Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Raid Loot

• 125 posts
    August 9, 2017 3:54 PM PDT

Again, I know I will be in the minority when I say this but as always... I feel it needs to be said...

Pantheon will focus largely on groups and they have stated that group content, as well as crafting, will reap great rewards and this is great as the vast majority of players will want this.

Limited raid content with limited rewards will however affect the upper tier raiding guilds and players who play the game for that level of raiding experience. Many of these players play MMOs for this content and without that level of exclusive rewards, which may open doors to even greater encounters, they may well leave the game even earlier than they usually do.

Again... VR has made it clear that they are not here to please everyone and are after a niche market which I admire and support. It will be interesting to see however if there will be some form of reward given for raiders which will move them to a next tier of content which will not be available to those with crafted gear or gear recieved while on group outings no matter how difficult those encounters may be for a 6 person group.

• 220 posts
    August 9, 2017 4:24 PM PDT

As far as I am conserned the Corpse of a Raid Boss, is the loot.  Let's just chop him up and let the crafters surprise us later over beers and charred meat.

This post was edited by ZennExile at August 9, 2017 4:25 PM PDT
    • 1399 posts
    August 9, 2017 4:48 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

As far as I am conserned the Corpse of a Raid Boss, is the loot.  Let's just chop him up and let the crafters surprise us later over beers and charred meat.

I'm with ya on this.

A dragon should drop some scales, claws, teeth, an eye or two, and that's about it. If a Dragon had a breastplate it would be too big for any player anyway.

It could be taken even further as the recipe calling for a FRESH dragon eye... and the combine needed to be done right then in the dungon.... raiders have been getting off too easy as of late.

• 399 posts
    August 9, 2017 5:24 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

.... raiders have been getting off too easy as of late.

oooh... thems are fightin' words!  Prepare to battle and die, ye heathen!

Wait... I'm a crafter.  Ok... movin' on :)

• 2130 posts
    August 9, 2017 5:57 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

ZennExile said:

I'm with ya on this.

A dragon should drop some scales, claws, teeth, an eye or two, and that's about it. If a Dragon had a breastplate it would be too big for any player anyway.

It could be taken even further as the recipe calling for a FRESH dragon eye... and the combine needed to be done right then in the dungon.... raiders have been getting off too easy as of late.

As of late? You mean like 20 years?

• 1399 posts
    August 9, 2017 6:04 PM PDT

Durp said:

Zorkon said:

.... raiders have been getting off too easy as of late.

oooh... thems are fightin' words!  Prepare to battle and die, ye heathen!

Wait... I'm a crafter.  Ok... movin' on :)

Yea, I've always had this problem knowing what's good for me and how to stay out of trouble. Not one of my strong points.

As a crafter you would probably like my other thoughts on this then. Not only does this breastplate of raid uberness need to be crafted with a FRESH dragons eye by a MASTER  jewel crafter (to infuse the eye into the breastplate to give it the night vision) but there would also need to be a MASTER blacksmith  (of course, it's a breastplate) and a MASTER leatherworker (to line this breastplate for the cold resist) on the raid to do a joint combine. 

Just seems to promote horizontal progression a bit more.

• 323 posts
    August 9, 2017 6:24 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

As a crafter you would probably like my other thoughts on this then. Not only does this breastplate of raid uberness need to be crafted with a FRESH dragons eye by a MASTER  jewel crafter (to infuse the eye into the breastplate to give it the night vision) but there would also need to be a MASTER blacksmith  (of course, it's a breastplate) and a MASTER leatherworker (to line this breastplate for the cold resist) on the raid to do a joint combine. 

Just seems to promote horizontal progression a bit more.

At the end of the day, won't the breastplate just end up in the hands of the player with the most DKP anyway? 

• 220 posts
    August 9, 2017 6:28 PM PDT

If I wanted to get really real with you though, since I am a hardcore achievement seeking game junky with what is clearly an addiction and/or mental illness, I would prefer there to be no loot.

Yeah, None.

Like the Sleeper.  I would like to see Hardcore Raiding become a Server First, and Only, mechanic.  I feel like that could be done so well that everyone would love it.  What I mean by this, is I would like to see the top competitive guilds compete for these Raid bosses as Unique Trophies, and only one guild (or several depending on reward mechanics and level design) get the kill and that's it.  No more Flemlord the Evergoopy.

BUT, then I would like to see the zone or area where this raid was, transition to a group-friendly version that reflects a new void in power.

And this transition period over time would result in a new Raid Boss taking over, and all the noobs being kicked out and needing to be saved again by the combined effort of large competitive guilds, that want to mount that new Lord's head on a pike.

Overall I would like to see this serve a number of purposes, but the two most important would be to bring new players in close and meaningful proximity to top level competitive players, yet at the same time segregate them competitively in a seamless way by cycling dynamic events between areas with a mutually beneficial outcome. And  I would do this simply by incorporating multiple enemy factions into each dungeon and using the group-friendly meta data to determine organically which faction has the most power.  The winner ascends to the Raid Boss level and repopulates the raid area.  This cycle would just repeat forever.  Each time a new faction wins, a new Raid Boss pops up to fill the power void.

I am a vehement believer that the key to new player retention is connection and proximity to competitive level achievement in the game.  So everything I fantasize about having in these games is super bias.

This post was edited by ZennExile at August 9, 2017 6:31 PM PDT
    • 1399 posts
    August 9, 2017 7:16 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

.BUT, then I would like to see the zone or area where this raid was, transition to a group-friendly version that reflects a new void in power.

So, if I understand you correctly, and to word it simple and reduce it down....

Move the Raid Boss from the end of the dungon to the entrance (or even roaming). The "LOOT" then for killing said boss would be title for the raid members and access to the zone for the whole server. (Until a new raid boss popped)?

• 220 posts
    August 9, 2017 7:29 PM PDT

The is a perfectly reasonable example indeed.  You lose a bit of the nuance if you focus too intently on the specifics of a single context.

This idea is to create a loop that draws players together without forcing newPlayer.JustStarted to compete directly with oldPlayer.BestInSlot for resources.  The specific details could really fall anywhere in that realm.