Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon Update: May 2015

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    May 4, 2015 3:24 PM PDT

Pantheon Community,

Chris 'Joppa' Perkins here, Creative Director of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. We are excited to bring you this update and share several important progress points in Pantheon's development. We are intentionally keeping several very exciting things quiet for a short while longer, but for now let's talk about three major milestones: Unity 5, Art and Alpha 1!

UNITY 5

As many of you may know, we have been in the process of converting holistically to the new Unity 5 engine. This has many programming implications and benefits, but what we're most excited about is the visual power of Unity's new engine, specifically by harnessing two very powerful new systems native to Unity 5: physically-based rendering and global illumination. However, these visual benefits aren't applied automatically. We have gone back through all of our existing terrains, foliage and environmental assets to ensure they are all compatible with Unity 5's new lighting and rendering systems.

The good news is that now the conversion to Unity 5 is complete!

ART

But it gets better - I'm pleased to announce that J.P. Targete has recently joined the Visionary Realms team as Art Director! J.P. and I will be working closely together to crystallize the high-level visual identity and style of Pantheon's world and together with John Diasparra (Lead Environment Artist) and Justin Gerhart (Lead Writer), we will all be striving to make sure that visual identity is consistent down to the very details.

Talk is cheap though - let's look at the following 3 images: The first is the initial mockup of Avendyr's Pass inside the Unity 5 game engine:

The second image is a concept art 'paint-over' J.P. did on top of the first image to imbue the art style for the area:

The third image is what happens when John Diasparra takes J.P.'s paint-over and uses it as a reference to finalize the visuals of the scene inside the game engine (this is an in-game screenshot, taken as night begins to fall on Avendyr's Pass):

From start to finish, hopefully this gives you an idea of the power of Unity 5 and the talent of J.P.'s art direction - we can't wait to show you more!

ALPHA 1

While the Art teams are making huge strides, Game Design, Lore and Programming are completely focused on Alpha 1 execution right now and are making great progress. First, let me define what Alpha 1 is:

Simply, Alpha 1 is our first major development goal of 2015: create an enjoyable, feature-complete, level 1 - 10 playing experience for a minimum of 5 unique classes that cover all grouping roles -- Warrior (tank), Cleric (healer), Rogue (physical DPS), Wizard (magical DPS), Enchanter (utility & control).

Alpha 1 is not a public build of the game - it will be internal only. The goal of Alpha 1 is to create a robust testing ground where all of our foundational systems and mechanics are present and testable in the context of actual gameplay. In other words, we can test the pacing of combat in a simulator all day and have beautiful numbers, but until we fight in a full group with players of different classes, level and gear, our results won't be as insightful.

But beyond careful testing, we will be asking more paradigmatic questions like: is the game fun, is it challenging in the right ways, does it feel good to explore, is it exciting to loot a weapon that's a little better than the one you had, is combat paced appropriately, is downtime paced appropriately, does it feel good to fight and slay enemies with a small group/full group -- and the list goes on.

Alpha 1 is the proving ground and primer for Alpha 2, when we will most likely open the doors to the first round of players to experience the game.

More specifically, here are a few things currently being worked on for Alpha 1:

- Alpha 1 zones have been finalized and settled into the art/world building pipelines. Lore & Content documents are being finalized for these zones as well.

- All player-related formulas have received initial scope and balance passes. This means we have carved out the rough idea of the Hitpoints, Armor Class, Mana, Attributes, etc. a level 1 player should have up to what a level 50 player should have. Although this is a very general spread, it will give us the foundation and perspective we need to start balancing our player-related systems.

- With this framework in place, meaningful itemization has begun for level 1 - 10.

- Attributes on weapons and wearables are now meaningful and appropriately effect your character's strength in light of the aforementioned statistical scale.

- Skill & Ability programming/tuning for the five Alpha 1 classes.

- Initial experience gain rate and leveling curve is being tuned.

- The basic layer of NPC AI is being programmed, the foundation for some of our more innovative NPC AI behaviors to be built on top of.

- Our Lead Programmer, Daniel Krenn, has created a combat simulation scene where we can quickly test our general combat formulas, %to hit/miss, critical hit %, weapon speed & delay, etc. and tweak things on the fly to ensure items are balanced and properly progressing in strength.

- Our inventory system has been overhauled and bags are now working!

- Combat sound effects are being finalized and iterated into the engine, important for giving combat the right feel and feedback.

We have much more to share and show coming soon! Thank you for reading and we will see you in Terminus -- onward!

Joppa

This post was edited by Joppa at August 11, 2015 10:13 AM PDT
    • 132 posts
    May 4, 2015 3:34 PM PDT

Awesome!!

This is great news! :D :D

This post was edited by sajbear at May 24, 2015 11:44 AM PDT
    • 25 posts
    May 4, 2015 3:36 PM PDT

Looks great. Cant wait to see more!

• 383 posts
    May 4, 2015 3:51 PM PDT

Thank you for the update! Glad to see progress is being made. After you guys pull the alpha 1 together you should be able to pull a lot more interest to the game.

This post was edited by Niien at May 4, 2015 3:56 PM PDT
    • 50 posts
    May 4, 2015 4:10 PM PDT

great update look forward to seeing more !

• 11 posts
    May 4, 2015 4:14 PM PDT

That is a good update! I'm happy to see that you guys brought JP onboard, looking at his portfolio and the images you provided I think Pantheon is going to have, what I think, is the right balance of fantasy/realism. XD

This post was edited by skeaser at May 4, 2015 4:18 PM PDT
    • 105 posts
    May 4, 2015 4:16 PM PDT

The visuals are looking spectacular. Thanks for the update.

• 378 posts
    May 4, 2015 4:16 PM PDT

Great news guys 

• 67 posts
    May 4, 2015 4:20 PM PDT

The last visual of the complete is fantastic. I can't wait to see this unfold. 

• 83 posts
    May 4, 2015 4:26 PM PDT

awesome!

• 384 posts
    May 4, 2015 4:37 PM PDT
    So nice to get an update! Really reinvigorates my enthusiasm for the game. Can't wait! Thanks!
    • 378 posts
    May 4, 2015 5:12 PM PDT

Any news the team could share pertaining to investment for pantheon ?

is investment still being sourced ?  how is the crowd funding going these day ? do we still need to look for a investor for the game ?   

• 154 posts
    May 4, 2015 5:25 PM PDT

Everything looks fantastic! The team seems to be doing a great job. I am wondering if Alpha 2 will be the same content as Alpha 1 just open to players to hunt for bugs and evaluate play?Also curious if in the Alpha 1 the different color mana's have started being implemented? I imagine that the class choices are still far of but from the way it has been described the mana colors go beyond the class choices and seem to have the option to be accessed at an early level. I imagine that will be a large component of the balancing to come.

Kudos!

• 163 posts
    May 4, 2015 5:30 PM PDT

Congratulations on the update and for expanding the team! All of Jeans fantasy work is beautiful. Looks like you've made milestones and are taking full advantage of the unity engine. Thank you for sharing.

• 154 posts
    May 4, 2015 5:30 PM PDT

Ah one other thing I was thinking. Congratulations to the new hire! Welcome J.P.!

Also, I do wonder if the team is in need of any other specialties going forward? Its great to see the team expanding!

• 318 posts
    May 4, 2015 5:33 PM PDT

Thank you, Joppa, for taking the time to keep us players updated. It all sounds great!

And, hello there J.P. Targete. Welcome to the Pantheon team!

• 2138 posts
    May 4, 2015 5:49 PM PDT

Looks very nice! and thank you for sharing.

• 34 posts
    May 4, 2015 6:38 PM PDT

Excellent work Joppa, and welcome to J.P.! Monty has again outdone himself to bring that vision to life. You guys have definitely been getting some work done behind the scenes and I think its really going to start paying off for you.

As a quick question, is Alpha 1 for the "pre-alpha" testers? I myself have what this site calls the bridge pledge (the KS journeyman pledge) and I'm really eager to start contibuting to the project via testing. Will I be waiting until Alpha 1 or 2?

Keep up the great work and the steady progress.

This post was edited by Faux at May 5, 2015 3:53 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    May 4, 2015 11:20 PM PDT

This looks amazing! Great to see the game world becoming reality!

• 2 posts
    May 5, 2015 6:15 AM PDT

Pictures looks great! Very hyped to see and read more.

This post was edited by Fyyar at May 5, 2015 6:16 AM PDT
  • May 5, 2015 6:43 AM PDT

Welcome J.P.!   I like your perspective and I love what Unity 5 can do with the 'feel' of the game.

To sum up my feelings about the update so far... I just jumped into the financial support of this game and was a little nervous about it.  Now, I feel calm, but excited, again. 

A lot of work accomplished and a lot of work to be accomplished.

The sig says it all. :)    Thanks for the update Joppa.

• 1434 posts
    May 5, 2015 7:47 AM PDT

My desktop was in need of something new and sexy.  That did the trick.

• 308 posts
    May 5, 2015 12:30 PM PDT

thanks for the update, glad to see the game progressing nicely.

• 453 posts
    May 5, 2015 12:53 PM PDT

Thanks Joppa !!! You da man .

• 238 posts
    May 5, 2015 1:57 PM PDT

Sounds great