Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A stickler for names...

• 1019 posts
    December 17, 2019 5:23 AM PST

Zarriya said:For the most part I believe in freedom of speech and expression, and natural consequences.   I would not ban a name unless it was outright offensive to a group or individual. And for that - I would even love a game suspension!   I do hope there will be an in-game report feature to help facilitate it.  Other than that let them have their stupid name - it helps me decide not to include them in my group or at least be prepared  :) .  The natural consequence  of having a poorly named toon with that this type of community is that players will not include him as much.  I have to admit some names give me a good laugh!

Sure, if the game is rated MA.  If the game is rated T then it should have some censorship in naming conventions.

I don't let me 7 year old son play the Witcher seriers for a reason.  (I think we all know the reason)

And I also don't want him grouping with a deviant that names their character (offensive name) .

This post was edited by Kittik at December 17, 2019 5:23 AM PST
    • 1019 posts
    December 17, 2019 5:25 AM PST

Raidan said:

Wandidar said: 

The problem is though, you also don't want your players being frustrated for an hour trying to find something they think is fantasy that ends up already taken, not allowed, etc... 

Random name generator - it's not the best, but I've made several good RPG names from tweaking them a bit. 

Picking a name is one of the hardest things for me to do in an RPG, but, it's a good thing if it takes time - because that means the name is important and that action has meaning.  Even one hour spent creating a character is a drop in the bucket compared to the years you ultimately could play it.  If someone becomes frustrated to the point that they'd quit the game from attempting to name a character, I'd wager that they'd also become frustrated with slow progression and a group focused game.

Yes.

• 220 posts
    December 17, 2019 7:47 PM PST

Could do auto name generator for those with lack of "Imagination"

• 159 posts
    December 17, 2019 10:19 PM PST

AbsoluteTerror said:

As an option to help choose a name? That doesn't stop people who just want to have a silly name.

Or like a forced auto name if you create a name that isn't "good" enough?

• 520 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:23 PM PST

AbsoluteTerror said:

I never had problems with making up names, but I'm all for name generator - especially if it'll be RACE specific (dwarves will always be generated with dwarven sounding name, elf with elvish and so on). It surely will help a lot - many people are unable to come up with a name. I'd also do something to prevent creating inproper names (though I'd also prevent of using 0-9 in names) and even go as far as having someone to check newly created characters for their name and prompt them to change it (with "special privilage' and ability to change it).

• 1714 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:31 PM PST

EQ had an absurdly restrictive name policy. You couldn't be named a title, or even some simple common nouns. General? Nope. Wolverine? Nope. Captain? Nope. Mister? Nope. It was horse ****. 

• 159 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:36 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

EQ had an absurdly restrictive name policy. You couldn't be named a title, or even some simple common nouns. General? Nope. Wolverine? Nope. Captain? Nope. Mister? Nope. It was horse ****. 

Like what if I want to name my character 'Cookie' . Who's to say in a fantasy world someone might not have earned the nickname Cookie? Will that name be banned?

I mean I get not wanting to see TouCanSam or WetWillyBoi but I guess we all draw the line in a different place.

That all being said, I try to choose pretty good and "realistic" names to fit game. I'm just not a fan of restricting players so harshly.

This post was edited by Kass at December 18, 2019 12:14 AM PST
    • 520 posts
    December 18, 2019 1:12 AM PST

Kass said:

Keno Monster said:

Like what if I want to name my character 'Cookie' . Who's to say in a fantasy world someone might not have earned the nickname Cookie? Will that name be banned?

I mean I get not wanting to see TouCanSam or WetWillyBoi but I guess we all draw the line in a different place.

That all being said, I try to choose pretty good and "realistic" names to fit game. I'm just not a fan of restricting players so harshly.

Just go with Kassius Maximus and you won't be hunted down - unless you make an ELF! ;-)

• 2756 posts
    December 18, 2019 2:34 AM PST

People having childish character names (I think that covers all the silly, unimaginative, intentionally offensive, rude offerings - It's all immaturity) annoys me greatly, but I wouldn't want some kind of draconian automated system because they do tend to catch quite sensible stuff quite often.

People should be able to make those names as long as there is a decent reporting system that gets followed up, eventually.  In the meantime I just know to /ignore and/or not group with them.

As for censorship/rating systems, I think it should be independant of that. Having swearing/expletives in a character name is just not needed, whether it's an 'adult' game or not. Yes, there could be a legit 'story' behind why your character is nicknamed something offensive. I don't care. Tell people all about it, but you don't get to put it in a banner above their head. Try aiming less for 'edgy' and 'cool'...

• 39 posts
    December 18, 2019 4:42 AM PST

As long as there are no numbers allowed in names, and a basic profanity/vulgarity filter I could not care less what someone names their character. I've had fun names and I've had "real" names. All of them have a time and a place. Judging a "real" fantasy name is laughable anyway. Tons of the fantasy names we see in books are ridiculous themselves!

I aint even mad when I see names like "Dark Shadow Killer" or "Cloaked Death" because ya know what, 13 year old edge-lords need names too, and the more vibrant the community, the better.

If folks wont party with someone because of a name, you can send "Carebear Warfare" the battle cleric, or "Lem Al-Onade" the wizard on over to my group and when they're face rolling stuff while keeping us all healed up, the last thing I'll be thinking about is the name.

Edit:

Supporting the random generator option as a choice, for when folks just cant be bothered, or are feeling uninspired. Any time a name is FORCED on a player though, count me out.

This post was edited by DakmorKavu at December 18, 2019 4:45 AM PST
    • 159 posts
    December 18, 2019 8:02 PM PST

DakmorKavu said:

As long as there are no numbers allowed in names, and a basic profanity/vulgarity filter I could not care less what someone names their character. I've had fun names and I've had "real" names. All of them have a time and a place. Judging a "real" fantasy name is laughable anyway. Tons of the fantasy names we see in books are ridiculous themselves!

I aint even mad when I see names like "Dark Shadow Killer" or "Cloaked Death" because ya know what, 13 year old edge-lords need names too, and the more vibrant the community, the better.

If folks wont party with someone because of a name, you can send "Carebear Warfare" the battle cleric, or "Lem Al-Onade" the wizard on over to my group and when they're face rolling stuff while keeping us all healed up, the last thing I'll be thinking about is the name.

Edit:

Supporting the random generator option as a choice, for when folks just cant be bothered, or are feeling uninspired. Any time a name is FORCED on a player though, count me out.

I find myself on a very simliar page with you. As others have mentioned, I think profanity should be strictly prohibited in naming.

Now this is some common sense name legislation we can all agree on, right?

• 1584 posts
    December 18, 2019 10:17 PM PST

As i hate seeing dumb names, like Frodokicker, Midgetpunter, Bobbinforgnomes, Ticklemeembers, and such ridiculous names that I've seen over the years, I can say let them have them, if they want to known as a huge part of the community under that name  than let them deal with the drawbacks of having a stupid name, just don't give them the option to name change when they actually want to change it when they actually want to take there name seriously, wasn't the game or communities fault they didn't choose a different name and didn't take it more seriously than they should of. 

This post was edited by Cealtric at December 18, 2019 10:21 PM PST
    • 1399 posts
    December 18, 2019 10:20 PM PST

I haven't read all 4 pages (time for sleep), but I agree with most on the 2 pages I have read.

I also agree to a filter list, but have a question on that. For these filters have they came up with a way for them to distinguish between actual forbidden words and words that fit the list but not used improperly. Seen it happen, don't remember the exact word name so to illiterate I'll make up an example..

"Beanass" could be blocked "be an ass"

"Bassum" good name for say an ogre.gets blocked due to the filter finding "ass"

Maybe a filter system should just flag a name for a Dev/GM to take a look at and approve or reject?

Am I overworking GM's now?

• 370 posts
    December 18, 2019 10:25 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

While EQ's naming system annoyed me sometimes I didn't realize how much I appreciated it until I went to WoW and saw Rogues running around with names like Lolcritu and Warriors with names like Iratank. I'll take the restrictive naming policy any day over that if I have to pick. I'd like to think some sort of middle ground is possible though. 

• 81 posts
    December 19, 2019 3:20 PM PST

I agree 100% with the OP.

There definately should be restrictions on naming.  And those that are blatant violations and blatant attempts at bypassing the restrictions should be renamed and punished.

And I am not sure how I feel about first names being unique.

In a way I kind of don't like the idea of any other player named Kato out there but at the same time if they happen to make a char before me I am stuck either not having the same name I have used since Ultima Online or trying a different server.  ups and downs both for this one.

• 145 posts
    December 19, 2019 4:27 PM PST

while i personally dislike names with profanity in them i have had some silly names i had a druid in wow name shapeshiftin and a hunter named huntinhumans i like names that are humorous or punny lets me know that the person is there to have a good time then again i like names that are in line with the characters race lets me know that the person is passionate about the game so either way is good with me

• 438 posts
    December 19, 2019 4:36 PM PST
    Seems like a lot of folk are upset over stupid names. For me, it’s simple. The person chooses a name. If I think it’s stupid so be it. Doesn’t take away from the game as a whole. Some people may believe Mordecai is a stupid name. Cool story bro. I don’t. I use it. Don’t like it? Tough sh*%.

To touch on someone speaking of having their child play the game... That has NOTHING to do with VR, OR other players if they have a name YOU find dumb and or offensive. YOU are allowing your child to play a game with tons of other people. That’s a YOU issue. No one else’s.

I am not a fan of Legolasss or Gymly. That’s on me tho. Not you or anyone else. If someone wants to choose those generic names let them. As long as it doesn’t break any legal crap I don’t care nor should VR. These are just my opinions.
    • 81 posts
    December 20, 2019 3:48 AM PST

Mordecai said: Seems like a lot of folk are upset over stupid names. For me, it’s simple. The person chooses a name. If I think it’s stupid so be it. Doesn’t take away from the game as a whole. Some people may believe Mordecai is a stupid name. Cool story bro. I don’t. I use it. Don’t like it? Tough sh*%. To touch on someone speaking of having their child play the game... That has NOTHING to do with VR, OR other players if they have a name YOU find dumb and or offensive. YOU are allowing your child to play a game with tons of other people. That’s a YOU issue. No one else’s. I am not a fan of Legolasss or Gymly. That’s on me tho. Not you or anyone else. If someone wants to choose those generic names let them. As long as it doesn’t break any legal crap I don’t care nor should VR. These are just my opinions.

While I appreciate your sentiment, and in general, I agree that people tend to take the whole I dont like it so nobody should have it attitude,  in this particular instance I have to disagree with you.  While I do understand that everyone has differing opinions on what is acceptable and what is not,  names should be one thing Devs should have control over.  If left to the people it is taken way too far as has been seen in just about every mmo out there.  I am very very much against cencorship, but in some instances it is necessary.

If I understand the Devs correctly,  one of the main goals of Pantheon is to bring back the social aspect of MMOs of yesteryear and steer away from the antisocial environments MMOs have become more and more lately.  It is hard to encourage both social gameplay and at the same time allow names like BananaHammock, Yermum, and the like.

I have seen it taken a bit far in the opposite direction as well.  in EQ my cleric was named Djinn.  I had the name for 18 months when out of nowhere a GM changed it on me stating it violated their naming policy.  I fought for 3 weeks and finally got the judgement overturned and had my name reinstated but that, to me, was acceptable because it was borderline and I had to fight for what I felt was the right thing.  As long as there is a bit of discussion allowed to petition perceived injustices,  I am all for it.

• 233 posts
    December 24, 2019 3:58 AM PST

Mordecai said: Seems like a lot of folk are upset over stupid names. For me, it’s simple. The person chooses a name. If I think it’s stupid so be it. Doesn’t take away from the game as a whole. Some people may believe Mordecai is a stupid name. Cool story bro. I don’t. I use it. Don’t like it? Tough sh*%. To touch on someone speaking of having their child play the game... That has NOTHING to do with VR, OR other players if they have a name YOU find dumb and or offensive. YOU are allowing your child to play a game with tons of other people. That’s a YOU issue. No one else’s. I am not a fan of Legolasss or Gymly. That’s on me tho. Not you or anyone else. If someone wants to choose those generic names let them. As long as it doesn’t break any legal crap I don’t care nor should VR. These are just my opinions.

The main point is that the name must be believable as a real name.
    Mordecai is a real name, its fantasy friendly and could exist as a real name in the reality of the game.

Trolldix24/7 for example is not a real name, it would never be a real name in any game or fantasy setting.

Thats the types of names we dont want.

Foolish names give people an exucse to act foolish and i cant stand fools.

• 520 posts
    December 24, 2019 4:44 AM PST

Grimseethe said:

The main point is that the name must be believable as a real name.
    Mordecai is a real name, its fantasy friendly and could exist as a real name in the reality of the game.

Trolldix24/7 for example is not a real name, it would never be a real name in any game or fantasy setting.

Thats the types of names we dont want.

Foolish names give people an exucse to act foolish and i cant stand fools.

Exactly - common sense is the key. I get that some players may fancy roleplaying as no-name underworld thugs, with only nicknames like "Pussycat" or "Shadow" (and it's fine), but "IWillKillYouYourFamilyAndEveryoneThatYouKnow" is hardly a nickname by any standards...