Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Kiting and moving while casting.

• 338 posts
    June 11, 2015 5:32 AM PDT

I played a Psionicist for my main in VG and I really like how you could move around while casting.

You didn't move at full speed but it was good for repositioning out of AE's and for some kiting.

For me it made the game feel more involved than just standing still all the time like in EQ1 as a caster.

Maybe it should be on a spell by spell basis where some can be cast on the move and others you have to plant your feet to cast ?

Hmm this could be linked to cast time possibly with under 3second casts on the move and over 3second cast stationary /shrug...

What do you prefer ?

Kiz~

• 1434 posts
    June 11, 2015 6:07 AM PDT

I didn't mind moving in Vanguard, but it kind of depends on how they deal with spell interrupts.  If I recall correctly, in VG your spell progress went down every time you were hit, with a chance of the spell being interrupted.  As long as theres a way to be interrupted (maybe depending partly on channeling skill) moving around at a reduced speed is OK.

I more hope that cast times in Pantheon are a little closer to EQ than VG where most spells seemed really fast.  If the cast times are longer, it would make even more sense to allow some degree of movement.

They could make channeling while moving have a high chance of interrupting until you increase a skill called mobile channeling.  It might even be better if theres always a chance to be interrupted if you move.  Spell casting is usually all about "focus", so maybe a system where you have a higher chance of crits while stationary.  Just some ideas.

This post was edited by Dullahan at June 11, 2015 6:10 AM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    June 11, 2015 9:52 AM PDT
    Angrykiz said:

I played a Psionicist for my main in VG and I really like how you could move around while casting.

You didn't move at full speed but it was good for repositioning out of AE's and for some kiting.

For me it made the game feel more involved than just standing still all the time like in EQ1 as a caster.

Maybe it should be on a spell by spell basis where some can be cast on the move and others you have to plant your feet to cast ?

Hmm this could be linked to cast time possibly with under 3second casts on the move and over 3second cast stationary /shrug...

What do you prefer ?

Kiz~

Here is the plan -- more details to follow as we approach/start beta:

1. Some spells will allow you to move at normal speed when casting

2. Some spells will slow you down when casting, but you are still moving

3. Some spells will require you to stay in one spot while casting.

It's the how many, what are the percentages of each, and which ones, etc. that probably won't be answerable until beta because that's when we'll have people in testing.

It's I guess a mixture of EQ & VG, although that may be an over-simplification.

This post was edited by Aradune at July 25, 2015 1:05 PM PDT
    • 12 posts
    June 11, 2015 3:25 PM PDT

Awesome, the fact that this is being addressed is a great sign. Also in EQ1, the wizard's instant cast nukes were fun too. Sacrificing efficiency (dmg per mana) for burst damage.

• June 12, 2015 5:30 AM PDT
    Aradune said:
    Angrykiz said:

What do you prefer ?

Kiz~

It's the how many, what are the percentages of each, and which ones, etc. that probably won't be answerable until beta because that's when we'll have people in testing.

Spell casting should require focus of attention, in my opinion, and should take time to execute.  If we talk about instant casts, then perhaps a reduction in damage, whether it be a dot or direct, if casting spells which allow for movement while executing?  For instance, using EQ1 spells, if Flame Lick were used by a level 3 druid,  and that druid was running/moving while casting it, then each tic of damage would only be level 2 damage.  Instead of 3 dmg a tic, it would be 2.  If the druid was set in place the dmg would be 3 per tic.

I would like it for immersion purposes.  It could be the same for heals for the cleric class.  Yes, I can heal myself or another player while in a run for the city gates, but it will be for a considerably less amount of hp's than if I had stopped, set myself, and then cast.  Immersion, danger, last minute saves/escapes.  If my cleric has gained aggro with his heals,  and was trying to move away from an angry mob while it was being mezzed/rooted/tank taunting it off,  he could still throw a heal but it would be less effective. 

I am partial to this idea as it opens up new minor (possibly major) strategic decision making options in a grouping environment.   If there is good depth in the spell casters repertoire, the memorization decisions become more involved as well.

• 12 posts
    June 12, 2015 7:43 AM PDT

EQ primarily relied on start-casting-position and end-casting-position.That's why you could stand in a corner, start casting Complete Heal, run around the room, and as long as you got back to your corner, would still go off. Later MMOs sensed movement immediately and would interrupt spell casting.

I do like the idea of reduced benefit based on movement. The way I would see this working is there is a "Focus Meter/Bar". It starts at 100%, as you move the bar reduces itself (90%, 80%, 70%, etc), and whatever its value is at the completion of the spell cast, that's the multiplier of the heal/damage number. I'd suggest a minimum (floor) amount like 30% regardless of how much movement. Likely a ton of work to build something like this into the game for casters, but it would add fluidness to the way casters have been typically pigeonholed.

So for illustration, you're running through the forest, your Focus=30% (because that's the floor). You see a grizzly bear to nuke. If you continued running and cast your spell, and continued running through the entire cast time,  your nuke that does 100dmg max, would inflict 30dmg.

Same scenario, running the the forest at Focus=30%, you cast your nuke at the grizzly bear, but instead, you stop running and stand your ground through the whole cast of 3 seconds, your focus would be at 60% (assuming Focus returned at 10% per one second) and deal 60dmg. This would create an accordion visual effect withe focus meter but it would allow casters to be more exciting.

This post was edited by MeanGary at June 15, 2015 10:26 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    June 12, 2015 10:32 AM PDT
    MeanGary said:

EQ primarily relied on start-casting-position and end-casting-position.That's why you could stand in a corner, start casting Complete Heal, run around the room, and as long as you got back to your corner, would still go off. Later MMOs sensed movement immediately and would interrupt spell casting.

I do like the idea of reduced benefit based on movement. The way I would see this played out is there a "Focus Meter/Bar". It starts at 100%, as you move the bar reduces itself (90%, 80%, 70%, etc), and whatever its value is at the completion of the spell cast, that's the multiplier of the heal/damage number. I'd suggest a minimum (floor) amount like 30% regardless of how much movement. Likely a ton of work to build something like this into the game for casters, but it would add fluidness to the way casters have been typically pigeonholed.

So for illustration, you're running through the forest, your Focus=30% (because that's the floor). You see a grizzly bear to nuke. If you continued running and cast your spell, and continued running through the entire cast time,  your nuke that does 100dmg max, would inflict 30dmg.

Same scenario, running the the forest at Focus=30%, you cast your nuke at the grizzly bear, but instead, you stop running and stand your ground through the whole cast of 3 seconds, your focus would be at 60% (assuming Focus returned at 10% per one second) and deal 60dmg. This would create an accordion effect but it would allow casters to be more exciting.

I like this idea.  I also liked Brad's ideas.  Its just good to see some fresh mechanics getting thrown into the mix.  Pantheon might have an oldschool flavor, but these are the kinds of things that could really make combat more interesting.

On another kiting related subject, I have been wondering if the team has considered giving npcs range attacks appropriate for their class.  In EQ, everyone could do something from range.  It would be really nice to see mobs attacking from range more often.  The damage would most likely be lower than melee damage depending on the class or if the mob had a special ranged weapon, but I would actually like seeing ez mode kiting become a little harder.

This post was edited by Dullahan at June 12, 2015 10:33 AM PDT
    • 288 posts
    June 13, 2015 1:59 PM PDT

I really love MeanGary's idea there, that sounds like a fantastic way to handle concentration during spellcasting.

• 2138 posts
    June 13, 2015 4:29 PM PDT

I like the idea because you can choose or mix spell sets for certain situations, and you have to strategize those spells for the situations.

As a Mage in EQ1 I liked the idea of new elementals only every 4 levels because you were forced to learn how to use the elemental for four levels, while it got slightly weaker as you leveled. By the time you got up to or close to max level, the strengths and weaknesses of all were known and I would swap out depending on the group make up. For the longest time I thought Fire was lousy and all the other mages were saying how it was the best and I was like- have you tried soloing with the thing?, it breaks its own root, agro's the neighbor, can't' use a weapon effectively, casts every spell it knows until it runs out of mana and a strong wind can kill it ( which I preffered before they "fixed" it) but oh, get in a good group where trains are common and intended and that little fireball just wont stop and at the end still has enough mana to flex and re-cast its firesheild while the wizard is still sitting there, medding. 

• 781 posts
    August 25, 2016 3:34 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Angrykiz said:

What do you prefer ?

Kiz~

What determines which spells slow you down, or which ones interrupt when you move ? 

• 40 posts
    August 25, 2016 3:57 PM PDT

Aradune said:

That sounds good, just standing still in combat might have worked in the 90s but I like moving in combat nowadays. That said, powerful spells (like meteorstrike, earthquake and similar) should force you to stand still, it is a nice way to balance the more powerful spells...

• 96 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:21 PM PDT

This is great news,  I'm ecstatic to hear that some spells won't reduce your mobility.   I'm assuming that they will either be weaker or cost more mana... But that's the price you pay,  right? 

• 1778 posts
    August 26, 2016 9:01 AM PDT
    I really like the mix idea. I think it's a good way to go as to the how.

I'd say depends on the type of magic or purpose of the magic or strength of it.

Like Bard spells vs Wizard
    Or ice spears vs blizzards (spears should be fast)
    Or low tier spell vs high tier spell(more focus for bigger spell)
    • 173 posts
    August 26, 2016 9:16 AM PDT

MeanGary said:

I do like the idea of reduced benefit based on movement. The way I would see this working is there is a "Focus Meter/Bar". It starts at 100%, as you move the bar reduces itself (90%, 80%, 70%, etc), and whatever its value is at the completion of the spell cast, that's the multiplier of the heal/damage number. I'd suggest a minimum (floor) amount like 30% regardless of how much movement. Likely a ton of work to build something like this into the game for casters, but it would add fluidness to the way casters have been typically pigeonholed.

Same scenario, running the the forest at Focus=30%, you cast your nuke at the grizzly bear, but instead, you stop running and stand your ground through the whole cast of 3 seconds, your focus would be at 60% (assuming Focus returned at 10% per one second) and deal 60dmg. This would create an accordion visual effect withe focus meter but it would allow casters to be more exciting.

Sorry for being late to the party, but I like this idea.  To me it just makes logical sense that it's harder to concentrate while moving, but not impossible to at least get the spell off (at a reduced effectiveness).

This post was edited by Holdolin at August 26, 2016 9:17 AM PDT
    • 166 posts
    August 26, 2016 9:29 AM PDT

The really strong spells should take a decent cast time. Weaker spells or buffs, HoTs and DoTs could be instant and of course there should be spells in between. Some spells may even be channeled.

While casting the instant spells should be no big problem when movig, the channeled ones should be interrupted when you move. For the spells with cast time, you should have a throw back in the progression of your cast, if you move.

Incomming damage should have a similar effect on your casts. That you could be interrupted, your casting time could be increased or nothing happens to your cast when you get hitten.

If cast A gets an increase of the cast time when moving but nothing happens when you got hitten you might think about taking the damage and not moving to finish your cast.

If cast B get an increase of cast time when moving and a similar increase when gettinng hitten, then it might be the better solution to avoid the damage.

This could bring a huge amount of diversity how to react in a concrete moment. Is it better to move to avoid damage or better to take the damage and finish your strong cast?

• 243 posts
    August 26, 2016 10:18 AM PDT

I also think the concentration things you guys suggest are a good idea, I know it can be annoying to have to stop, cast, then run away again.  I think that perhaps all ranged damage should be affected this way, perhaps with ways to offset the reduction in effectiveness by specializing in certain trainable abilities.  I imagine a Ranger on the run to be less effective just like a caster would be. 

• 112 posts
    August 26, 2016 12:04 PM PDT

I would think that having a reduction in spell effectiveness OR an increase in mana cost would be a good way to penalize someone for moving while casting.  

Should this logic be applied to being damaged while casting as well?  If you're allowing people to avoid disrupting their spells (due to a "lack of focus") while moving, then shouldn't the same be available for avoiding spell disruption while being damaged?

My question at that point would be do you give players the option to choose between the two?  

Personally I liked EQ's system mostly, and felt like DaoC answered casters complaints significantly with Quickcast (allowing a caster to cast a single spell without melee interupting you).  I haven't had much experience with the movement while casting idea, so for me it will come down to how it's implemented and for which spells.

As for the kiting comment, I would love to see more intelligent npc's handle fights better.  When confronted with someone kiting them, they might try to adapt after being nuked some by using line of sight to make it difficult for you.  Seeing a powerhouse of an npc completely ignore a remainder of a group beating on it while it's kited around by the main dps always seemed silly tbh.

• 60 posts
    August 26, 2016 12:29 PM PDT

Aradune said:

This will be confusing unless the difference is obvious.  One DD needing you to stand while another you can move makes no sense as described in this simple way.

The difference between a spell alowing you to move vs stand sounds like it should be locked to classes, not spells within a class.  For instance, bards can move while singing/twisting.. tanks can move while taunting/stunning/etc.. but clerics, wizards, shamans etc nee dto stand still.  If movement during casting is locked to 'how a class plays' as opposed to spell x vs spell y, then gameplay will be more intrinsic.

.. but i guess beta will tell.

• 763 posts
    August 26, 2016 1:04 PM PDT

There is a fair ammount of mileage here.... and a couple of 'possible issues'.

1. Reduction in Focus starts immediately when you move. It continues per tick as you keep moving. If you stop moving, it stops going down ... but stays static for a second/tick before it rises again.

2. The minimum should probably be about 20% rather than 30% (back of beermat calculation) - don't forget that the only way to get down to 20% would be a very Long cast time. But thats not really material.

3. Damage *must* have more chance of breaking the spell if you are moving. I.e. 'damage effects' are to 'reduce focus' by a certain ammount, dependent on damage taken. If your focus is reduced to zero then spell broken. This means the more you move, the more likely to have your spell broken.

4. Stun effects are still nasty and should be :) Buffs will also only produce lower results for moving.. so if u in combat and need to rebuff, stay still unless there is an AE coming in!.

5. BONUS idea :

A. All we discussed assumed a spell 'of your level', ie the latest version.

B1. What say, if you use 'an earlier' version, there should either be a (v.small) reduction in casting time, a reduction (say -8% instead of -10% per sec) in rate of focus loss, or a (slight) raising of the minimum focus (say +10% higher than your 'minimum' of 30%). The 'next earlier' version might be as much extra again (say -6%/sec or min = 50%).

B2. Alternative version ... for each 'X levels above' the spell level the caster is, the values change in your favour. Eg say X = 2. For a level 12 spell with lev 12 character = -10%/sec. If lev 14 character = -9%/sec. For level 16 chracter = -8%/sec and so on until some 'minimum reduction level'.

Both of these would be to add flexibility and perhaps represent that the caster is 'more able' at higher levels to cast these 'easier magics'.

However.....

Word of Warning 1: Allowing 'static' spells to be used moving will change the dynamic massively. They may also change the 'pace' of combat and 'wreck' some of the designated downtime. Since Brad is already considering a category of spells for both 'instant use' (likely self/emergency/mez/stun/interrupt types) and some 'move at reduced speed' (likely shorter cast-time DDs/DoTs or debuff/cancels) I think we may have to wait to find what categories are still going to be 'static' spells to be able to establish what would get 'broken'..

Word of Warning 2: This presumes 'focus reduction per sec' rather than 'reduction per tick'. This is a significant issue from a client/server POV. To minimise the intelligence of the client, character effects will have to be sent server -> client. It could increase overheads significantly, or might mean lag issues could easily de-synch the focus % held server-side and reported client-side. Rather depends on how Unity handles it in a cut-down (minimised) client setup.

• 96 posts
    August 26, 2016 2:03 PM PDT

Now that I've had a little more of a chance to think about how this could be implemented...I wonder if, rather than certain spells just having this ability, it will be one of the mods that are possible through the spell modification system.  That doesn't mean that it will be available to all spells, and that you would choose the ability to do this over another potential spell mod.  Just more and more ways that you can truely make your character your own, but still have it be recognized as part of its class.  I like it!

• 1778 posts
    August 26, 2016 2:12 PM PDT

I dont think it needs to be too complicated. Though I do love the way you break things down Evoras. (The meta is strong with this one ^.^)

But with the 3 categories Brad used I think it would be safe to play it by feel:

Bard songs or most melee abilities, certain fast casted abilites like a stun or magic ice arrow, and if there is ever a class that does Psychic damage: Shouldnt be hampered by movement. There would need to be some exceptions (Maybe like a Tanks ability to anchor against knock backs?). But like I said Im mostly going off of feel here.

Most other magic be it esoteric, divine, arcane, or nature should be the other 2 categories. But I feel most of these should fall into the slow movement category. 

Any other truly powerful spells should make you stand still. (Things like a top tier or Prime version of a Fire spell).

Now none of this is me saying what kind of casting or cool down or potency there would be (those would also differ by class, spell type etc.) Just the movement aspect. But in general the more powerful the casting if its more magical the longer it should take to cast and everything in category 2 should have a loss in potency for movement. And of course category 3 should be full interrupt on movement. But they will also be much more potent/powerful spells. And CDs can be done by feel too. (stunning would be a short CD, and sleeping would be long)

Of course this is the part where somebody tells me they dont like my "feel" on it ^.^. That they want to be able to insta cast everything and move where ever they want when ever they want. But there are some things you just develop a feel for through the infinite fantasy games, movies, anime, and novels youve enjoyed. And I have a pretty precise view (Im sure others do to) of how certain abilities and spells should play out and its not really based on numbers.

Bard should be dancing in and out of combat through the battlefield as he throws out songs.

Wizard should be able to sling out some quick spell arrows while on the move but have to really concentrate (1 mins or so) to call fire from the heavens.

Summoner has to dive deep into the deepest reams of the spirit ( 2-3 mins) world to bring forth a mighty earth elemental, but once he has been summoned there really isnt much slowing him down.

etc, etc.

I cant be the only one that pictures this stuff in your head? So this is what I mean by play it by feel. And then add numbers to support it,

• 2756 posts
    August 28, 2016 3:04 PM PDT

I would like to see some class equality and balance here.  I don't see why it's just casters that need to concentrate or be intricate in their movements to succeed in their abilities.

I absolutely do not want all classes to be 'the same' but there are some mechanics that, to me, never made sense and/or were never 'fun' just applying to some and not others.

Hunter tries to make a very precise shot.  Warrior tries to disarm an opponent.  Rogue tries to evade by cart-wheeling away.  All require precise, practiced movements or are reduced in effectiveness or fail.

I would like to see mobility (or lack of) and position *matter* to all classes.  It's a fundamental mechanic with an important tactical aspect that would be fun for everyone to experience.

This post was edited by disposalist at August 28, 2016 3:05 PM PDT
    • 613 posts
    September 13, 2016 12:43 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Angrykiz said:

What do you prefer ?

Kiz~

Nice!  For some reason I had vissions of a rat kicking my butt as I fizzled and tried to run from it. 

Will we get more on this soon?

Ox

• 17 posts
    September 13, 2016 1:00 PM PDT

BloodbeardBattlecaster said:

Spell casting should require focus of attention, in my opinion, and should take time to execute.  If we talk about instant casts, then perhaps a reduction in damage, whether it be a dot or direct, if casting spells which allow for movement while executing?  For instance, using EQ1 spells, if Flame Lick were used by a level 3 druid,  and that druid was running/moving while casting it, then each tic of damage would only be level 2 damage.  Instead of 3 dmg a tic, it would be 2.  If the druid was set in place the dmg would be 3 per tic.

This may be nitpicking, but this is incorrect. In EQ1, player movement did not increase nor decrease spell damage. The Flame Lick spell was a damage over time (DoT) spell. Early in EQ, if a dotted (DoTed) mob was moving when the damage landed (per tick), DoT damage was reduced, unless it was feared. Later in the game, double damage was applied to archery for rangers on stationary (not rooted, but standing still while able to move if they chose to do so) targets as well. This was done to reduce the effectiveness of kiting. The damage landed the same regardless of caster movement. Eventually, it was changed so DoT damage landed for full regardless. Caster movement resulted in spell interrupt if the caster was too far from original position when the spell cast time was complete as already pointed out in an earlier post.

This post was edited by Gladare at September 13, 2016 1:01 PM PDT
    • 294 posts
    September 13, 2016 1:40 PM PDT

I like the idea of some spells not hindered by movement. Especially instant spell casts. You should be able to throw an instant spell cast on the fly.

I like the idea of some, perhaps maybe the more formidable spell casts, being held to a stance without motion. Some spells need concentration.

How about the idea of spell casts, and perhaps skills as well, used while mounted.

That said, I have often toyed with the idea of druids being able to cause wind associated spells to aid in the speed of sailing vessels. Ship mounted spells and skills are a viable idea also, if there will be combat aboard ships, and/or other modes of travel.

Just some thoughts. What do you all think about mounted combat?