Forums » The Dark Myr

Dark Myr

• 1699 posts
    December 29, 2016 2:19 PM PST

You cannot have a mermaid without making them attractive. My wife is excited for this. But, you can let the male ones be as ugly as you want.

• 522 posts
    December 30, 2016 4:23 PM PST

Beefcake said:

You cannot have a mermaid without making them attractive. My wife is excited for this. But, you can let the male ones be as ugly as you want.

They could still be attractive with filed teeth unless your wife is really into a perfect set of whites. I probably wouldn't support their faces turning all ugly when they go into battle mode like the last Pirates of the Caribbean did (i think), though. 

• 3761 posts
    January 1, 2017 6:22 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

Beefcake said:

They could still be attractive with filed teeth unless your wife is really into a perfect set of whites. I probably wouldn't support their faces turning all ugly when they go into battle mode like the last Pirates of the Caribbean did (i think), though. 

I think it makes a lot of sense for the Dark Myr to have a, well, dark side. They're probably going to be an evil race - they shouldn't be perfect models. They should be a little more nefarious. If VR really wants to go the siren route, they can basically have an illusion to make them appear to be very beautiful at first glance, but after they lure someone in and go for the kill, we can see their true, ferocious faces. Razor-sharp teeth definitely included. I guess that kinda fits your description of the PotC merfolk. I think it's pretty interesting.

• 1699 posts
    January 1, 2017 12:36 PM PST

Hot chicks can definitely be evil. Have your never watched The CW channel?

• 3067 posts
    February 12, 2017 12:33 PM PST

if you go to the front page of this site..it shows a Dark Myr female,  if you use your mouse and push it across the legs...it transforms from tail to legs and back again.  So no they haven't lost their tail.  :)

• 242 posts
    February 13, 2017 5:27 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

if you go to the front page of this site..it shows a Dark Myr female,  if you use your mouse and push it across the legs...it transforms from tail to legs and back again.  So no they haven't lost their tail.  :)

I seem to recall from somewhere reading that they have lost the tail for sure but that image was to show what they looked like prior (and led to speculation regarding a quest to regain the tail)

• 3067 posts
    April 4, 2017 11:44 AM PDT

Dalinsia said:

I'm looking at the Dark Myr race to play as well. kedge Keep in EQ 1 was my favorite place because of the underwater zone with sirens, sea horses along with the sharks and sword fish.

Yes the lore makes it sounds like they have lost their mermaid tail. We were discussing on the Voices of Terminus Show what would be a real cool epic quest line was to get your Dark Myr tail back and would be one of the fastest swimmers in Terminus.

I think they will rock to play and just have a cool lore back story to them.

Don't think they have...part of the lore:    

- From the Testimony of Amorthus Osir

With her people still in harm’s keep, Syronai rushed to help the Myr, concentrating her power to transform and adapt the bodies she had created long ago. Yet mysteriously her aid was kept at bay. Sickened with grief as she watched her people perishing, the brave goddess gambled on another, more perilous chance: leveraging the essence of her immortality to recreate the Myr anew, even giving them a lung by which to breathe on land and legs with which to walk. In a brilliant moment of sacrifice, the miraculous exchange saved the Myr, transforming them forever. But as the exhausted High Mortal collapsed on the shore of Terminus, the crisis she averted wrought a fate far worse.

- From the Testimony of Vethos Ravica

In the present Frail Age, the Dark Myr are seeking to claim the old glories of Issul. They have subdued their realm of the ocean and built a glorious city in honor of Syronai. Yet beneath the surface of splendor, there is an unsettling current that runs through the deep places, where the Dark Myr have descended like the ancient leviathans they were born to destroy.  - end quote

This tells me they are still ocean dwellers.   Therefore they would have both the capacity to live underwater, or to walk upon the world's lands.

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at April 4, 2017 11:49 AM PDT
    • 522 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:24 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

BeaverBiscuit said:

Beefcake said:

I think it makes a lot of sense for the Dark Myr to have a, well, dark side. They're probably going to be an evil race - they shouldn't be perfect models. They should be a little more nefarious. If VR really wants to go the siren route, they can basically have an illusion to make them appear to be very beautiful at first glance, but after they lure someone in and go for the kill, we can see their true, ferocious faces. Razor-sharp teeth definitely included. I guess that kinda fits your description of the PotC merfolk. I think it's pretty interesting.

It does make a lot of sense, yes, but you could say that they used to be good guys. Lacking a Godly curse (unlike the skar), the Dark Myr probably haven't had enough time to evolve any particularly evil physical features. Their current bodies were made by good gods with the best of intentions, after all. 

• 10 posts
    March 29, 2018 9:30 PM PDT

VERY first impression was "Oh, an alternative to Dark Elf...but, water-based. hah..."

• 101 posts
    March 29, 2018 9:54 PM PDT

Rawley said:

VERY first impression was "Oh, an alternative to Dark Elf...but, water-based. hah..."

Hahah yes.. I had the same impression.  I was a barbarian in EQ1, but as soon as I got DE illusion mask I was ALWAYS DE.  When guildamtes saw me as a barb, they thought I had a barb illusion on hahah.

In pantheon im starting as the closest thing to DE.. so probably Dark Myr

This post was edited by Defector at March 29, 2018 9:54 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    June 16, 2018 7:33 AM PDT

I dunno about the shifting tail bit. Might be a coding knightmare for rendering armor and such as they switch legs to tail or vice versa. It would be a cool thing, though. At this point this sounds like an iksar/DE mix.