Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Memorable Newbie Deaths?

• 453 posts
    July 15, 2015 4:34 PM PDT

What are some of your most memorable deaths as a newbie? Do certain ones stick in your mind for one reason or another? 

Like many, I remember the zillions of times I fell to my death from the treetops of Kelethin or my first venture into Kithicor forest at night. The time that sticks out most in my mind is having a friend twink the heck out of me with tons of nice gear and then immediately from Paineel I fall into The Hole from the top and down to my death. I freaked wondering how was I to get all my nice stuff back !? A nice necro used summon corpse for me a few hours later after hearing my pleas . 

• 311 posts
    July 15, 2015 5:26 PM PDT

I have a fond memory of Trengal Keep train deaths. Playing with my brother just getting into some three dots me a DK tank my brother a shammy healer and the shout of train, or watching a guy run by and looking back the way he came from and seeing 20-30 mobs coming course then I would lag out and think oh "s***" cause it just took us 15 min to get where we where. I learned fast anyone comes running out from up ahead of you just turn and run don't stare and watch.

• 43 posts
    July 15, 2015 5:26 PM PDT

Yes!

My very first venture into East Commonlands! This was during the last 2 weeks of beta before the release and my very first experience with a graphical MMO. I was in the USA on vacation visiting a friend that was there studying. He played the beta and I was introduced to Everquest for the first time.

Finally took the first step into East Commonlands. I was very excited to actually be zoning (weird, I know). Once I entered I just carefully started to explore, but, I didn't get very far. Something hit me and I started spinning, then, hit me again and you could hear those bones crush and I was dead. I didn't even see it coming. 

I read the combat text. A madman had killed me, and I didn't even see him maybe because of lag or something. From that day on I hated madmen. LOL!

Not sure what happend because I think they removed them from East Commonlands at some point. I can't really remember. But I'll never forget that death!

• 105 posts
    July 15, 2015 6:12 PM PDT

I guess my very favorite was when the Sleeper was woken on the Rathe server in EverQuest.  That dragon just laid waste everywhere.  I was completely awed.  I also had my share of falling out of Kelethin, falling off the gorge to Highpass, and the whole group listening to the ranger when he said, "follow me," then he proceeded to lead us off the edge of some some gorge in a Velious zone.  Yes, we all fell--I mean it was a white zone and it was hard to see!

And how about the spectres in Oasis?   How many times did someone drag them to to docks to kill lowbies?  Running the zone wall in Kithicor at night and hearing the giggle that meant you'd been spotted--another pants-wetter.  And the trains in Karnor's...

Kinda strange to remember game deaths with fondness, eh? 

edited to clean up some sloppy formatting

This post was edited by Marilee at July 16, 2015 1:45 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    July 15, 2015 6:16 PM PDT

My first death I drowned in Felwithe after jumping off the bridge. The whole RMB to pan camera was new to me having only played FPS games where you naturally mouselook without RMB.

• 51 posts
    July 15, 2015 8:06 PM PDT
    Hmm, I'd say going afk in east common lands in my high teens thinking it was safe only to return to my screen slaughtered by a roaming griffin!
    • 126 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:39 AM PDT

My first real MMO was Everquest II. I had not much idea of tanks, damage dealers, supporter and healer, yes I was really that green. I remember me fondly doing the level 20 armor quest in Stormhold and falling down from the spiral staircase to my death.

Group was already little pissed because of group debt, then because of reasons we got millions and millions of skeletons and I ran screaming away from the group to my horrible death. When the other millions of skeletons were done with killing me, they killed my group. Oh the memories :D

(ps I am much more accomplished right now, no need to fear grouping with me)

This post was edited by Duffy at July 16, 2015 1:45 PM PDT
    • 67 posts
    July 16, 2015 4:29 AM PDT

During the first 7-9 months of Vanguard I was in the top 100 deaths on the server on my Necromancer.  I would say this was mostly because of me pushing my limits.  Though, many of my deaths were because of my transmogrify/bloodfeast.  I'd leave that sucker running after combat, then In  the middle of talking to my group, I turn into a nice tombstone. RIP

• 120 posts
    July 16, 2015 5:19 AM PDT
    That would be hard to say. EQ was the first MMO my wife and I ever played, we really weren't very good at it at first so I got us killed alot.
    places like Rathe mountains and Guk, all before lvl 15.
    • 1778 posts
    July 16, 2015 8:56 AM PDT
    AC: Getting Owned by a pack of Drudges outside starter area.

FFXI: Getting deleveled by a level 9 Goblin Thug in East Sarutabaruta. Yep the guy in my Avatar lol.
    This post was edited by Amsai at July 16, 2015 1:46 PM PDT
    • 142 posts
    July 16, 2015 9:18 AM PDT

A couple early deaths stick out to me.

First was a group wipe from Meldrath...that damned Gnome Necromancer in the minocaves in Steamfont. Led to a long CR run from Kaladim in the black of night. And a tense creep thru the caves until we found our corpses again.

The second was a suprise death as I unknowingly passed too close to the Fae Camp in Lesser Faydark. Still to new to know about /corpse, I think I got killed 4 times by those Faes as I was trying to loot my corpse.   Locating that corpse was a challenge in itself.  I never could get the full layout of Lesser Fay affixed in my mind.

Homercles,

Veeshan

• 409 posts
    July 16, 2015 11:05 AM PDT

Standard EQ1 n00b deaths:

Not remapping auto-attack to something other than 'Q', getting smoked by your guildmaster for it.
    Drowning because swimming made no sense the first time you did it.
    Falling off Kelethin.

Standard necro deaths:

Lich myself to death
    Finding out Feign Death doesn't always work

Most memorable deaths:

Brownie scouts in Lesser Faydark
    Falling into jail cell in Mistmoore, needing two whole days to get corpse back

Standard trains that have killed me:

sand giants/spectres to docks!!
    something bad to zoneline!!

This post was edited by Venjenz at July 16, 2015 6:07 PM PDT
    • 87 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:43 PM PDT

Hey, look ! Someone left this wand laying on the ground. Clicked on it from my inventory....insta-death...Mod Rod. Derp :)

• 384 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:39 PM PDT

EQ: lol of course falling.... dead.

Accidentally attacking an npc... dead

ending up in Kithicor Forest at night for the first time....  hmm dead.

AC: I'll never forget our first run out to the Direlands, our path was littered with our bodies but we eventually made it.

There were some wasps in AC that were almost impossible for me to see for some reason. I'd be running along then all of a sudden, dead.

• 2138 posts
    July 17, 2015 7:03 AM PDT

I was in Toxx, I could not see at night, and every time I logged in it always happened to be night, or so it seemed. Thinking it was "part of the game" and something to work through I did my best (I dd not know of fire beetle eyes). My best involved learning the topography, as far a out as I could- as if blind by memory. Toxx at that time was thin with things to hunt and skellies seemed to sneak up on you- in pairs, and the horror that was the Heretic prophets were unpredictable. (I knew FACTION was one thing, but DOGMA too? sheesh- what a game!). So to get to some targets, you had to go in a little- deep in the forest.

I found a spot, I knew how the kobolds roamed, skunks and kobolds were doable, and one skeleton, maybe. I had learned that holding a skunk scent gland out in the open, -in an open inventory spot- seemed to keep the skeletons away- or reduced their aggro radius- as if I stank. I also realized that is progressively lowered my CHA but that took a while (I wondered why I was so badly conned by merchants when I was doing all sorts of local newbie things- I stank! lol).

Found a target, starting, queue music, half way through *Smack* it was a Heretic from behind!. Run left about this far, turn right, the hill should be here- go around hill because going up is too steep and I slow down, left, and left again. Trees, right zig, RUN, Left straight RUN *Smack* 20pct health one more would kill me, the guards should be right.....Turn right- LIGHT, entrance! Just 10 feet away! RUN- *Smack* I died just at the edge of the patio to Erudin. if I had made it over the threshold, the guards would have saved me. I was this close! * holds thumb and finger close together*

• 9 posts
    July 17, 2015 10:34 AM PDT

My very first experience with an MMO was Everquest, shortly after release.

I had made a high elf wizard, wandered around Felwithe for awhile, because back then there were no glowing paths to follow, or giant question marks over quest givers.

I finally made it out to Greater Faydark, was standing there somewhat intimidated because of the spooky sound effects that played in the forest.  I was trying to figure out what a spell was, what I could cast it on.  I was watching the map chat, no idea of what was being said.

Then I heard a grunt, and my character shook.  Turned around to see an Orc Pawn beating the snot out of me.  I struggled to cast on it, but fizzled a bunch of times and then died.  "Loading..please wait"

Another memory was following the path through Gfay, no notion in my mind I could just run straight through the woods to Kelethin.  

I really miss that sense of awe and discovery.  Nowadays I know you can use M for map, hug zone walls, and how to maximize my experience.  

Innocence lost.

• 112 posts
    July 17, 2015 11:11 AM PDT

Toxxulia forest as an eru necro, back when the necro newbie area was the huts outside town, before paineel.  Was recovering by the river and attacked by my first troll, Rungupp.  First experience with blind, I thought my graphics card shat the bed at first from the black screen "but why can i see my icons still?".  Rerolled a mage eru shortly after, cuz their pets looked awesome and DoT's originally didn't give tic information, or worn-off information, so necro wasn't very newbie friendly for me.

Around 5 or so, someone offered to teleport me to a better newbie area.  Having never teleported before, I hesitated some but accepted with their assurance.  Found myself on a wizzy spire surrounded by sand in north ro.  He bound me in freeport, and on one of my first explorations of north ro, someone was training a sand giant towards the zone, and being my stupid logical self.. the tan houses will protect me!  =/  I got squished inside.

First death to a failed Mend wounds xD 

I can't recall the specific instances, mainly pulling lguk, but I remember the feeling of turning a corner in a dungeon with caster aggro and feigning death; then wondering if I feigned before or after that last spell hit me >.>

Can you be considered a newbie at 46?  Didnt know about the gamma setting, and being an erudite I was blind trying to run thru the spectre cave to plane of fear portal, hugging the wall wrong and getting lost with spectre noises all around me, until one roamed into me and killed me quick.

• 753 posts
    July 18, 2015 10:42 PM PDT

Well, apart from "A"sking my trainer a question as the first thing I ever did in EQ....

I think the next best "noob" death for me would be when I finally worked up the courage to leave Greater Faydark and headed over to Orc Highway.  Took me maybe 45 minutes to get there because I didn't know where I was going and was asking all along the way.

I got there - and it was bed time.  But I decided to kill one mob to celebrate arriving before I went to bed.  So off I go, find a mob I can solo - I'm killing it when I see a lot of this in chat:

/ooc SAND GIANT!

Sure enough - I look around and I see this huge thing - and it's not far from me.... AND - of course, I want a closer look.  So I finish killing my mob and then head over by this massive... thing...

And suddenly it starts running toward me.

Queue sickening "thwack" sound.

Queue "Loading, please wait" screen.

Queue sickening "Crap, what am I doing back in Greater Faydark" feeling

Harsh EQ lesson learned.  When you go somewhere new, BIND before you do anything.

• 578 posts
    July 28, 2015 12:32 AM PDT

Not necessarily a 'newbie' death(s) but in the Griffon questline in VG after the Pharoah, after the 6 bosses in OT (believe that was the zone) there was a boss in a very small dungeon I think named Chath. I remember the first time making it to him, along with the following week of attempts, there were literally dozens of tombstones in his chamber lol. I then remember adding my own 20 tombstones. Chath collected so many corpses that I'm sure a couple of players never made it past him.

• 76 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:46 AM PDT

gfaydark, crushbone. HHK Nuff' said.

edit: Karnors Castle due to .. well come on.

This post was edited by Aerolia at July 28, 2015 2:29 AM PDT
    • 112 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:11 AM PDT

everyones first death in an underwater zone. 

*huh, what's that noise?*  gulp gulp gulp dead.

• 781 posts
    August 3, 2015 6:11 AM PDT

Leaving Kelethin as a High elf noob not knowing anything about faction and wondering over into Castle Mistmoore and getting one shot by a wondering dark elf guard that hangs out at the zone line.  Baffled about what just happened, making the trek back only to die again...haha.., not fully understanding why I am being killed or what is even killing me because it all happens so fast..haha   good times !  :)