Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Saga of Lucimia: Another old School Spirit of EQ MMO

• 37 posts
    May 17, 2015 3:19 PM PDT

Saga of Lucimia: Another old School Spirit of EQ MMO Project by a fellow Pantheon Backer. Something to consider alongside Pantheon.  Similar old school MMO design focus.

See Saga of Lucimia's Indiegogo here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-saga-of-lucimia-indiegogo-campaign/x/8598495

Their website here:  http://sagaoflucimia.com/

Recent Twitch shows in game: http://www.twitch.tv/sagaoflucimia/b/660050224

Tim Anderson, the guy pitching the game in the video, is an interesting guy. I used to talk to him quite a bit when Brad was working on getting Pantheon funded via Kickstarter and via private crowdfunding. If I remember correctly Tim was a Community Manager on the old Visionary Realms site.

He is very eloquent, and knows MMOs. I 'think' he also is after that feeling classic EQ gave many people. I had no idea he was involved in game development.  I just thought he was a fan.

I backed it (though not nearly at the level I backed Pantheon).  One, because I think Tim wouldn't be doing this if he didn't think he couldn't pull it off. Two, because I liked his ideas from the Pantheon days. Tim thinks outside the box.  He is not held back by perceived boundaries.  I'd love to see what he can create if given the opportunity.  Progress looks good.

Assuming ok to post here since Off Topic but since I guess it could be considered conflict of interest I won't be offended if needs to be removed.

This post was edited by Solaris at May 18, 2015 6:26 PM PDT
    • 132 posts
    May 18, 2015 1:34 AM PDT

They are not going to have classes. This made me shutter for unknown reasons, like a warning from my future self. It could be awesome, I don't know.

I hope it turn out well though :)

• 999 posts
    May 18, 2015 6:58 AM PDT

Tim was the original community manager here on Pantheonrotf.com after the Kickstarter (or at least assumed) - I don't know if any official titles were ever given.  I have checked in on Lucimia a few times and I would definitely give it a test if released; however, as sajbear said, there are too many elements that have been presented like a classless system (which is truly more sandbox) that make me shutter and shy away from backing it.  Doesn't mean that it can't/won't be great though.

I prefer most sandbox elements, but restricted, defined class roles is one non-sandbox element I prefer for group interdependency in an MMO.  Who knows though, if done right, maybe everyone will ultimately adapt to whatever their usual playstyle is anyhow.

• 37 posts
    May 18, 2015 9:53 AM PDT
    I very much prefer set class roles as well. I am not a fan of Guild Wars 2's play all roles design. Not sure how Lucimia is going to implement a classless system. We'll see how it pans out.
    • 318 posts
    May 18, 2015 12:40 PM PDT

Thanks for sharing that Maric. I hadn't heard of the game before. Looks interesting to say the least. One I will keep an eye on as development continues.

• 1778 posts
    May 18, 2015 2:19 PM PDT
    Hey Maric. Yup I backed it too. Too me it seems like 2 different flavors of old school. We all know what Pantheon is doing. What Saga of Lucimia is doing has a little biy more Elder Scrolls/Ultima Online/Asherons Call going on with long adventures reminiscent of PnP AD&D. Like dungeons taking multiple weeks to get through(campaigns). Might not be for everyone.

I think I have room for both. But thats just me.
    • 1434 posts
    May 18, 2015 3:17 PM PDT
    Raidan said:

Tim was the original community manager here on Pantheonrotf.com after the Kickstarter (or at least assumed) - I don't know if any official titles were ever given.  I have checked in on Lucimia a few times and I would definitely give it a test if released; however, as sajbear said, there are too many elements that have been presented like a classless system (which is truly more sandbox) that make me shutter and shy away from backing it.  Doesn't mean that it can't/won't be great though.

I prefer most sandbox elements, but restricted, defined class roles is one non-sandbox element I prefer for group interdependency in an MMO.  Who knows though, if done right, maybe everyone will ultimately adapt to whatever their usual playstyle is anyhow.

The problem I have with classless systems is their implementation.  When you just have a big list of abilities and let people spend points and pick what they want, it never seems to work out very well.  On the other hand, if there is a tree branching out towards every major archetype where you have to work your way down, it balances things out, retains the roles, but ends up pushing people towards a specific class anyway.

A class system must have structure and roles, and you simply can't allow hybrids to be more powerful than pure classes.  When sandbox games, in the name of freedom and being a "true sandbox" (whatever that is) allows players to just pick and choose all their abilities, you end up with 2 or 3 builds that everyone uses, and a clone war.  See Darkfall, see UO, see Mortal Online, et al.

In the end, I believe a class system is just better.  If you really want to make it "sandbox", you can allow a player to change classes and as their new class skills/level goes up, their old level goes down.  There, problem solved.  No "limitations."

• 163 posts
    May 19, 2015 8:14 PM PDT

Looks like a neat project made by a passionate bunch. It sounds and looks like a lot of the features and designs are going to be limited to what's available from the Unity Asset store. Maybe as time goes on they'll get to implement some of their original works too. Worth keeping an eye on.

• 610 posts
    May 20, 2015 4:01 AM PDT

Isnt this the game Monty went to work on when whats her face was running things here...

Seem to remember checking out the fb for this after he had left Pantheon and was surprised to see him working on this

• 63 posts
    May 20, 2015 7:27 AM PDT
    Sevens said:

Isnt this the game Monty went to work on when whats her face was running things here...

Seem to remember checking out the fb for this after he had left Pantheon and was surprised to see him working on this

Sevens I have never worked on this project before, I am not sure where you heard it, but that is false.

• 610 posts
    May 20, 2015 12:21 PM PDT
    Montreseur said:
    Sevens said:

Sevens I have never worked on this project before, I am not sure where you heard it, but that is false.

Ah sorry, my mistake....not trying to sow discord was just me misremembering. Must have been someone else and I got it mixed up.

Once again sorry

• 63 posts
    May 20, 2015 1:15 PM PDT
    Sevens said:
    Montreseur said:
    Sevens said:

Ah sorry, my mistake....not trying to sow discord was just me misremembering. Must have been someone else and I got it mixed up.

Once again sorry

No worries my man; just saw it and wanted to clear it up.

This post was edited by Montreseur at May 21, 2015 3:00 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    May 20, 2015 4:34 PM PDT

Any game that claims to be using EQ1 as its inspiration peaks my interest.  Even if the class system sounds funky, they will probably find a way to make it work if they really want those dungeons "inspired by EQ and MUDs" to be worth exploring.  If nothing else it would be cool to have more games with open world content that takes days or even weeks to conquer.

• 1281 posts
    March 21, 2021 3:21 PM PDT

Looks like we finally know why SoL has been silent the past year. Guess Tim Anderson is no longer associated with the project. You can watch more about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmmsE83mQw

• 223 posts
    September 3, 2021 2:36 AM PDT

Ah so this is that Embers Adrift I keep seeing pop up on the Twitters.

• 303 posts
    February 23, 2022 3:01 AM PST

Seems like Tim Anderson's friends are making hit piece videos on Embers Adrift now

Juicy, juicy drama :P

• 173 posts
    April 12, 2022 5:05 AM PDT

I was getting a lot of social media ads about Embers Adrift. The ads did grab my interest. After doing a little research, Embers Adrift is a HARD PASS for me.

You want a good laugh? https://youtu.be/SAq2He0qtJQ?t=372

• 20 posts
    April 12, 2022 3:15 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

Any game that claims to be using EQ1 as its inspiration peaks my interest.  Even if the class system sounds funky, they will probably find a way to make it work if they really want those dungeons "inspired by EQ and MUDs" to be worth exploring.  If nothing else it would be cool to have more games with open world content that takes days or even weeks to conquer.

i'm being honest, the smugglers dungeon 7-11 in beta is straight up an EQ layout: several campes, grinding exp wiating on named, loot is rare. It's not bad, but teh classes throw me off :P

• 303 posts
    April 15, 2022 3:43 AM PDT

NegativeNRG said:

I was getting a lot of social media ads about Embers Adrift. The ads did grab my interest. After doing a little research, Embers Adrift is a HARD PASS for me.

You want a good laugh? https://youtu.be/SAq2He0qtJQ?t=372

I'd be careful with videos like that. Nathan napalm and the Renfail are friends, they have this podcast thing together i think. Very suspicious conflict of interest, especially considering Renfail is always in the comments of these videos arguing with strangers.

But yea Embers Adrift looks barren, i just don't think thats the point of these videos. Nathan isn't neutral here.