Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

"That" item that made you play "that" class

• 453 posts
    September 10, 2015 2:37 AM PDT

Have you ever looted an item that was so awesome that it made you start an alt of a class you thought you would never play just so you could use that item?

When fungi tunics were fairly new in EQ and not many people had them I looted one. Because of this I started a monk just so I could use it and I had a great time on that monk all the way to max level.

• 1434 posts
    September 10, 2015 3:47 AM PDT

That was the coolest thing about classic EQ. There were actually a great number of really amazing weapons that were usable by a level 1. I started an erudite SK just for the lulz because I got an exquisite two-handed battleaxe from a dragon in Western Wastes. I started a newbie PK rogue because I got a nice high damage harpoon from a mob in Kael. I was never one for selling or trading, so I almost always created a twink or gave a friend an awesome item if I somehow got one in a random xp group. I created casters solely because I had a nice looking robe.

While it was great to get that awesome 2h staff from sebilis or a t-staff and create a monk alt, it was really the fact that you could actually use such powerful items on a twink or transfer them to a friend that made the game so amazing.

• 308 posts
    September 10, 2015 5:36 AM PDT

I once looted a Windblade on my cleric. made me feel the need to roll a tank alt. so i made my first SK. i have loved the SKs ever since and usually have one as an alt.

• 1778 posts
    September 10, 2015 8:22 AM PDT
    Got a Kracken Club in XI so yea...... had to level up my Dark Knight and have some gamebreaking fun for a couple of weeks lol.
    • 63 posts
    September 10, 2015 1:37 PM PDT

Wurmslayer for Warrior!

• 112 posts
    September 11, 2015 1:16 PM PDT

Fungi tunic started it.  Had such a blast with leveling as a twink monk with a fungi, jade mace, sarnak warhammer, adamantite bands, etc that passing them on to a warr alt to do the grind, then a rogue, and even a cleric alt for a bit.  Being able to solo well was great, but it being EQ it just made it all the better cruising along in a group.

Twink an alt with jboots and you'll find yourself doing it for every alt afterwards.

• 453 posts
    September 14, 2015 2:33 AM PDT

Now that I think of it, in EQ1 when the game was young I made a cleric just because I was given a manastone from a guy who was quitting the game. That thing was handy, loved it.  Getting a pre nerf CoS and elder holgresh beads made me wanna play a necro even more as well.