Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Class Design in Pantheon with Q&A

• 118 posts
    March 18, 2015 10:00 AM PDT

I highly recommend taking a look at Tales of Maj'Eyl for an example of a multi-resource system that was well conceived and implemented.  http://te4.org/wiki/Resources

• 1778 posts
    March 19, 2015 12:05 PM PDT
    As a loot whore I am really on board with all the gear swaping this system could bring. I said it elsewhere but it also lends itself heavily with horizontal progression. Especially when you add in mana specific armor for each envirinment type per class. I like these kind of systems a lot. Couple this with a rare drop rate and you could be perfecting your gear and spell sets for years. Instead of this BS every 3 months your gear being obsolete in todays MMOs. Thats a bigbplus IMHO.
    • 52 posts
    March 19, 2015 11:59 PM PDT

I really don't know what to think about this whole focus/mastery idea and I am pretty confused about it quite honestly. On one hand it feels like it is just a fancy way of acquiring rare spells. On the other hand it feels like yet another system of having to choose a specific path for your class of which the majority absolutely despises... especially the ones in hopes of a more classic EQ class system like me. I have listened to the recent podcast several times now and I am still no clearer on it than the first time. So maybe one of the Devs or you guys can clarify this for me...

So at level 25 we obtain the Devout focus. If I understand this right the Devout focus is basically just an enhancement of your current spellset. I will use the cleric as an example since this is the one we know the most about. Lets say at level 25 I have a few different heal spells. Comparing to EQ lets say I have minor healing, healing, and greater healing as well as a basic hp buff, a greater hp buff that requires a reagent, and an ac buff. Are you saying at level 25 I will gain an AoE heal, a HoT, and a group heal as well as an extra hp or ac buff that uses a different type of mana? Then at level 50 I unlock the Resolute focus. Rather than being an extension or enhancement to my current spells this ability will allow me to acquire a new set of spells/abilities such as the bubble shields and some sort of ability or spell that allows me to CC or offtank as well as DPS using yet another type of mana?

Now here is where my concerns come in. It already feels like now I am going to have to choose what type of cleric I want to be or else I will not be as effective in certain situations. So I am going to have to devote myself to being a Devout cleric or a Resolute cleric and not just a Cleric. I understand the desire the Dev team has for a unique class system yet just like every other recent MMO I feel like I am going to be forced to decide which type of cleric I want to be. I know they are saying that each class will still take on the sole role of that class but let me give you a scenario. I am invited to a group to kill a boss that has a nasty AoE DoT which requires heavy healing such as AoE heals and HoTs to be able to beat it. But I have put my focus into being a Resolute cleric. So I send the group a tell ''Sorry guys I am a Resolute cleric so I wont be much use.'' Why can't these spells and abilities all be rolled into one? Why do I need to have all these mana types? Why cant my Devout and Resolute spells and abilities just be hard to obtain spells in the form of rare drops from solo, group, and raid content as well as difficult quests? If the whole idea of each class is to make sure they are defined then why is there a need for these different types of focus requiring us to acquire items for 3 different types of mana which makes us feel like we are having to choose a particular specialization? I am sure that most people, including me, would rather see each class have 1 type of mana to focus on. I love the ideas for the cleric with the bubble shields and such. But do these unique abilities really have to be divided into specializations?(I know it is being called Focus or Stance and not specialization but lets be honest about it.. it is specialization)

If I am inaccurate in my understanding of this then please correct me. The thing about Pantheon that sucked me in was that classes were going to be more EQ like and simplistic without all the spec trees and the game was going to be group oriented and slowed down to create an amazing community. After listening to this podcast it is really disheartening to hear the direction that classes are taking. It was like taking a shot right in the solar plexus. I really hope this is reconsidered and the classes will return to what we all loved. I would love to see something like Ancient Spells or even make one of these unique abilities the effect of their Epic Weapon or even give each class an Epic spell as well as Epic weapon. But I am really turned off by the specializations.

This post was edited by Xaleban at March 20, 2015 12:08 AM PDT
    • 118 posts
    March 20, 2015 10:45 PM PDT

Xaleban.  Does it make any difference to you that these choices are not mutually exclusive?  That is fundamentally different from the idea of specialization, which implies mutual exclusion.