25, 2017 7:18 PM PDT

>I don't see it as being forced to roleplay as in being in an RP server. On those servers theres a requirement to speak with others in character. To act the part and be the part someone is portaying. Rpers take their RP very seriously. I don't think this is the intent here.<

As far as I know, no roleplaying server in any MMO has ever required people to roleplay.

Today roleplaying servers are more honestly called "roleplaying encouraged" servers but any special rules are rare and enforcement rarer yet.

Back in the day when it was taken more seriously - I hope it will be here if Pantheon has a RP server - there were rules as to what names could be used and many of us loved them just to avoid seeing "mybuttitches" and the like. There were rules against griefing roleplaying. But I can't remember any ruleset providing that someone could be punished for not roleplaying if their name was acceptable and they acted politely. If my memory is off or I simply missed the server with that ruleset someone correct me. But IMO its an awful ruleset "mundanes" should be welcome on RP servers just to see what it is like and decide whether to do it.