Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Questing

• 91 posts
    July 24, 2015 5:58 AM PDT

I could not find a forum section dedicated to questing so I thought I would post it here.

I am curious as it comes to questing will quest be a little more defined then the early days of EQ.  I would find a boot in one zone and a odd bone in 5 zones away and somehow they were meant o be together for a quest.  However, I am not interested in questing where everything is lit up like Christmas.

• 384 posts
    July 24, 2015 7:44 AM PDT
    This from the man himself:
    Aradune said:

Great discussion.  All we have stated publicly is this:  Pantheon will be more like EQ, with fewer quests but more epic ones, leading to great rewards.  It will not be like Vanguard and other games, e.g. Quest Hub driven, where you go to one hub, do a bunch of quests, and then move to the next.  We want more of an open world and sandbox feeling.

• 91 posts
    July 24, 2015 8:41 AM PDT

Thanks much for the info!

xan

• 81 posts
    August 14, 2015 9:42 AM PDT
    Malsirian said:
    This from the man himself:
    Aradune said:

Great discussion.  All we have stated publicly is this:  Pantheon will be more like EQ, with fewer quests but more epic ones, leading to great rewards.  It will not be like Vanguard and other games, e.g. Quest Hub driven, where you go to one hub, do a bunch of quests, and then move to the next.  We want more of an open world and sandbox feeling.

Thankfully!

• 8 posts
    February 19, 2020 12:52 AM PST

quest and interacting with items whiel in group. will that be shared quest and info or will every one have to click on the stuff

• 5 posts
    February 19, 2020 5:52 AM PST
    I’m almost 100% positive you will have to reach each and every area/NPC/perception yourself to trigger the quests and/or continue them.
    • 8 posts
    February 19, 2020 6:13 AM PST

So with that said will that slow a group down if we have different perseptions?

This post was edited by spec4army at February 19, 2020 6:27 AM PST
    • 793 posts
    February 19, 2020 6:53 AM PST

Xanier said:

I could not find a forum section dedicated to questing so I thought I would post it here.

I am curious as it comes to questing will quest be a little more defined then the early days of EQ.  I would find a boot in one zone and a odd bone in 5 zones away and somehow they were meant o be together for a quest.  However, I am not interested in questing where everything is lit up like Christmas.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your concern.

But IMO, those parts in separate zones, is what made it a quest.

You want that sword of uber killing? well great. The sword was broken into pieces after the war, and last anyone knew the hilt was in the mountains of doom, the blade was in the valley of the dead and the guard was last seen in the lake of imminent death.

By definitition a quest is a long or arduous search for something. I kind of liked acquiring parts over time.

In most modern MMOs, what they call quests, "Go find me a rats tail", is more of a task than a quest.

Quests should have some mystery and riddle to them.

• 363 posts
    February 19, 2020 9:23 AM PST

Fulton said:

Xanier said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding your concern.

But IMO, those parts in separate zones, is what made it a quest.

You want that sword of uber killing? well great. The sword was broken into pieces after the war, and last anyone knew the hilt was in the mountains of doom, the blade was in the valley of the dead and the guard was last seen in the lake of imminent death.

By definitition a quest is a long or arduous search for something. I kind of liked acquiring parts over time.

In most modern MMOs, what they call quests, "Go find me a rats tail", is more of a task than a quest.

Quests should have some mystery and riddle to them.

Agreed 100% - I enjoyed EQOA much more than modern MMOs because after level 5 you only did one quest every 2-3 levels, they were long, and offered a great reward at the end.

I don't want to be an errand boy.

• 768 posts
    February 19, 2020 10:27 AM PST

Valid point, Fulton. Fingers crossed eh.

• 5 posts
    February 19, 2020 1:03 PM PST
    I wonder if Xanier will see this since his original post was from 2015.
    • 793 posts
    February 20, 2020 8:02 AM PST

Hey, we're just testing the Necromancing abilities. ;)

• 2001 posts
    February 20, 2020 1:22 PM PST

spec4army said:

quest and interacting with items whiel in group. will that be shared quest and info or will every one have to click on the stuff

In a discussion highlighting Perception, it was mentioned that quests which come from Perception are considered by the Devs to be quite distinct from the ones that come from NPCs. I believe it was said that in a group, one person with high Perception skill won't be able to accept a quest for the whole group. But I could be wrong.

However for quests that come from just talking to an NPC, I haven't heard any specific policy on if they are shareable or not. I hope they are.

Albytaps said: I’m almost 100% positive you will have to reach each and every area/NPC/perception yourself to trigger the quests and/or continue them.

Is your answer based on something the Devs said or wrote?

• 8 posts
    February 21, 2020 6:37 AM PST

No it's not from anything I heard. Was just asking because of the way questing works in wow, and that the devs had said the game will be grouped base. 

• 2001 posts
    February 21, 2020 4:00 PM PST

Thanks for responding but I was actually asking Albytaps about the "almost 100% positive" response. Often others have read or heard a statement from one of the Devs that the rest of us haven't heard about yet.

Also, welcome to the forums :)

• 5 posts
    February 21, 2020 9:58 PM PST
    No it’s just my speculation, sorry for any confusion.

It feels like VR is guiding the game in a certain direction and those are just my thoughts. However, now that you mention perception checks and npcs, maybe they will have some shareable... maybe even some form of daily quests.
    • 2001 posts
    February 21, 2020 11:24 PM PST

Albytaps said: No it’s just my speculation, sorry for any confusion.

Roughly half of us on the forums need to use that as our signature :D

• 2752 posts
    February 22, 2020 1:09 AM PST

Jothany said:

However for quests that come from just talking to an NPC, I haven't heard any specific policy on if they are shareable or not. I hope they are.

I hope there is no need to share them and there isn't quest flagging required at all. I hope quest items are just always part of any given loot tables or ground spawns that anyone might stumble across and possibly wonder "what is this for?"

This post was edited by Iksar at February 22, 2020 1:09 AM PST
    • 2001 posts
    February 22, 2020 12:44 PM PST

Iksar said:

I hope there is no need to share them and there isn't quest flagging required at all. I hope quest items are just always part of any given loot tables or ground spawns that anyone might stumble across and possibly wonder "what is this for?"

I truly don't understand how you can have a quest in an MMO without flagging.

This post was edited by Jothany at February 22, 2020 12:44 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    February 22, 2020 5:11 PM PST

Jothany said:

I truly don't understand how you can have a quest in an MMO without flagging.

If you find items on your travels and pick them up only to later find someone who desires said things, you turn them in. You don't need to be flagged beforehand for the goblins to drop goblin ears so you can later turn them in.

The same exact way many quests worked in EQ.

This post was edited by Iksar at February 22, 2020 5:11 PM PST
    • 2001 posts
    February 22, 2020 5:23 PM PST

Oh my. This is the first time I've ever been glad that I never played EQ.

Mostly I was thinking of the more involved quests, like the ones to get armor and weapons. Not so much the simple 'gather 10 of xxx stuff'.

Seems like we'd all be getting an enormous amount of relatively useless items in loot if the game can't modify the loot drops for those who are flagged for the goblin ears quest and those who aren't.

• 2752 posts
    February 22, 2020 8:17 PM PST

Jothany said:

Oh my. This is the first time I've ever been glad that I never played EQ.

Mostly I was thinking of the more involved quests, like the ones to get armor and weapons. Not so much the simple 'gather 10 of xxx stuff'.

Seems like we'd all be getting an enormous amount of relatively useless items in loot if the game can't modify the loot drops for those who are flagged for the goblin ears quest and those who aren't.

So you leave no-drop items you don't know/care about on the corpses, it wasn't at all a burden. Those that could be dropped doubled as vendor loot or possibly used in crafting. I don't see what is added with the drops only appearing for loot (and only for those flagged?) with required flagging before being able to gather quest items.

Instead of having to be flagged or sharing quests you literally just share your knowledge of a quest "oh yeah these gnoll scalps are wanted by the local constable" and the rest of your group can start gathering them to turn in later.

Plenty of the more involved quests for weapons or armor (at least of the limited quests) worked the same.

This post was edited by Iksar at February 22, 2020 8:18 PM PST
    • 2756 posts
    February 24, 2020 11:15 PM PST

For those collection quests it might make sense that the items don't even appear unless you start the quest.

Let's face it, you aren't going to scalp the orc you killed for no good reason - not unless you have been sent to get them - it's weird (unimmersive).

Well, you might scalp it for no good reason, but you would have to vivsect and preserve every part of every corpse you ever 'make' to be sure of getting all the possible quest items, so again, just having a scalp 'drop' for no reason is silly.

• 2419 posts
    February 25, 2020 7:34 AM PST

Albytaps said: I’m almost 100% positive you will have to reach each and every area/NPC/perception yourself to trigger the quests and/or continue them.

I never really like games where every 'quest' required you to first go to some NPC who then just sends you back out to the spot you were just in but now, amazingly, the thing(s) you're looking for suddenly start dropping.  I prefer some portion of the quests we'll come across to be where we just happen upon some item, drop, whathaveyou and then need to go in search of an NPC that might want/need it.

I think back to the early days of EQ1, adventuring in Crushbone and you'd get Crushbone Belts to drop.  At first nobody knew what they were for so most sold them to the vendor.  It wasn't until Dwarven players came over from Kaladim told the Elves that some NPC in Kaladim wanted those belts and would reward handsomly for them.  Here we had the players be directly involved in spreading the existence of an NPC who wanted these belts.  The belts were always there, that NPC was always there.  You could get into the quest via either route.  That's a bit more interesting than always having to find an NPC to see if it actually wants you to get him/her something.

• 1273 posts
    February 25, 2020 7:52 AM PST

... That's a bit more interesting than always having to find an NPC ... 

Totally agree with this.  The quest drops should exist whether you know about the quest or not.  It's more realistic and more emmersive at the same time.