Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

How do organizations flourish?

• 51 posts
    June 29, 2015 1:19 PM PDT

I wanted to ask the community a question based on their personal experience: How do organizations flourish?

A quick google search defines organization as: any organized body of people with a particular purpose, especially a business, society, association, etc. I'd like to say that an organization in the sense of this question is any company the reader has dealt with on an internal level (having worked or had significant experience with). Those of you who have experience in organizations or companies, what was their special sauce that made them so great/poor?

I ask because I think this can be an interesting comparison to MMO companies as they are certainly organizations and ones that requires not only creative direction but business acumen as well. 

Perhaps someone with some background in the MMO scene can chime in to what its like delivering a quality product and how the organization contributes to that; I.e., Brad :D  I say this because I feel the original EQ franchise was extremely successful and what it took manage/ co-create, and deliver such a monumental project such as that was nothing short of miraculous. From the design and concept to the art and lore the experience was irresistible and one that certainly took much structure and communication to accomplish.

I'd be interested to hear anybody from the community who has created and delivered a product, what worked and what didn't?

Valith

• 1434 posts
    June 29, 2015 2:32 PM PDT

Organization is sort of a broad term.  As you said, it describes any body of people coming together with a purpose. When you apply it to the business world, I think you would be better off looking at companies > corporations.

How do they flourish? The simple answer is taking a good concept that you (or many) are passionate about, and surrounding yourself with capable people (preferably smarter than you), with an appreciation of your concept, to make it a reality. It may sound generic, but it generally applies across the board.

The problem with companies, is that often the people who originally started them begin "improving" them based on metrics and profit margins rather than by expanding upon the original idea within the confines of their brand identity. Once increasing profit becomes the number 1 goal, generally selling out to a corporation isn't far behind. This process almost always strips the soul away from the idea that originally made the organization great. While operating under strict policies and a focus on efficiency may work for some companies, its seldom compatible with endeavors driven by creativity.

This post was edited by Dullahan at June 29, 2015 3:38 PM PDT