Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Questing

• 56 posts
    February 25, 2020 8:31 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Albytaps said: I’m almost 100% positive you will have to reach each and every area/NPC/perception yourself to trigger the quests and/or continue them.

I never really like games where every 'quest' required you to first go to some NPC who then just sends you back out to the spot you were just in but now, amazingly, the thing(s) you're looking for suddenly start dropping.  I prefer some portion of the quests we'll come across to be where we just happen upon some item, drop, whathaveyou and then need to go in search of an NPC that might want/need it.

I think back to the early days of EQ1, adventuring in Crushbone and you'd get Crushbone Belts to drop.  At first nobody knew what they were for so most sold them to the vendor.  It wasn't until Dwarven players came over from Kaladim told the Elves that some NPC in Kaladim wanted those belts and would reward handsomly for them.  Here we had the players be directly involved in spreading the existence of an NPC who wanted these belts.  The belts were always there, that NPC was always there.  You could get into the quest via either route.  That's a bit more interesting than always having to find an NPC to see if it actually wants you to get him/her something.

I much prefer this as well. In early Vanguard Alpha, before they switched to a WoW style quest system, there was what I think was called the "Rumor" System. An example: We'd found a non-equippable sword with some cryptic flavor text at a bugbear fort south of a town in Thestra. My friend remembered talking to someone in town that had mentioned a rumor about a sword, clearly related though there was no associated quest to actually accept. While I can't recall what came of that example specifically (it may not have even been complete at the time), I do remember being excited by that method and eventually encountering that NPC on another character later on.

I guess it's somewhat loosely similar to a fledgling perception system in some ways. 

I found it way more exciting than a quest hub scenario. Exploring the world freely and discovering something that you need to look further in to is so much more satisfying for me. Sort of fits with my preference for the world itself coming first and being enjoyable on it's own with occasional deeper discoveries rather than worlds that are designed primarily to facilitate quest hubs.

This post was edited by Kyridel at February 25, 2020 8:33 AM PST
    • 520 posts
    February 26, 2020 7:58 AM PST

disposalist said:

For those collection quests it might make sense that the items don't even appear unless you start the quest.

Let's face it, you aren't going to scalp the orc you killed for no good reason - not unless you have been sent to get them - it's weird (unimmersive).

Well, you might scalp it for no good reason, but you would have to vivsect and preserve every part of every corpse you ever 'make' to be sure of getting all the possible quest items, so again, just having a scalp 'drop' for no reason is silly.

Exactly - I hope we won't end up collecting randomly quest items if we don't even have a quest active yet.