Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

CRAFTING + FAST TRAVEL =...

• 578 posts
    October 22, 2015 12:06 PM PDT

Happytrees said:

NoobieDoo said:

Most of the community here seems to be opposed to fast travel and just want to take their mount and explore but they are kidding themselves if they think instant fast travel will never enter this game.

That's what the devs want as well, not just the players. The whole entire point of Pantheon is to explore the world and to engage with people while doing it. You pretty much have to have long journeys if you want people to band together. If we can all just zap around willy nilly the entire need to communicate/group up for directions/protection during a journey goes out the door. I'm pretty sure that neither of McQuaid's games had instant fast travel while he was around, and that those were decisions made after he was already gone. I'm confident that while he has anything to say about it, we won't see any trivial instant fast travel. Unless ofcourse you're meaning caster portals, which aren't really "instant" as they will probably have a fairly long cast time and cost a good deal of mana, as well as most likely not having THAT many places you can actually cast a port to.

Brad is actually the one leaning on fast travel for Pantheon IF it is neccessary. Joppa has exclaimed he disagrees with Brad on this and opposes fast travel.

• 578 posts
    October 22, 2015 12:08 PM PDT

Shea said:

NoobieDoo said:

Sevens said:

Angrykiz said:

perhaps sci fi was not accurate but trains are more of a western frontier or even steampunk but not good ole fantasy with dragons or rangers hiding out in trees :) wizards appearing out of thin air . True that gnomes and dwarves tend to surround themselves with some form of metal or technology . In fact I had that necklace from APW that turned me into this large arse robot thing . I thought it was hilarious the first click :) . I simply believe IMHO that technology should be old and not modern ( although we had railways hundred years ago does not make it ancient or old it's modern ) . having the ability for gnomes or dwarves to mine for crystals or iron for swords and craftsmanship sound realistic .  But trains ? Not so much ...As for the  issue of fast travel at some point ( even Everquest did it , many have forgotten that those books use to not be around ) .  Your also correct that APW was filled with robot things .. I found it a little much for my personal taste  ( but it did not stop me from playing ) .  Just my opinion lol 

I understand completely. But ultimately I think we want the same thing, NO instant fast travel. I just honestly feel that it is inevitable if no other alternative is implemented.

• 610 posts
    October 22, 2015 12:25 PM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

Sevens said:

Angrykiz said:

As far as fast travel is concerned... there's only a couple types that I'm ok with.

1) Wiz / Druid ports to predetermined locations.

2) Boats between continents.

3) Dying, leaving a corpse, and appearing naked at your bind spot.

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

Yeah, have to agree with this

Sorry dont care to have just another lobby room mmo, too many already out there...

and by the Pantheon just because Terminus is a mash up of different planes please dont make it some silly mashup of fantasy and sci-fi or futuristic milieus.

lasers, guns, trains, cars and things of that sort just no no no no no no

Edit: Character cast speed buffs (sow) and character cast summon spells (CoH) are also 100% fine!

I don't want science fiction either. Trains are not science fiction lol. I don't know why this keeps coming up. Trains have been around for ages and yes trains today are ran with advanced technology but back in the day they were very crude. And it doesn't break immersion. Gnomes and dwarves have ALWAYS revolved around technology, and have always had gadgets and gizmos and artifacts that utilized technology. One of VG's bosses was a friggin computer.

Never once said trains were sci fi.

• 610 posts
    October 22, 2015 12:31 PM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

Happytrees said:

NoobieDoo said:

Most of the community here seems to be opposed to fast travel and just want to take their mount and explore but they are kidding themselves if they think instant fast travel will never enter this game.

That's what the devs want as well, not just the players. The whole entire point of Pantheon is to explore the world and to engage with people while doing it. You pretty much have to have long journeys if you want people to band together. If we can all just zap around willy nilly the entire need to communicate/group up for directions/protection during a journey goes out the door. I'm pretty sure that neither of McQuaid's games had instant fast travel while he was around, and that those were decisions made after he was already gone. I'm confident that while he has anything to say about it, we won't see any trivial instant fast travel. Unless ofcourse you're meaning caster portals, which aren't really "instant" as they will probably have a fairly long cast time and cost a good deal of mana, as well as most likely not having THAT many places you can actually cast a port to.

Brad is actually the one leaning on fast travel for Pantheon IF it is neccessary. Joppa has exclaimed he disagrees with Brad on this and opposes fast travel.

And if you were around for the thread about for the starting port you will also know that it was a major disaster....Brad did want ports at the 3 (at that time) starting cities and the forums rose up and yelled him down about it...Hell Kilsin even got so upset that he left the boards for a loooong time. Fast travel is not wanted in this game except for where it promotes community... Ports buffs and the like.

This subject has been brought up many many times before...and each time it pretty much ended up with the consensus being no fast travel..but I must say the lobby types never fail to keep bringing it up and pushing it.

• 9115 posts
    October 22, 2015 3:21 PM PDT

Sevens said:

NoobieDoo said:

Happytrees said:

NoobieDoo said:

And if you were around for the thread about for the starting port you will also know that it was a major disaster....Brad did want ports at the 3 (at that time) starting cities and the forums rose up and yelled him down about it...Hell Kilsin even got so upset that he left the boards for a loooong time. Fast travel is not wanted in this game except for where it promotes community... Ports buffs and the like.

This subject has been brought up many many times before...and each time it pretty much ended up with the consensus being no fast travel..but I must say the lobby types never fail to keep bringing it up and pushing it.

In my defence, it was a multitude of things on top of a personal family loss that pushed me to take a break, but yes, I was completely against fast travel ;)

• 610 posts
    October 22, 2015 5:31 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Sevens said:

NoobieDoo said:

Happytrees said:

NoobieDoo said:

In my defence, it was a multitude of things on top of a personal family loss that pushed me to take a break, but yes, I was completely against fast travel ;)

Sorry Kilsin..didnt mean to imply anything bad or wrong with what happened...at that point in time and under the old regime of devs the community felt by and large we were not being listened to even though that was one of the main reasons people were donating and discussing topics. I completely understand and actually agreed with the reasons you stated as to why you left.

• 9115 posts
    October 22, 2015 8:37 PM PDT

Sevens said:

Kilsin said:

Sevens said:

NoobieDoo said:

Happytrees said:

NoobieDoo said:

Sorry Kilsin..didnt mean to imply anything bad or wrong with what happened...at that point in time and under the old regime of devs the community felt by and large we were not being listened to even though that was one of the main reasons people were donating and discussing topics. I completely understand and actually agreed with the reasons you stated as to why you left.

It's all good mate, I just wanted to add that it wasn't just because of fast travel ;)

• 116 posts
    October 23, 2015 7:57 AM PDT

On the aspect of technology, this is straight from the gnome lore page:

Meticulous and easily absorbed in the many tasks aboard their floating city ship Skyhold, diligence and service tend to be the highest Gnome virtues, along with sound innovation

Machines will be part of the game. How much remains to be seen.

• 79 posts
    October 23, 2015 10:14 AM PDT

I was mainly drawing from http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/16/brad-mcquaid-explains-more-of-his-design-goals-for-pantheon-ris/ in my reply. It seems like he is saying you'll be able to go back to certain areas like towns and whatnot after you have discovered them.

• 9115 posts
    October 23, 2015 4:38 PM PDT

Happytrees said:

I was mainly drawing from http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/16/brad-mcquaid-explains-more-of-his-design-goals-for-pantheon-ris/ in my reply. It seems like he is saying you'll be able to go back to certain areas like towns and whatnot after you have discovered them.

A lot has changed since those days, and I mean a lot! It would be more accurate to reference from this website or more current interviews/announcements as many of those older visions have been  put to rest or changed :)

• 134 posts
    January 15, 2017 6:37 PM PST

The mention of trains has me intrigued. I would be ENTIRELY in love with a train that had a set schedule that ran between a large portion of ONE continent. I could see people using that train as a meeting place to haggle and sell goods while the train travels across the world.

That would be SUPER cool.

• 169 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:54 AM PST

I like the idea, but I'd rather not see it.  It already sounds like travel will be easier than Everquest.  They are going to have some type of caravans that you can join and travel in even when you are logged out.  The only reason I don't want travel to be easy is because I feel it is such an important aspect of the adventure.  Having to walk at slow speeds can lead ot a lot of issues like getting lost, running into mobs you can't get away from, and in general making the world feel large and dangerous.  I also don't like that certain classes have their unique abilities made less useful.  I feel if you want to travel more easily then you should pick a class that is good at traveling.

• 169 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:24 PM PST
    I would like for it to be like eqoa was with travel. First off you had to run to that destination and log a coach first....you could only go from one certain coach to another thus making the fast travel deliberate and slow but still faster than running all the way back to said city.
    No mounts...no ports other than from wizards or druids...
    • 232 posts
    January 18, 2017 8:43 AM PST

Trains... I'm picturing myself on platform 9 3/4, jumping on the Hogwarts Express.  Haha, actually... this might work.

• 1778 posts
    January 18, 2017 9:35 AM PST
    Does crafting a time machine count? ^.^
    • 200 posts
    January 18, 2017 10:27 AM PST

Angrykiz said:

No trains in my fantasy please...

Kiz~

Better not group with Kilsin!

"Build me a train worthy of Mordor...er Kilsin"!!