Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Clipping swing timers

• 753 posts
    March 16, 2015 10:18 PM PDT

Ok - simple question here.

Who likes having to work abilities between swings in order to maximize the play of your avatar as opposed to just being able to mash anything, any time.

For me - if swing timers have relevance - I like the idea of having ability use clip timers, causing DPS loss, etc... To me, it makes melee play more of a strategic dance...  But what do the rest of you think?

• 9115 posts
    March 16, 2015 11:16 PM PDT

I think with latency and lag issue this could cause problems for some people, i am not a big fan myself of this style, it borders on a twitch/reaction style game play which forces you to focus on one part of your screen to watch for the timing and can be very frustrating for some players.

I prefer the freedom to click an ability when ever you feel it should be used and free to look around your screen/surroundings/hot bars while the ability/spell is cooling down.

• 610 posts
    March 17, 2015 4:38 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

I think with latency and lag issue this could cause problems for some people, i am not a big fan myself of this style, it borders on a twitch/reaction style game play which forces you to focus on one part of your screen to watch for the timing and can be very frustrating for some players.

I prefer the freedom to click an ability when ever you feel it should be used and free to look around your screen/surroundings/hot bars while the ability/spell is cooling down.

Yeah, have to go with Kilsin on this one...not a bit fan of having to watch my auto attack bar so I only use my skills at the optimal time. Just too min / max feel to it for me. I know with parses and all that stuff being top of the pops is whats cool these days but I would love to be able to take down a mob with out all the extra bull stuffs...just good old fashioned teamwork and not worrying about whos the MVP.

• 91 posts
    March 17, 2015 7:18 AM PDT

Got to admit guys once we start talking math, and mini maxing and such I get lost.  

I will say, if the goal of Pantheon is to create a challenging raid  game and a Character development strength then whatever is chosen needs to fil that niche.

Moving into a combat that is in between  WoW and EQ 1 STRATEGY is going to have to be King so I would think whatever comes with animations and the like needs to fill these niche's

This post was edited by Xanier at March 17, 2015 7:53 AM PDT
    • 753 posts
    March 17, 2015 7:55 AM PDT

I hadn't thought about it in regard to it making combat more twitchy - but I can see the point.  I too want strategic combat.  I wonder if there is a compromise in there somewhere - where perhaps some stronger abilities with longer CD's are only usable between swings, so that using them is a matter of both strategy and timing.

The idea being that perhaps such an ability would be a damage modifier (which would make a between swings use make sense) - so something like "causes your next swing to..." sort of thing.  Having this ability not be spammy, but rather something you want to use in specific situations because of CD concerns.

You could have stuff like :

"Causes your next swing to confuse your oppponent" (so stop runners)

"Causes your next swing to stifle your opponent" (so a silence)

etc...

This post was edited by Wandidar at March 17, 2015 10:47 AM PDT
    • 201 posts
    March 17, 2015 8:11 AM PDT

I side on the no clipping as well.  But am curious.  I know you can be worried about lag, but how much lag are we actually worried about?  I guess it depends on server locations, but in this day and age, I can get a ping of under 200ms on EU servers and under 100ms on USA servers.  That being said if something had a 1 second reaction timer, I don't think anyone besides players from the opposite side of the world from the server, having issues.