Forums » General Guild Discussion

Guild Discussion

• 531 posts
    February 24, 2016 8:38 PM PST

Cromulent said:

Another thing I'd like to see as a guild leader is worldwide guild invites. I got fed up in other games (and I'm sure my officers did as well) of having to run half way across the world just to invite a new member. It basically meant I had to give up my play time in order to just invite someone to the guild. Or the alternative was that new members had to run to me which meant that people were much less likely to actually do it. Sometimes it took days to find a time when we were both free to do the invite because everyone was in a group and didn't want to leave just to invite someone new to the guild.

Yeah, we saw this a lot with the two new servers in EQ. If you were not in the guild leader's hometown it may have been a week before you got an invite to the actual guild. This is one of the "oldschool" mechanics that were put in not because of any need or want to do it that way but due to coding limitations at the time. It is one of the things that a newer MMO of any type really shouldn't have to do. These mechanics that serve no positive function and only cause grief are ones I am perfectly OK doing away with.

• 8586 posts
    February 24, 2016 9:03 PM PST

Cromulent said:

Another thing I'd like to see as a guild leader is worldwide guild invites. I got fed up in other games (and I'm sure my officers did as well) of having to run half way across the world just to invite a new member. It basically meant I had to give up my play time in order to just invite someone to the guild. Or the alternative was that new members had to run to me which meant that people were much less likely to actually do it. Sometimes it took days to find a time when we were both free to do the invite because everyone was in a group and didn't want to leave just to invite someone new to the guild.

Yeah, they are very nice, we had those in VG too, invite anyone anywhere at any time, after talking to them and having them fill out the recruitment section ;)

• 37 posts
    February 26, 2016 3:01 AM PST

I would like to see an automatic guild log that logs guild events like the system Rift has. I would also like to see a "wall" system, again like Rift has, that can be written to and keeps a rolling history. Both of these features are very handy.

• 8 posts
    March 14, 2016 7:53 PM PDT

I would personally like to see some kind of alliance system so you can still have you small guild feel with close friends and family and team up with a few other family style guilds or tap into the resources of a large one, to ask questions, find groups , do raids, and to seek out new people you might not ever group with that arnt in your direct guild

• 1541 posts
    March 15, 2016 9:31 PM PDT

Kodiack54 said:

I would personally like to see some kind of alliance system so you can still have you small guild feel with close friends and family and team up with a few other family style guilds or tap into the resources of a large one, to ask questions, find groups , do raids, and to seek out new people you might not ever group with that arnt in your direct guild

Sounds like a good idea. But if you have an alliance system you have to have a war system as well. I love the idea of doing a guild war with your closet competitors and have real races for mobs with some PvP built in as well. That would add so much more to the game as PvP is unpredicatable and quite fun when you really get into it.

• 701 posts
    March 16, 2016 3:37 PM PDT

Guild perks should grow as the guild itself grows, or meets certain milestones.

A guild calander, or mana fount should come with pristige.

• 87 posts
    April 30, 2016 1:23 AM PDT

In game guild tools should be simple and too the point since most of the guild organization happens on guild websites and voice chat. I did read someone suggested a DKP system in game and that might be a useful tool so once players enter a raid zone with their guild they can automatically get a pre determined amount of points but some DKP systems can get complicated so it might not be a viable option.

Also allowing for Multiple guild leaders who can use the guild tools within the game is a great idea.

• 14 posts
    May 12, 2016 4:59 AM PDT

Great list of Guild abilities and functions.

I'd like to see the ability to message the entire guild thru an in-game mail system, if a mail system is implemented.

A second Guild Lead officer position or an XO position as an option would be useful, and the transfer of leadership should be as simple and straightforward as possible, i.e. no penalty to the guild when they need to change leadership.

This post was edited by Altha at May 12, 2016 5:00 AM PDT
    • 820 posts
    May 12, 2016 5:03 AM PDT

Great discussion.

There are three things I would like to add, if I may.

As a Guild leader in Lotro, and an officer in both EQ and EQ2, I've found both pros and cons with how those respective games managed guilds.

Guild Houses - I love these. And I hate these. I love these because the idea if just so damn cool. You work together as a guild to collect materials and gold, you put time in, you create something tangible that all within the guild can use. You can customize them to fit to the theme of your guild. It's great.

I hate these because so far there has hardly been any game that has made them actually worth the effort. EQ2 got close, but made it too easy to get one. Vanguard got less close, but the cost and time needed to make one was great.

The trick is having a place that your guild can go to, that they WANT to go to, and that has certain benefits and perks to it WITHOUT dividing the playerbase. As in, EQ2 you could place vendors, menders, brokers, crafting stations, etc - everything you need. You never have to actually visit town again once you have these features in your guild hall. That's no good. But take those away, and wuddya got? A time sink. Something you just spent money on but don't actually use. I feel like this is a completely separate post, so I'll stop there.

Rank Names - I know you already touched on this, Kilsin. It's on your list. What I personally would like to see is the ability for the guild leader to customize those names. We already create a name for the guild, why would we not want to create the rank names to fit with the general theme of the guilds name?

An evil based guild, for example, could change the name of the Officer rank to Inquisitor.

This is purely fluff, I admit, but it adds a nice touch to making a guild your own. In EQ and EQ2, my role as an office was "Chief Mentor". As others have said, joining a guild in EQ was a big deal. You had sponsors/mentors, and trial periods, and all that fun stuff. It would be nice if in Pantheon you could create your own ranks.

Emblems - I believe in EQ2 you could pick from a set of pre-drawn symbols or emblems to represent your guild. In mine, Knights of Reverence, we picked a Knights Helmet, which we could then toggle on/off to show on our cloaks. It was a nice little bit of customization, and a way to proudly show off your guild. In Lotro, I led the Retainers of Dol Amroth (Lord of the Rings nerds, perk up), and we'd all wear the White on Blue "Swan Cloak" when doing guild events.

In Aion, depiste it's many many faults, I think you could even draw your own symbols. Frankly, I think that's too much, and a quick way of giving d-bags permission to draw rated-r body parts and plaster them on their cloaks, but the idea behind it was nice.

-------

Like most, I'm against having guild levels and experience and buffs and all that. What I WOULD like, are nice little features that enable guilds to become more personalized and makes them stand out from the rest in more ways than one.

• 25 posts
    May 12, 2016 5:20 AM PDT

Awesome idea's :).

I like to add an idea as well.

Flagged/Keys:
    It would be a great asset if it is possible to see who is flagged(keys) for what content/zone in de Guild menu.
    Back in the EQ time we kept it on a website in a table so officers could see who are flagged(keys) for what content/zone.
    Also your self can check if you are flagged now for content, instead of just trying :) (or not knowing for sure)

• 360 posts
    May 12, 2016 8:15 AM PDT

I have (edit) three very simple questions.. my apologies in advance if they've been answered before :)

i) How many people will it take to actually form a guild ingame? If you give me the stereotypical '5' just because everyone else said '5' as well and we can't be bothered, might i ask why not 4? Or 3?

ii) How soon/at what a level may a guild be formed?

iii) Will the monetary cost to form a guild be substantial, symbolic (aka might as well be peanuts) or non-existing?

This post was edited by Aenra at May 12, 2016 8:18 AM PDT
    • 501 posts
    May 12, 2016 10:39 AM PDT

Aenra said:

I have (edit) three very simple questions.. my apologies in advance if they've been answered before :)

i) How many people will it take to actually form a guild ingame? If you give me the stereotypical '5' just because everyone else said '5' as well and we can't be bothered, might i ask why not 4? Or 3?

ii) How soon/at what a level may a guild be formed?

iii) Will the monetary cost to form a guild be substantial, symbolic (aka might as well be peanuts) or non-existing?

They have not been answered before Aenra :)

• 2013 posts
    May 12, 2016 10:59 AM PDT

I like this thread, has a lot of solid ideas. I will say I am not really that concerned with the multiple Guilds thing, but thats probably to be understood as I come from a FFXI background. That being said I understand some of the issues that come up with that, so its not a make or break issue for sure. However, I would like some type of organized group thats more than a friends list but maybe less than a Guild. FFXI had Linkshells instead of guilds and the endgame community policed itself. So yes it was frowned on to have more than one endgame guild, but people usually had several social/other guilds. And very often endgame guilds had social counterpart guilds or "Orientation" type guilds where the Vets got to know the newbies a bit before that upgraded them to full member status. So I would love to have something like this.

My primary reason is I dont want to join a social guild early on and later on want to do endgame activities and have to leave my guild because of a 1 guild rule. As Im sure many of you know, over a year or more, guild members can become very close, so I wouldnt want to ditch them just because I want epic adventure. You could fall in early on with a great group of people, only to discover later on that all they really want is more casual gaming or leveling Alts. And this is precisely what did happen to me in FFXI. I was with a guild for about 3 years and when I was ready to do endgame, no one else really wanted too (about 40 members). Luckily I didnt have to ditch them to do endgame. I just kept them as a social guild and joined an endgame guild that was recruiting. Eventually over time the endgame guild  also became my primary social guild too. But I never quit the other guild  and still would hang out with them and help with things from time to time as well.

So either have a guild specify its purpose endgame, social, everything, etc. Or have the 1 Guild rule, but allow for smaller organizations like a Fellowship or Club.

• 466 posts
    May 12, 2016 11:11 AM PDT

I never cared about guild levels or anything like that until EQ2 introduced guild halls and it all changed.  Granted the guild levels did nothing to affect game play it was purely cosmetic and for bragging rights.  But our guild strived to kill those raid mobs that dropped a guild hall trophy.  We strived to get max level so we could buy that awesome keep and we strived to save tens of thousands of plat buying furniture and decorations for it.  We had randoms zoning in all day to look at how hard we worked to set it up. not to mention kept a small army of craftsman busy for months.  

When done right guild levels can be the next step a great guild strives for.  It doesnt have to be any great reward but it is a good little addon that gives players another thing to strive for.  EQ2 also had Norrtheon homes every month the website would go and tour some of the best guild halls and houses and show screenshots ina newsletter.  

• 360 posts
    May 12, 2016 11:32 AM PDT

Zarriya said:

They have not been answered before Aenra :)

I wasn't on my phone, lol, i swear!!! ^^

And thanks :)

• 377 posts
    May 12, 2016 4:58 PM PDT

I think we should have more than the standard Guild choice. Along with a guild, which would have to have say 20 members to form, and could have up to 250 members, maybe we could have a second way to go. A fellowship, ( which Amsai mentioned earlier ) which would only say be allowed 25 people and take 3 people to form. The fellowship would get a basic set of guild tools, faction would be assigned to the fellowship as a whole as they share the same interests, some which may be a secret to others. The fellowship would be an adventurers guild and would provide some small benefits to that end. Maybe faster run speed in a group, or a group invis that will not break, or something along those lines if most of the people in the group are from the same fellowship. For some people the huge guild is too suffocating. Some may wish to play for discovery and adventure and have little attraction to constant raiding. Guilds and Fellowships could ally at will. Something to chew on , or chew up :)

Sky

This post was edited by Skycaster at May 12, 2016 5:01 PM PDT
    • 762 posts
    May 12, 2016 7:27 PM PDT

Haseno said:

Multiple guilds was horrible. I despised it in Elder Scrolls Online. So much in-fact, it was one of my main reasons for leaving.

I agree, never liked the idea myself.

Other note, everything EQ had with improvements on the guild structure was pretty much ok for the majority of players.

• 1810 posts
    May 12, 2016 11:11 PM PDT

What tools are in place to regulate stealing from guild bank ?  How will items be replaced or will they ?  Just curious

• 820 posts
    May 13, 2016 4:26 AM PDT

Amsai said:

I like this thread, has a lot of solid ideas. I will say I am not really that concerned with the multiple Guilds thing, but thats probably to be understood as I come from a FFXI background. That being said I understand some of the issues that come up with that, so its not a make or break issue for sure. However, I would like some type of organized group thats more than a friends list but maybe less than a Guild. FFXI had Linkshells instead of guilds and the endgame community policed itself. So yes it was frowned on to have more than one endgame guild, but people usually had several social/other guilds. And very often endgame guilds had social counterpart guilds or "Orientation" type guilds where the Vets got to know the newbies a bit before that upgraded them to full member status. So I would love to have something like this.

My primary reason is I dont want to join a social guild early on and later on want to do endgame activities and have to leave my guild because of a 1 guild rule. As Im sure many of you know, over a year or more, guild members can become very close, so I wouldnt want to ditch them just because I want epic adventure. You could fall in early on with a great group of people, only to discover later on that all they really want is more casual gaming or leveling Alts. And this is precisely what did happen to me in FFXI. I was with a guild for about 3 years and when I was ready to do endgame, no one else really wanted too (about 40 members). Luckily I didnt have to ditch them to do endgame. I just kept them as a social guild and joined an endgame guild that was recruiting. Eventually over time the endgame guild  also became my primary social guild too. But I never quit the other guild  and still would hang out with them and help with things from time to time as well.

So either have a guild specify its purpose endgame, social, everything, etc. Or have the 1 Guild rule, but allow for smaller organizations like a Fellowship or Club.

Interesting perspective. While I agree with your premise here, I've also rarely ran into a guild that didn't make their purpose clear, whether it be a social family guild, or an end-game guild.

I believe I read somewhere that we could create our own chat channels, which somewhat solves this problem. Guilds have traditionally been known to create "sister" guilds, one that focuses on raiding, and the other for those not interested in end-game. Those two guilds could easily be linked by everyone in both joining a pre-made chat channel. That enables folks to stay in contact with their friends without giving people the option of joining multiple guilds with one character.

• 2013 posts
    May 13, 2016 8:06 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

Amsai said:

Interesting perspective. While I agree with your premise here, I've also rarely ran into a guild that didn't make their purpose clear, whether it be a social family guild, or an end-game guild.

I believe I read somewhere that we could create our own chat channels, which somewhat solves this problem. Guilds have traditionally been known to create "sister" guilds, one that focuses on raiding, and the other for those not interested in end-game. Those two guilds could easily be linked by everyone in both joining a pre-made chat channel. That enables folks to stay in contact with their friends without giving people the option of joining multiple guilds with one character.

Just for clarity. I didnt mean guilds cant or dont make there purpose known. Its more along the lines of sometimes they dont or you run into situations where that isnt the reason you join. Like the situation in my case. Or your best buddy wants you to join his guild but you have completely different in game objectives. Chat channels are fine too. It would just add that little extra benefit if it had a bit more structure like a guild. But Id be good with private chat channels you can name and the ability to invite or dismiss people from.

• 9 posts
    May 14, 2016 2:41 AM PDT

I definitely like a lot of the info I see here. A couple things I'd like to give my 2 cp on:

1. I'm not real keen on the "application in game' idea. I'm part of a multi-game community where we have 3-4 different guilds going at the same time in various games. Our application process is uniform across all guilds. So to limit the stress on our officers, the application would need to be via the website to keep everything consistent.
    2. Same thing goes for in game voice chat. We have a TeamSpeak server, and one of our core requirements is that you be on the TeamSpeak server when you're in game. This is to promote a sense of community, as well as to be used as a tool for organization.
    3. I like the idea of being able to give very detailed info about your guild on the guild find tool. However, I would like to see the ability to make all officers visible, not just the recruiters. All officers should be able to answer questions about their guild's recruitment process, and give specific information about their guild.
    4. I definitely agree that the following items included in the guild description:
      1. RP, PvP, PvE or all 3
      2. Time zone the guild is based in
      3. Recurring event dates and times
      4. If the guild has an application process or not
      5. Ability to list the guild's website - maybe even an actual link that can be clicked on and open a browser window (as long as it won't crash the game)=
      6. Guild's faction (if applicable)
    5. Separate crafting bank, or make it to where crafting mats don't count towards the total space available. There always seems to be an obscene amount of crafting mats in MMOs and the guilds
      1. I've been in have always struggled to be able to have enough space to offer guild members upgrade items or mats.
    6. If there is a guild calendar, please please please please include the ability to log who attended the event, and for how long.
      1. As my guild's Activity Officer for the past 2 yrs, I have run into more issues with officers not doing a good job of reporting event attendance.
    7. IN-GAME guild ranking system (but not like the failure that is ESOs leaderboards) - Guild based, not player based.
      1. The community I belong to is highly competitive and strives for server firsts, and being one of the best guilds on the server. The ability to show off where you rank against other guilds of your faction is awesome.
    8. Separate officer/leadership channels, with the ability to invite people from outside the guild to join the channel via some sort of password/passcode.
    9. Ability for officers to be able to mute or otherwise place in "time out" (be it via chat, or voice comms) members who start causing drama, or attempt to incite division during an event, or in general guild communication channels.
    10. Ability to donate funds/materials to your guild on a recurring basis.
    11. Ability to set up quasi-permanent cross-guild general chat channels - Guild A and Guild B have formed a raiding alliance because neither guild is big enough to consistently fill raids. Give them the ability to make a "general chat channel" that members can set to automatically join upon login where members of both guilds can socialize, and speak to one another. (these channels could dissolve if the cross-guild alliance were abandoned)
    12. Ability for guilds to declare war against each other (this was amazingly fun on PvP servers in EQ).
    13. Guild insignia that can be worn on your armor (IMO guild tabards are ugly, and I can't stand them) :)
    14. Ability to broadcast a guild-wide message with alert sound (for spontaneous guild events such as the spawning of an open-world boss, or guild rallying cry).
    15. Guild halls!!
    16. Ability for officers to change the guild leader via voting majority. On a couple of occasions I've been in a situation where the guild leader disappeared, or met with unfortunate circumstances and was not able to (or did not) turn over guild leadership. This caused the demise of the guild on more than one occasion.
    17. Ability to have a sort of in-game RSS feed that showcased new posts or topics on the guild's forums. This is especially helpful when someone posts an application, for people to be able to welcome them to the guild/community.
    18. AFK check and CC break notification that is broadcast to the raid (nothing like a good public shaming to make you tell the raid leader when you're going AFK; or make sure you listen to the CC'ers in your raids).

Things I most definitely do not want to see:

1. Ability to join multiple guilds - For the love of God if I see this in another game after being subjected to this travesty in ESO; I'll put the game right back on the shelf!
    2. Guild stores
    3. Ability to appear offline to guild officers
    4. Guild perk system - i.e. leveling your guild etc.
    5. Colored name tags - this is a nightmare for people who are colorblind or have other visual impairments
    6. DKP System - there are just too many different kinds of systems out there to be able to accommodate them all. If you only support some of them, you risk alienating people or having them start screaming about forcing them to play a certain way.
    7. Account based guild membership (my hubby both game. We typically have a set of characters that we play only with each other. It pisses me off to no end to not be able to go hide on a character I can play with him without people knowing I'm online).
    8. Dungeon Finder, Group Finder, Raid Finder - no no no no no!!

This post was edited by Anaksuun at May 14, 2016 3:11 AM PDT
    • 295 posts
    May 14, 2016 9:41 AM PDT

Anaksuun said:

Things I most definitely do not want to see:

1. Ability to join multiple guilds - For the love of God if I see this in another game after being subjected to this travesty in ESO; I'll put the game right back on the shelf!
    2. Guild stores
    3. Ability to appear offline to guild officers
    4. Guild perk system - i.e. leveling your guild etc.
    5. Colored name tags - this is a nightmare for people who are colorblind or have other visual impairments
    6. DKP System - there are just too many different kinds of systems out there to be able to accommodate them all. If you only support some of them, you risk alienating people or having them start screaming about forcing them to play a certain way.
    7. Account based guild membership (my hubby both game. We typically have a set of characters that we play only with each other. It pisses me off to no end to not be able to go hide on a character I can play with him without people knowing I'm online).
    8. Dungeon Finder, Group Finder, Raid Finder - no no no no no!!

Hi,

I think I misunderstand your meaning of the two highlighted suggestions as I interpret to be conflicting with each other. Can you please clarify? I *think* I know what you mean but I do not want to assume.

Thanks

• 701 posts
    May 17, 2016 10:47 PM PDT

I agree with many things, but you should only be able to tag someone, unless they are face to face.

How often do you join a guild..?  More importantly, why should a role playing game circumvent the actual meeting & acceptance into One's Guild...? If a person is too diffficult to invite, perhaps they aren't worth your Guild's time..?

• 1014 posts
    May 23, 2016 9:51 AM PDT

Haseno said:

Multiple guilds was horrible. I despised it in Elder Scrolls Online. So much in-fact, it was one of my main reasons for leaving.

I hear you on that.  It's a concept of the crazy idea of flexible playing environment.  MOBA games have fostered this bigtime.  All it does is create major problems for groups that are trying to create guild and all the goes with it.  So far on every game I have been on that does this I have left.  No loyalty and rife with players that pretty much do not want to work at being a guild.

Ox

• 2013 posts
    May 23, 2016 11:03 AM PDT
    @ Ox

I hope I didnt give the idea that I dont want guilds to matter or that I dont like the idea of guild loyalty and guilds working together to common unified goals. Because I think its essential. However I still would like a way to be able to join groups or at least a group a little less seriously. Specifically for the reasons I cited before. I dont want to have to abandon people because my goals differ or change over time in game. Nor do I like the idea of being obligated to choose a group of folks based on their in game goals only. It makes it complicated issue to me.

I could see how people coming over with a guild they have played with for years this would not be an issue though. Afterall you likely wouldnt be with them still if you didnt like them and your goals didnt line up.

In the mean time Ill be lucky if I bring over my brother and 1 old guildie fron XI. I also plan to get heavy into endgame activities and raiding but possibly not on my first character. Because I might progeny to Bard so no point gettibg involved in endgame at that point. But that doesnt mean I dont want a home (read Guild). I dont want to be homeless but dont want to join the "wrong " guild.

Thoughts