Forums » The Ranger

Endless Quiver

• 2575 posts
    February 21, 2017 10:13 AM PST

No endless quiver. There is nothing wrong with having to carry two or three stacks of arrows as you likely won't be utilizing all of your inventory space due to encumberance. I remember it being rather rare to have a full inventory in EQ because of it. And that isn't some unique disadvantage to ranger either, as I imagine most/all the casters will have reagents needed for some of their spells or other melee needing throwing knives etc for pulling. 

You also wouldn't need fire arrows, ice arrows, poison arrows, etc as those can be just fine as abilities applied to the regular arrows.

• 193 posts
    March 9, 2017 4:11 AM PST

Iksar: You also wouldn't need fire arrows, ice arrows, poison arrows, etc as those can be just fine as abilities applied to the regular arrows.

I think from a role-playing angle, I don’t particularly like the idea of firing different types of arrow on the fly (so to speak), just by selecting an ability. You said there is no need to make utility arrows. I would counter that it is a fundimental difference. It is the preference of creating munitions with the anticipation of what may come over clicking an ability button. If I make a mistake with what I prepare, it has implications for the next encounter. Changing the button I press because I see a fire based monster, doesn't. I prefer preperation over button pressing.  

Example: if you are entering a snowy area, then the likelihood is that flaming arrows are more useful and I would prepare those over freezing arrows. So, if I make 30 arrows (for example) 20 being fire based, 5 being armour piercing and 5 being general damage, the resultant ammunition is very different to having an ability that allows me to in effect have either 30 fire based arrows or 30 armour piercing or 30 general damage or any combination I want, when I want. There is no preparation and no planning involved, just a reaction to the next mob. from my point of view, I think differing munitions types over ability buttons is a more role-playing way to go.

• 32 posts
    March 9, 2017 6:29 AM PST

IMO:

I am a fan of both the 'Foraging for materials = Ranger Only ammo' idea AND the 'craftable ammo for all applicable classes'.

Also, the ammo slot should contain 100 of the ammo for the equipped weapon (bolts for crossbows, arrows for bows, daggers for ... daggers?; etc.).  The applicable container (quiver, bad, pouch) should be an Inventory item replacing a bag / pack.

Being resonable, ammo is a HUGE part of a Ranger's inventory, and even so we should not get the bonus of carrying an extra-just-for-us-because-we're-the coolest-Class ghost-inventory slot to put a container in.  More internal capacity for larger containers make this viable and desirable also.

Say the standard 'Backpack' has 8-slot capacity, and have the standard 'quiver' (bag, pouch, etc.) have 10- or 12-slot capacity.  At 100 units per stack, that's ALOT of ammo.  Can YOU carry 1000 to 1200 cloth-yard (or even sheaf (hunting)) shafts and a knapsack weighing 40+ pounds (remember, we carry loot and coins, etc. too) for 12- to 18-hours each day, while walking, running, fighting, climbing, and swimming?  If so...  DAYUM!: but I couldn't.

Remember too, that Rangers are also formidable melee combatants.  If the mob(s) (because let's face it, body-pulling rangers rarely bring just ONE critter back for the kill, right?  :D ) close to within melee range, our bows may become unwieldy (except at higher levels?) and then there's knife-work to be done.

In closing, these are just some quick ideas and opinions.  Tossed out there for consideration.  :)

Game On!

*edited for fun*

This post was edited by RustedOne at March 9, 2017 6:31 AM PST
    • 2575 posts
    March 9, 2017 10:09 AM PST

chenzeme said:

Iksar: You also wouldn't need fire arrows, ice arrows, poison arrows, etc as those can be just fine as abilities applied to the regular arrows.

I think from a role-playing angle, I don’t particularly like the idea of firing different types of arrow on the fly (so to speak), just by selecting an ability. You said there is no need to make utility arrows. I would counter that it is a fundimental difference. It is the preference of creating munitions with the anticipation of what may come over clicking an ability button. If I make a mistake with what I prepare, it has implications for the next encounter. Changing the button I press because I see a fire based monster, doesn't. I prefer preperation over button pressing.  

Example: if you are entering a snowy area, then the likelihood is that flaming arrows are more useful and I would prepare those over freezing arrows. So, if I make 30 arrows (for example) 20 being fire based, 5 being armour piercing and 5 being general damage, the resultant ammunition is very different to having an ability that allows me to in effect have either 30 fire based arrows or 30 armour piercing or 30 general damage or any combination I want, when I want. There is no preparation and no planning involved, just a reaction to the next mob. from my point of view, I think differing munitions types over ability buttons is a more role-playing way to go.

Yes but the thought is that system is exceptionally punishing for the class. No other class has to do anything even close to that, just mem different spells/skills to a bar. So not only would ranger have to craft/buy his own ammo for a (presumably) important class feature/set of abilities, but he would have to constantly be dropping money and mats making different KINDS of ammo. Unless said mats are easy to come by/cheap and when crafted come out in bundles of 50 or more. I for one hope the bow is a primary weapon for rangers in this game as opposed to the almost useless bows for anything but pulling in EQ. If it is, then using 10-20 arrows per encounter would add up VERY quickly. 

• 6 posts
    March 12, 2017 1:29 AM PST

I certainly made great use of EQAA when it came out and for many years after. It changed the world for the ranger of Norrath, to be sure. That said, imho, it was merely a patch to an integral problem of the game. 

EQ was coded to have small stacks, and they had a lot of trouble raising those numbers for ages. EQAA, while useful, was merely the easiest way they had to fix a problem.

I would much rather have an alternative to this built into the game, rather than depend on earning something sometime in the future. As the devs have mentioned many times, the adventure of this game is the fun. The leveling-up IS the game, and they do not want there to be the "END GAME" as in other games. Instead, they want you to enjoy the whole process, from level 1 to max, rather than try and tear through all those levels just to "START" having fun...

I played EQ for many years before EQAA, or any AAs were released. Once EQAA came out, rangers were cornered into the "archer" profession, and while I enjoy that as a tool in my arsenal, I love to get in and dirty with melee weapons more often than not. For me, I prefer having a few archer abilities such as a snipe or a few CC abilities like stun etc, and then running in once the tank has aggro and showing the mob some lubbin...

In answer to the ammo problem, I think there are some ways to avoid this being either too easy, aka EQAA, or too cumbersome or bothersome:

1) Of course increase the number in a stack, up to 100 at the minimum, and also depending on how much archery we are intended to do...

2) Rangers should be able to Craft arrows, of various types much as in EQ1. I think it only natural that we get to create different arrows with different damage styles in answer to the different types of mobs to be found. In the FAQ, it mentions that different mobs are more resistant to different damage types. Skeletons are more resistant to slashing for example. Crystalline mobs are more subject to piercing damage. Give us a choice of several types of arrow, from blunt bodkins to flatheads to needlepoints, depending on the mob. I am not so sure we need to have all the choices of range, as we did in creating arrows in EQ1, except for leveling up that skill. 

3) Rangers should definitely be able to forage different items in order to make their own arrows. I can understand maybe buying some special smithed arrowheads to include in a certain type of arrow, but I think most self-respecting rangers/archers would insist on making their own arrows in the first place.

4) After every fight, rangers should be able to use an ability that tries to recover arrows spent during the last round of combat. This should start as a low percentage skill that works up as one levels. For example, imagine spending 30 arrows over the last fight. Either give the ranger the choice of hitting a "Forage" ability that is an AE skill and attempts to recover arrows, say max 25% to start, and up to whatever, or give the ranger the option of looting each individual corpse, regardless of loot, in order to get an "arrow recovery" role that starts low and increases with level. This would be a separate loot check that could either result in whole arrows or arrow parts to be repaired later. If whole arrows, this would gradually extend the time needed between downtime arrow creation for the ranger. From what I have seen in the FAQ again, there will be enough forced downtime as it is. I would hate to have an aribitrary ranger arrow break that might incite a group to pick another class from the outset...

5) I remember back in the day how amazing it was to get the Tolan's armor set. Each piece was a clicky that summoned or had an effect. There was only Armor class and the clicky on each piece, so it was not an uber set to be worn all the time, but rather something to keep in ones bags in order to clicky when needed. Some of you will recall that the Tolan's Bracer was a clicky that summoned a stack of arrows. It was an imitation of the low level mage spell

Summon Arrows MAG/20

1: Summon Item: Summoned: Arrow

, with a longer cast time...

Screenshot

There were later upgrades to this item, with faster cast times, but for old school rangers, this will bring a smile I am sure...

• 193 posts
    April 1, 2017 7:10 AM PDT

Ryven said:

Screenshot

There were later upgrades to this item, with faster cast times, but for old school rangers, this will bring a smile I am sure...

I am definately smiling. Ahhh... the memories!

• 101 posts
    April 1, 2017 3:45 PM PDT

The most use I got out of my Tolan's Bracer was the night of the archery rapid-fire bug.  I think I soloed 2 levels in Burning Woods that night in a few hours thanks to being able to summon arrows.  That 24 hourish bug was the best bug in EQ hands down.  The patch fix message the next day was pretty funny also.

• 6 posts
    April 3, 2017 11:27 AM PDT

was that Burning Woods? or the mythical Burned Woods? I always forget where it was, it seemed to move around a lot lol

• 101 posts
    April 6, 2017 9:25 PM PDT

Was the real Burning Woods.  I was trying to get to the Burnt Woods but OOC said it was off of Butcherblock Mountains that week.  When I got off the boat in BBM, they said that an emergency patch put the Burnt Woods zone in by the dragon portal in Wakening Lands.  I got a wizzy to port me there and once I fully zoned in, I saw "Loading, Please wait...".  Seems like Woushi had spawned shortly before I arrived.  After logging back into the game because someone said I could self-rezz using the "/experience" command, I looted my corpse. The command must have been bugged because I didn't regain any experience.  I cast "Harmony" on myself so that I could med up my mana faster.  While medding, I decided that the FBSS rare drop or the guaranteed drop Fungi Tunic from the common mobs the Burnt Woods was just too much of a pain to aquire. I just gave up looking for phat l00tz in the Burnt Woods and decided to XP in the normal Burned Woods.  Found out much later that since I didn't have a Skyshrine key, I could never have zoned into the Burnt Woods anyway.  Not for lack of trying though.  I spent 3 full weeks camping Crushbone trying to get that dang key to drop from D'Vinn.  Stingy bastige never dropped the Skyshrine key. So sad.

• 6 posts
    April 17, 2017 12:07 PM PDT

Thanks Rad, that brought tears to my eyes. Ahh the memories... 

and for the next bit.. anyone remember Sk8ter Gnome?

http://everquest.wikia.com/wiki/Skater_Gnome_Stories

• 4416 posts
    April 17, 2017 2:18 PM PDT

Ryven said:

Thanks Rad, that brought tears to my eyes. Ahh the memories... 

and for the next bit.. anyone remember Sk8ter Gnome?

http://everquest.wikia.com/wiki/Skater_Gnome_Stories

Thank you for this lol