Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Much love for them quirky little items

• 453 posts
    July 1, 2015 1:13 PM PDT

Both EQ and VG had plenty of silly little quirky (and yet often useful) items. Weapons that procced teleports (i.e. Worker's Sledgemallet) , clicky rings that made you jump a long way, and many other items that had unique and fun uses. I would even count alcohol in EQ as being in the category as it distorted your vision when you were drunk . What are some of the unique and fun items you liked best in the games you have played ?

• 288 posts
    July 1, 2015 2:10 PM PDT

Jboots, Worker's Sledgemallet (melee lifesaver), Invisibility clickies, Plane of Sky had some interesting rechargeable clickies for all classes, some bordering on overpowered, however they made the recharging process only able to happen in Plane of Sky, so that the overpowered nature of the items could be preserved without getting out of control.

The important thing with all of these critical items is that they exist, and are very hard to obtain.

• 2138 posts
    July 1, 2015 6:13 PM PDT

I had a staff with a knock-back effect on it that i liked, it was heavy, but good in a pinch, as well as a dagger with a lighting bolt in it- I was good at piercing so that was really nice if in a frantic group because it would proc alot.

To Rallyd's point I also had the ring from sky from a regular -sort of half raid just to get those items for folks, and just for fun. I never used it, heh, saved it for an emergency: it was a divine aura shield for mages. I was going to click it and jump in the hole, but you couldn't run or jump with it on you,according to Clerics, you had to calmly stroll and hope it lasted log enough.

oh! and there was a doll with a small regen spell on it, it was cute because you had to hug the doll to make you feel better with some health regen. Also Miranda's ball of yarn- it had a snare effect which made sense because I could just see a kitten tangled in a ball of yarn. That was very handy and with 5 charges, fun to play with.

This post was edited by Manouk at July 3, 2015 4:39 AM PDT
    • 67 posts
    July 1, 2015 6:39 PM PDT
    Rallyd said:

Jboots, Worker's Sledgemallet (melee lifesaver), Invisibility clickies, Plane of Sky had some interesting rechargeable clickies for all classes, some bordering on overpowered, however they made the recharging process only able to happen in Plane of Sky, so that the overpowered nature of the items could be preserved without getting out of control.

The important thing with all of these critical items is that they exist, and are very hard to obtain.

Agreed.  I'm sure EQ had a lot more of these items, but VG def had some of those nifty items.  Jboots was one of them.  The quests for these items do really need to have some level of difficulty and/or length in order to obtain them.  Another item that was great in VG (although not really quirky) was the Book of Morfare.  It  had like a 2min cooldown or something, but it gave 10% bonus dmg dealt to undead (group/raid included).  It also gave you the ability to reanimate some corpses to fight for you.  So, as a necromancer you turned a mob undead then used the book and walah OP dmg. 

• 753 posts
    July 2, 2015 5:58 AM PDT

I can't begin to say how much I loved the Worker's Sledgemallet.  The whole design there was brilliant.

Step 1:  Hit mob and hope it procs before mob kills you

Step 2:  Realize that if you aren't evil, you are going to port into a place where the locals really, really hate you

I also liked the idea of clicky illusion items that impact faction... and the whole "jumper cables" idea in WoW was sorta cool.  A MAYBE rez for a class that could not rez.

• 671 posts
    July 2, 2015 8:25 PM PDT

Holgresh Elder Beads...

• 453 posts
    July 3, 2015 4:41 AM PDT
    Hieromonk said:

Holgresh Elder Beads...

I loved it WAYYYY back when necros could lifetap the eyes they summoned. 

This post was edited by Jason at July 3, 2015 4:42 AM PDT
    • 453 posts
    July 3, 2015 4:43 AM PDT
    Wandidar said:

I can't begin to say how much I loved the Worker's Sledgemallet.  The whole design there was brilliant.

Step 1:  Hit mob and hope it procs before mob kills you

Step 2:  Realize that if you aren't evil, you are going to port into a place where the locals really, really hate you

I also liked the idea of clicky illusion items that impact faction... and the whole "jumper cables" idea in WoW was sorta cool.  A MAYBE rez for a class that could not rez.

My favorite too and the quest to get it was somewhat fun for me too just because I loved OT. 

• 384 posts
    July 3, 2015 10:30 AM PDT

Oh man, I love stuff like that.  It's the little things, the attention to little details that really add up and improve the overall play experience. To me it makes the world feel more alive or something and those types of items are a big part of that.

• 409 posts
    July 16, 2015 12:07 PM PDT

Pre-nerf moss covered twig, holgresh elder beads, underwater pots in Timorous Deep as bind point. 

My all time top three favorite "what were the devs thinking" moments of EQ1.