Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Has anyone read, Ready Player One?

• 138 posts
    October 6, 2015 5:50 PM PDT

I'm about halfway through it, and as a kid that grew up in the 80's, liked nerdy games, and video games, plus all the amazing 80's movies, all I can say is its amazing. It even mentions Everquest at one point. For anyone that likes to read, I highly recommend it!

This post was edited by Katalyzt at October 7, 2015 9:12 PM PDT
    • 383 posts
    October 6, 2015 7:20 PM PDT

My wife and I have both read it and loved it. :)

• 366 posts
    October 6, 2015 7:47 PM PDT

Yes Katalyzt, I did read it too; i agree its a great book for a gamer. I grew up on almost all of those games, so I loved the references. Tempest was one of the ones I never played, but  I finally got to play Tempest at the Musuem of Modern Art  this summer.  So weird to start seeing things you did as a kid in a museum! 

Steven Speilberg is supposed to direct the film for it, due for a 2017 release :)

This post was edited by Zarriya at October 6, 2015 7:52 PM PDT
    • 138 posts
    October 6, 2015 7:53 PM PDT
    Zarriya said:

Yes Katalyzt, I did read it too; i agree its a great book for a gamer. I grew up on almost all of those games, so I loved the references. Tempest was one of the ones I never played, but  I finally got to play Tempest at the Musuem of Modern Art  this summer.  So weird to start seeing things you did as a kid in a museum! 

Steven Speilberg is supposed to direct the film for it, due for a 2017 release :)

I had no clue it was coming to film. I've been thinking the whole time that it could be a really cool movie if it were done right.

• 384 posts
    October 7, 2015 5:17 AM PDT
    Zarriya said:

So weird to start seeing things you did as a kid in a museum! 

Well that might be the most depressing thing I'll read all day. Lol! I played Tempest and I think all the games mentioned in the book.... Now you're telling me those are museum exhibits? Oh my. lol I also read the book. It was a fun read! Looking forward to the movie. :)
    • 366 posts
    October 7, 2015 6:05 AM PDT
    Malsirian said:
    Zarriya said:

So weird to start seeing things you did as a kid in a museum! 

Well that might be the most depressing thing I'll read all day. Lol! I played Tempest and I think all the games mentioned in the book.... Now you're telling me those are museum exhibits? Oh my. lol I also read the book. It was a fun read! Looking forward to the movie. :)

LOL  im sorry  Malsirian  they also had minecraft and other, newer games : http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/11/29/video-games-14-in-the-collection-for-starters/

Hope that makes you feel better !

• 384 posts
    October 7, 2015 7:33 AM PDT
    Zarriya said:

LOL  im sorry  Malsirian  they also had minecraft and other, newer games : http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/11/29/video-games-14-in-the-collection-for-starters/

Hope that makes you feel better !

It does! Thanks!!  LOL

• 51 posts
    October 7, 2015 11:59 PM PDT

Good book. It's like the Neuromancer of 80s geek nostalgia. Definitely worth a read if you were an 80s kid.