Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Are there classes you prefer to solo?

• 453 posts
    September 2, 2015 2:38 PM PDT

Most of us I can assume prefer to group most of the time. In the games you have played are there certain classes that you prefer to solo and certain classes you will only group with?

In EQ I had a lot more fun on my Necro soloing than in groups. On my EQ Druid I had the most fun duoing with just one other person, usually tank types. In VG I had more fun soloing on my Sorc than grouping. On all other classes in VG and EQ I spent most of the time in groups.

• 724 posts
    September 2, 2015 11:34 PM PDT

For me, the decision to solo doesn't depend on the class so much. Instead go solo when:

- I want to explore an area at my own pace (unfortunately doesn't work well in dungeons, or only when you far outlevel them)

- I'm trying to improve skills (for example increasing that 1HB skill I never trained so far)

What this means is, I will solo with any class (as long as it's possible at all). I don't solo because I prefer it, but only to achieve some personal goals.

• 120 posts
    September 3, 2015 4:59 AM PDT
    I actually prefer not to, but if I have to I'll use my wizzy.
    • 89 posts
    September 3, 2015 7:03 AM PDT

I really enjoyed soloing the VG Necromancer. Was very cool and the pet was pretty tough once you got the last one. It was fun sending pet against a bunch of Tehetamani minions and then just run past /cackling all the way and FD while your pet died then recast pet and go again. Pet could handle around 7 of them as long as my healer minions were still alive. I would just recast them if need be to get to a safe spot. Definately over powered but was a blast just the same. Could solo lots of other tougher stuff as well.

• 62 posts
    September 3, 2015 8:41 AM PDT

I'm very much like you, Jason. I loved my Necro and Druid - but despite those classes being able to solo to an extent, given a choice I would always rather have a group. :) Great question!

• 384 posts
    September 3, 2015 9:24 AM PDT
    There is so much in these posts I can relate to!
    Sarim said:

For me, the decision to solo doesn't depend on the class so much. Instead go solo when:

- I want to explore an area at my own pace (unfortunately doesn't work well in dungeons, or only when you far outlevel them)

- I'm trying to improve skills (for example increasing that 1HB skill I never trained so far)

What this means is, I will solo with any class (as long as it's possible at all). I don't solo because I prefer it, but only to achieve some personal goals.

This pretty much exactly me! And sometimes I prefer to do that over grouping. :)
    Zaketh said:

I really enjoyed soloing the VG Necromancer.

Necro was my favorite to solo in VG too. :) I remember there was a spell to pick up in a dungeon at 16 or so and trying to get that solo. I got close a couple times but eventuall had to get help from some folks. :)
    • 430 posts
    September 3, 2015 9:32 AM PDT
    I've solo'd every class I've ever played at one point or another . ( never played a warrior ..not a glutton for punishment .. ) . Prefer to group or raid . Where there's a will there's a way :)
    This post was edited by Shea at September 3, 2015 9:33 AM PDT
    • 81 posts
    September 4, 2015 5:48 AM PDT

I enjoyed quad kiting on my druid in EQ. I also like duoing with my enchanter/necro friends. Plus I had an uber pally friend we would go try random crazy stuff together on my various characters. In VG I liked seeing what I could solo on my psi with charm spells. I played a necro a little but nothing of real significance but it was easy to solo on him. Basically ranged pet classes I found to be the best to solo with.

One of my favorite groups towards the end of my EQ days was the tables camp in Plane of Fire. A group full of squishy casters surrounded by tons of mobs that could trash us quickly. Never a dull moment haha.