Forums » The Ranger

Will PRotF have Arrow Types?

• 12 posts
    August 26, 2015 11:54 AM PDT

I don't want to parallel the question about Ranger fletching or fletching in general (I'm just hoping we can and that Rangers can forage bits, just like in EQ and Vanguard..... okay, let's hope a bit more.... in raids, Endless Quiver was a True Blessing, so I'm hoping for some form of that, as well). 

I want to ask if Pantheon will have arrow types.  I loved being able to do more damage using a certain type of arrow against a certain type of mob (fire arrow on ice mob and vice versa, anyone?).  I really enjoyed the feeling of strategic use (it was an immersion aid in that it made me feel more like a "Ranger").  I miss it a lot.

• 749 posts
    August 26, 2015 12:18 PM PDT
    Wildenae said:

I don't want to parallel the question about Ranger fletching or fletching in general (I'm just hoping we can and that Rangers can forage bits, just like in EQ and Vanguard..... okay, let's hope a bit more.... in raids, Endless Quiver was a True Blessing, so I'm hoping for some form of that, as well). 

I want to ask if Pantheon will have arrow types.  I loved being able to do more damage using a certain type of arrow against a certain type of mob (fire arrow on ice mob and vice versa, anyone?).  I really enjoyed the feeling of strategic use (it was an immersion aid in that it made me feel more like a "Ranger").  I miss it a lot.

Yea I like this idea too.  I really liked having different arrow/bolt types in Vanguard which could be changed out for different situations.  You could chose an arrow with slightly more damage but less range or you could have an arrow with more range but less damage.

• 206 posts
    August 29, 2015 2:02 AM PDT

I would support this idea for Rangers.

• 419 posts
    August 30, 2015 10:25 PM PDT
    Yeah definitely like this too. I've played quite a few games over the years that allow the player to either craft or buy different arrow types and figure it's expected by most players.

It would be nice to be able to mix and match arrowheads (slashing dmg, crushing dmg, piercing dmg, etc.) with different types of elemental damage.
    • 30 posts
    October 15, 2015 4:48 PM PDT

I think having variety in ammo types is essential.  Although I would prefer one-time use arrows that a ranger must stock i realize that's not everyone's cup of tea.  If you make arrows a resource though...you can get away with way more versatility.  Things like status inflicting ammo, similar to FFXI's crossbow bolts (and a few of the arrows) are really only balanced/feasible when you have a finite amount of them AND they have to crafted/obtained through means other than a vendor.  One of my favorite things about playing a ranger in FFXI was that I made my own ammo, and I enjoyed the fact that I was producing what I intended to use. 

• 81 posts
    March 25, 2016 8:00 AM PDT

Wildenae said:

I posted something similar just now before seeing this, but I'm all for this.

I would much rather see a Ranger fletch and/or imbue his arrows to certain types. Sort of like a Bane Damage type.

I also would like them to add more/different aspects or stats to bows. For example, quietness. If anyone ever used a bow in RL, you know that being quiet is key. Perhaps something to the extent of allowing you to shoot and not break camo (maybe limit with a cool down).

If not on the bow, then maybe it can be added effect on arrows to simulate the same effect? Stealth arrows?

This post was edited by Lakland at March 25, 2016 8:01 AM PDT
    • 113 posts
    July 17, 2016 8:07 PM PDT

I'm all for having different arrow types, hoping the ranger gets an AA that tells you what bane the creature you're fighting is.. However.. My current delema on this emulator I've been playing for several years, I carry arround 12 quivers, all different banes, at any given time. then have 5-6 stacks of arrows out- heaven forbid I summon 5 stacks and then the group bails after 10 minutes and then I have to summon more arrows I don't have space for, all so I can solo or do other content. I almost never have inventory room to loot for groups.. And we currently have an AA return arrow, so you don't consume as many arrows..  So I'm just worried about having inventory space for SURE!!

This post was edited by Shayken at July 17, 2016 8:09 PM PDT
    • 29 posts
    July 23, 2016 7:41 AM PDT

In the last stream they talked about different weapon types vs. mobs, such as slahing/blunt having different levels of effectiveness against skeletons, and if they have that it seems reasonable to expect different arrow types with similar traits.

• 515 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:51 AM PDT

I am all for Rangers making their arrows.  But they are not wizards, clerics, or Enchanters.  These types of arrow buffs should be available but only from those types of casters.  Want a fire-type effect?  Find an Elementalists that specializes in Fire and have him cast upon them.  Want an arrow that just destroys zambies?  You want arrows BLESSED by a Cleric.  Want an aroow with an AE stun effect?  Look for an Enchanter....

• 515 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:54 AM PDT

Also, I would think that a ranger would be able to get himself (ok, ok HERself) a quiver that imbues the arrows within.  Let's say you complete an epic level quest for a quiver that gives you +X damage vs. undead, and so on.  Then simply placing normal arrows within the quiver - and using THAT specific quiver while fighting - results in the buffs/bonuses.

• 193 posts
    August 8, 2016 2:37 AM PDT

I dont agree (totally), Nephretiti (sorry). I think a skilled fletcher would be very able to make arrows with lots of effects (not all types but a lot). For instance, your fire arrow is very easy to create with cotton and a flamible oil. However, an enchanted fire arrow (from an Enchanter) would produce a different effect against differing mob types. I do agree that clerics should only be able to bless an arrow for instance (effective against etherial anti-diety targets for instance). But I think a fletcher should be able to do a lot with dirrering ammo types and strategies (as long as it is easy to switch between them).

As for carrying around lots of different types, yeah, this can become a hazard but better quality quivers with magical additives could create a lot of carrying capacity. Also, shouldnt this also be a trait of the ranger, being able to do real damage at range, but also get involved with melee too? So switching styles mid fight to conserve ammo. That would make for an interesting class, IMHO. One that has to conserve but isnt handicaped when in either role (range/melee).

Also a mobile fletching kit to make emergency arrows could be carried around.

I think a lot could be done with a little imagination. :)

• 101 posts
    December 9, 2016 10:29 PM PST

I completely support the idea of special arrows, but please make it possible to switch out arrows on the fly.  It would suck using all of your special arrows because you forgot to switch them out after an encounter.

• 10 posts
    January 11, 2017 9:29 PM PST

I find myself on the fence in terms of arrows. Part of me really likes the idea of making and or buying special arrows to use in various type encounters in order to add a bit of flavor. Another part of me remembers how much of a PITA having all those arrows clogging up your inventory space can be.  I by no means want a watered down mindlessly easy MMORPG clone to play but I do recognize that the vast majority of MMOs eventually done away with arrows and or switched to something like an Endless quiver eventually anyway and thats if the game didnt just start out that way to begin with.

As far as how I think they should handle the special arrow types, I think that depends on how they decide the ranger class should be comprised.  If they choose to go with a Nature magic element then I think it would make sense that rangers could summon & imbue their own arrows with variows types of effects that would still fit within the realm of "nature" magic such as: Fire, Frost, Poison, Lightning, Root/Snare Effects, ect...

Now if they make Rangers non magical woodsmen then obviously they wouldn't have the spells to summon or imbue their ammo so their choices would be much more limited but a few exceptions could still make sense such as giving them an ability to "forage" arrow components on the fly and quickly assemble them. They could also justify certain spell type effects by granting various "self buff" abilities that only effect the next single shot as if they were preparing a special arrow much like lighting it on fire before shooting it.  

There's also always the option that the bow used will imbue its arrows with specific effects. This option seems like it would fit with either route they choose to follow. Want fiery arrows? Get a flamingbust Longbow!  It also works well in situations where a specific creature can't be hit unless the weapon is magical ie: Ghouls & wisps.

Another thing to think about is what if archery is only one small part of what will make up the ranger. Will arrow types really even matter if rangers wont ever use their bows except for that super rare moment they can't get close enough to melee?  As I stated above I think its too early for me to really decide on how arrows should work until they release a little bit more on how the Pantheon Ranger will be. Here's to crossing my fingers in hopes that they will be the next class reveal!

• 1 posts
    May 5, 2017 8:43 PM PDT

I think Endless Quiver ruined fletching. There's no point in fletching if you don't need arrows, and you aren't going to get enough skillups from just making bows.