Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Kiting and moving while casting.

• 2886 posts
    February 23, 2017 12:38 PM PST

gray808 said:

I think any penalties applied to caster due to movement should be applied to melee DPS as well. 

--Gray

Hm, yes and no. If you are referring to activated abilities that cost a resource such as Endurance, then I could see an argument for that. At least for certain abilities. For moving while auto attacking, I could kind of see an argument for a slight increase to your miss chance, but nothing more than that.

• 1860 posts
    February 23, 2017 12:50 PM PST

Nanfoodle said:

So I have seen it said a few times now that there is no kiting in this game or its been nurfed. Can I ask how so? This post seems to say otherwise but it is 2 years old. 

I have seen that to but it was in reference to QUAD kiting...very different from normal, single mob kiting.

• 9115 posts
    February 23, 2017 3:13 PM PST

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

Rominian said:

Respectfully, Brad's original response answers the spell casting question, but not what Nanfoodle asked about kiting, which was what we were responding to, I think.   As far as I can tell, whether or not a spell is cast on the move is not relevant to kiting being possible, since I could routinely quad kite mobs, sit and med for a few seconds, get up and run off, being forced to look at a spell book on my screen as I did so.  All I had to do was learn to count.  :)   I would think mob AI and duration of snares would be far more impactful to this particular technique.  Perhaps commenting on kiting is premature, which I totally understand.:)

But isn't that what you do while kiting? :D

It answers the question by saying we will have variable casting options, some spells will allow you to move while casting = kiting, others will slow you down = not ideal but could work for short distances with speed buffs and some spells will make you stop and concentrate = not ideal for kiting, unless you have a death wish and love living life by the seat of your pants lol :)

Kiting is essentially running around in circles and weird patterns to stay away from a mobs attack radius while casting something to damage the mob, and since we will allow players to run and answered the casting question, it should now be crystal clear my friend :)

From experiance (Quad kilting Wizard in EQ)

Really? Everquest does not allow moving while casting damage spells. Yet there is kiting

Not as crystal clear as a Rogue might think my friend.

/em rolls eyes

There is a lot more to kiting than casting while running arround in circles, or at least there is in other games. Your saying thats all there is to it in Patheon?

Quad and Fear kiting are completely different but again, we answered that with our spells description, when you get to see more class abilities and spells you will see which classes will be able to fear and kite in that manner.

Even without casting a single spell or ability running around with a mob chasing you is kiting, we have that in-game.

P.S. I used to play other classes before I landed on a Rogue main for the last 3 years in VG, I know my kiting man :D

• 1618 posts
    February 23, 2017 4:38 PM PST

You can fight while wearing 4 kilts? The most I have been able to wear was two.

This post was edited by Beefcake at February 23, 2017 4:38 PM PST
    • 52 posts
    February 23, 2017 10:10 PM PST

I am kinda torn on this. I remember when I first played VG I was so happy you could run and cast at the same time. But not long after... I started realizing it took some of the skill out of the game. An example would be kiting in EQ. Remember how perfect you had to time your casts? You finally get some separation from the mob(s) only to see after your 8 sec cast it is interrupted because you had mistimed it and wasnt at a complete stop when you started casting. I am kinda in the mindset that one should have to be in a still position in order to cast a spell. I dont remember the last time I saw a wizard running for his life and casting a firebolt at the same time. Insta cast spells obviously should not be affected but I am just not sure if casters should be able to cast spells while moving. If there are spells that can be cast while moving I hope they are insignificant. As happy as I was in VG when I realized I could cast while running it quickly made me wish I couldnt.

• 2752 posts
    February 23, 2017 11:38 PM PST

We don't know what spells slow you or require you to stop yet. Let's all just wait and see.

This post was edited by Iksar at February 23, 2017 11:38 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 24, 2017 1:22 AM PST

Iksar said:

We don't know what spells slow you or require you to stop yet. Let's all just wait and see.

That sounds like a solid plan my friend :)

• 763 posts
    February 24, 2017 6:11 AM PST

Methinks some people are forgettng that every coin has TWO sides.

If, for some spells, we can move a little, or even a moderate/large amount ....
    ... then so can the caster mobs!!

Eeeeeek!

Now we have to worry about the mobs kiting us!

Evoras, is glad he will have a pet to defend him from enemy casters!

• 441 posts
    February 24, 2017 7:59 AM PST

I hope melee also get some of these restrictions as well. 

• 1434 posts
    February 24, 2017 8:56 AM PST

Melee are already restricted by the fact that they have to be in melee range. I could see some increase in chance to miss while moving though.

• 1399 posts
    February 24, 2017 10:03 AM PST

Beefcake said:

You can fight while wearing 4 kilts? The most I have been able to wear was two.

Lol,  I hate small screens and auto correct.

• 2752 posts
    February 24, 2017 2:21 PM PST

Dullahan said:

Melee are already restricted by the fact that they have to be in melee range. I could see some increase in chance to miss while moving though.

I'd say hit chance increased when/if chasing a mob and in range since they won't be as likely to block/dodge/parry and are likely not looking back over their shoulder, but attack speed lowered by maybe 20% or so being swinging while running is a bit more involved. 

If anything that is. Melee are already at the disadvantage of having to be and stay in melee range/play chase. 

This post was edited by Iksar at February 24, 2017 2:22 PM PST
    • 294 posts
    February 24, 2017 2:52 PM PST

Some spells are immediate and should not even need to be aimed. They can not miss, nor be interrupted. Magic Missile from our old D&D days comes to mind. I believe some spells should even be able to travel around corners.

Other spells take time to cast and need to fix on a target or target area. These can miss and can be interrupted while being cast. These spells can not be cast on the fly.

I like the idea of a caster moving about to gain a better vantage. Perhaps a spell does more damage with a direct line of sight, rather than around a corner, but could be cast either way.

• 690 posts
    February 24, 2017 10:04 PM PST

I know I prefer that spells which are harder to cast give more dps at the same mana cost, rather than having uniform dps no matter what style of spell you choose to spam.

I know instant casts should probably have decent cooldowns so its not "find the best one and spam it".

In fact, I like the idea on cooldowns even on long cast time spells to keep you on your toes, changing things up.

Moving while you cast is cool but I agree that only some spells should allow it. It's an important part for solo casters after all and I know i'll be doing some of that. 

The more obvious solo cheese strat spells like root, summon pet, heal pet, dark pact, etc probably shouldn't let you move while you cast them tho=(