Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Appearance Gear and Weapons

This topic has been closed.
    • 441 posts
    February 17, 2017 12:00 PM PST

I would love to see a cosmetic tab, where you can equip any item even if its not for your class. I would also love to see crafters make items for these slots, from dresses to common shop clothing. I love seeing people RP cooking in a cook’s outfit. I do think once you enter combat or flagged for PvP your equipment should show not your RP gear. 

In this I speak for my wife. I cant count how many dresses she had in WoW. Outfits she loved to dance around in and just enjoy talking to guildies and people walking by. Sometimes starting large groups of people dancing just because she dressed up and started having fun. For myself as a long-time RP, I love cosmetic gear but as a gamer I want people to see and know what gear I have earned and I want to see that on other avatars as well.

I also this more care needs to be given in having different art for the same set of gear. A set of armour should look different on a female char. Not saying in needs to be trashy but from many feet away, you should be able to tell its a woman. Just my two cents. 

PS. Also 100% NEED a hide helm option. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at February 17, 2017 12:09 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    February 20, 2017 4:28 PM PST

From the updated FAQ:

4.8 What kind of equipment visualization can we expect to see on characters?
    The game world will contain thousands if not tens of thousands of items. That said, there can never be a 1:1 ratio between what you are specifically wearing and how you appear to other players. What you’re wearing does show off what you’ve accomplished, how high level you are, and what adventures you have undertaken to inspire others. Cosmetic gear will also be available, with players selecting how they want to view your character by toggling between adventure and cosmetic.

• 690 posts
    February 20, 2017 5:53 PM PST

Hmm I see why people want us to have no appearance gear. But there's still good argument to let people wear stuff thats not standard. I mean why should every bard worth his snuff look the same as the next bard worth his snuff?

Sorry to reference Dark Souls again, but It had a system where your armor either wasn't terribly important, or most of it was levelable and therefore of more or less equal quality. So Characters could balance out their stats and resistances how they wished, with lots of different gear pieces to choose from, either picking various pieces from various sets, or having several different full sets they could choose to wear.

I think some pantheon exclusive creative method to allow characters to wear as many different sets as possible in late game would make a for a good compromise. Even if you couldn't color or reskin your armor, If you had lots of things to choose from (instead of 1-5 sets) it could definately suit the tastes of many appearance focused players and still allow you to look at a player and see more or less if he is worth his snuff. Personally, I think this could work if you tied it into the weather/resistance system we will already be finding. If players needed to balance their gear toward particular resistances in any situation, as well as needing their gear to fit their play style (heavy armor for the slower tankier characters) and had lots of different options for each gear slot to do so, you could have lots of original/sexy looking characters without too much worry of that character in underwear competing with the characters in full lambent. 

This could be benefited by making visible non-weapon gear less about individual class abilities (+1 to offensive bard songs) and more about general defensive abilities (+1 to lightning resistance/cold weather/defense). 

Another idea could simply be the ability to toggle re-skins and dyes on or off for yourself and EVERYONE YOU SEE. So the players who want to look at you and know what part of the game you are in, can, and those who want to see the awesome fashion, as well as the joke fashion, can simply toggle it on. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 20, 2017 5:57 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    February 20, 2017 6:14 PM PST

Did you read the FAQ post?

The toggle is what they are doing.

• 690 posts
    February 20, 2017 6:31 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Did you read the FAQ post?

The toggle is what they are doing.

hahaha I just read that and came back to fix my post.

Looks like you did it for me=)

• 441 posts
    February 20, 2017 7:38 PM PST

That's awesome news about the toggle. 

• 243 posts
    February 21, 2017 11:40 AM PST

Has any decision been made about whether or not appearance gear will be class appropriate?  Like will a Wizard be able to wear appearance gear that is plate armor, or will they be restricted to cloth only items?  Just wondering, I searched but didn't see this specifically, and figured it belonged here.

• 441 posts
    February 21, 2017 11:42 AM PST

Rominian said:

Has any decision been made about whether or not appearance gear will be class appropriate?  Like will a Wizard be able to wear appearance gear that is plate armor, or will they be restricted to cloth only items?  Just wondering, I searched but didn't see this specifically, and figured it belonged here.

Do you mean for cosmetic gear? Or to you mean full plate gear a Warrior would wear as cosmetic?

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at February 21, 2017 11:43 AM PST
    • 243 posts
    February 21, 2017 11:52 AM PST

Nanfoodle said:

Do you mean for cosmetic gear? Or to you mean full plate gear a Warrior would wear as cosmetic?

I mean as cosmetic gear, like will a Wizard (or some other cloth wearer) be able to wear cosmetic gear that has plate armor graphics, so they essentially would look like a tank or Cleric to someone who had the cosmetic gear view selected on.  Or, will cosmetic gear be class restricted like normal gear?

• 1778 posts
    February 21, 2017 12:31 PM PST
    I gonna guess and say similar armor type to what that class could wear normally. So no vanity plate for wizards. Could be wrong. But while they want to add vanity gear I dont think they want to completely destroy all immersion.
    • 2886 posts
    February 21, 2017 12:35 PM PST

Amsai said: I gonna guess and say similar armor type to what that class could wear normally. So no vanity plate for wizards. Could be wrong. But while they want to add vanity gear I dont think they want to completely destroy all immersion.

I think you're right. And that's my preference. Just more aesthetic versions of what you are already capable of wearing.

• 279 posts
    February 22, 2017 7:18 PM PST

Reposting this here.

1. If the class can't equip the item normally, they should not be able to equip it cosmetically. As in, no Wizards wearing leather/chain/plate.

2. Cosmetic slots should be locked to the same armor type currently equipped (cloth/leather/chain/plate). As in, if you are a Warrior wearing plate, you may only wear plate cosmetic items in those slots. If you want to wear cloth or leather cosmetic items as a Warrior you MUST equip real cloth/leather items in those slots. This will prevent a Warrior from appearing to wear a fancy cloth outfit into battle without suffering any penalties. Why should their cosmetic realism be any different from a Wizards?

If there was a server with these rules, that's the one I'd pick.

These are just my wishes. And no, I will not select to hide cosmetics and miss out on what everyone is wearing and all that content of the game. If it comes down to it I'll join them in wearing the ugliest lore-breaking and unrealistic outfits I can find.

• 2752 posts
    February 22, 2017 7:37 PM PST

If it's in the game and your class can equip it, you won't be lore breaking. Anything can be roleplayed.

• 626 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:49 PM PST

Pantz said:

Reposting this here.

1. If the class can't equip the item normally, they should not be able to equip it cosmetically. As in, no Wizards wearing leather/chain/plate.

2. Cosmetic slots should be locked to the same armor type currently equipped (cloth/leather/chain/plate). As in, if you are a Warrior wearing plate, you may only wear plate cosmetic items in those slots. If you want to wear cloth or leather cosmetic items as a Warrior you MUST equip real cloth/leather items in those slots. This will prevent a Warrior from appearing to wear a fancy cloth outfit into battle without suffering any penalties. Why should their cosmetic realism be any different from a Wizards?

If there was a server with these rules, that's the one I'd pick.

These are just my wishes. And no, I will not select to hide cosmetics and miss out on what everyone is wearing and all that content of the game. If it comes down to it I'll join them in wearing the ugliest lore-breaking and unrealistic outfits I can find.

Sweet can't wait to see what you come up with to wear! :) I'll have mine turned off for the most part, but I'm sure I'll turn it on every now and then to see what funny stuff people have haha. 

• 422 posts
    February 23, 2017 10:58 AM PST

I want to be able to control what I look like. Its a large issue I have had with many games. Gear is hodge podge so it ends up with my character looking like a clown. Yellow arms, blue legs, brown  boots, red helm, gold chest, pink panti.. er well.

I'd much rather have a set of cheap store bought chain that at least matches for a cosmetic look than look like a parade float.

I'm good with restrictions like Cosmetics matching your equipable item type. No plate using Wizards and such. If I could euip it and use it, then I should be able to equip it as cosmetic. Including weapons.

• 279 posts
    February 24, 2017 11:42 AM PST

Actually if Warriors are allowed to wear fine silk appearance gear at high levels when fightinig dragons, then why not allow Wizards to wear plate appearance gear? Make it fair for all so everyone can roleplay anything they want. Either make it realistic for all or make it unrealistic for all.

• 1618 posts
    February 24, 2017 12:52 PM PST

Pantz said:

Actually if Warriors are allowed to wear fine silk appearance gear at high levels when fightinig dragons, then why not allow Wizards to wear plate appearance gear? Make it fair for all so everyone can roleplay anything they want. Either make it realistic for all or make it unrealistic for all.

Cosmetic gear is just that. If you are playing dress up, you should be able to wear what you want. It has no effect on combat or other systems that we know of. So let the freak flags fly.

• 2 posts
    February 24, 2017 1:09 PM PST

What if the appearance slot only made it so yourself can see it? I know this game isnt aimed towards PvP but I will be on a PvP Server, I want to see my enemies gear that he is wearing and using so I can decide if hes is "weak" or "strong". I personally do not want to go and attack someone in a robe only to find out hes actually a fully plated warrior. 

• 77 posts
    February 24, 2017 8:55 PM PST

I'm excited to have my dwarf run around in a codpiece.

• 1618 posts
    February 25, 2017 6:51 AM PST

Revenant said:

What if the appearance slot only made it so yourself can see it? I know this game isnt aimed towards PvP but I will be on a PvP Server, I want to see my enemies gear that he is wearing and using so I can decide if hes is "weak" or "strong". I personally do not want to go and attack someone in a robe only to find out hes actually a fully plated warrior. 

4.8 What kind of equipment visualization can we expect to see on characters?
    The game world will contain thousands if not tens of thousands of items. That said, there can never be a 1:1 ratio between what you are specifically wearing and how you appear to other players. What you’re wearing does show off what you’ve accomplished, how high level you are, and what adventures you have undertaken to inspire others. Cosmetic gear will also be available, with players selecting how they want to view your character by toggling between adventure and cosmetic.

• 107 posts
    February 25, 2017 7:08 AM PST

Let appearance gear affect encumbrance. If you want to wear plate armor as a wiz with low strength, have at it.

• 1618 posts
    February 25, 2017 8:14 AM PST

Filzin said:

Let appearance gear affect encumbrance. If you want to wear plate armor as a wiz with low strength, have at it.

Maybe encumbrance is different in Pantheon than other games I have played. But, I believe encumbrance is usually based of what you carry, not what you wear. If you are wearing a bikini top and thong while carrying 5 suits of plate in your bag, you will still be just as encumbered as wearing one plate suit and carrying the thong/bikini and 4 suits of plate.

• 107 posts
    February 25, 2017 8:35 AM PST

Beefcake said:

Filzin said:

Maybe encumbrance is different in Pantheon than other games I have played. But, I believe encumbrance is usually based of what you carry, not what you wear. If you are wearing a bikini top and thong while carrying 5 suits of plate in your bag, you will still be just as encumbered as wearing one plate suit and carrying the thong/bikini and 4 suits of plate.

It's early and I haven't had all my coffee yet, but I think we are saying roughly the same thing. I don't care if you wear a canoe for a hat, appearance gear should add to your overall encumbrance weight. Whether you carry it in your pack or wear it, it should add to your burden.

• 1618 posts
    February 25, 2017 9:02 AM PST

Filzin said:

Beefcake said:

Filzin said:

It's early and I haven't had all my coffee yet, but I think we are saying roughly the same thing. I don't care if you wear a canoe for a hat, appearance gear should add to your overall encumbrance weight. Whether you carry it in your pack or wear it, it should add to your burden.

Agreed.

• 234 posts
    February 25, 2017 9:49 AM PST

IMO what you wear should be what is seen. If it don't have stats buts looks pretty, ok, but you still have to wear it to look that way.

I just don't see a point in investing dev resources into appearance slots.  Its extra code, extra data and additional UI elements and thus extra time we don't get to play.  In addition its immersion breaking and subverts the following tenant "A belief that meaningful character progression will always involve a player increasing in both power and prestige."

Prestige, in the sense of equipment, is not meaningful if visual identification is not reliable.

That said I don't mind dyes, as they do not distort the underlying appearance of the gear greatly.  It would still be recognizable.  

A compromise might be to have a load out system where you could macro in different sets of gear, though it should take some amount of time (think casting bar) to fully re-dress and may mean you could be interrupted. IE: Mob stuns you/prevents you from making the swap.  Even so this is extra code that really doesn't need to be in there just to satisfy convienence.

I would hate to prevent swapping of gear durring combat, I know in EQ that comes up occasionally, switching from say 2hs or duel wield to sword and board.   Or quickly finding a place to sit and swap out a spell you need or find that clicky item in your bags you take along for certain occasions.   But it worked well there because the time it took to open a bag, find the item and swap it out all while dealing with combat created a moment of risk which was only mitigated by the players skill AND it took no extra code to pull it off.

But now that I think about it, I do like the idea of an equiping item bar, just like EQ did with a memorizing spell bar.  It takes some minimal amount of time to do it, getting hit while doing this will interrupt the process and you could end up not wearing that slot or memorizing that spell you were attempting to equip.  Time it well or lose agro and you will be succesful.

My 2cp

-Az