Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Web based API/Guild Management

• 201 posts
    March 4, 2015 7:22 AM PST

I know this would probably be last on VRi's list of things to do.  But back in the day when everyone thought SWTOR would possibly be up to par to SWG.  Guilds played a huge role.  I spent hours recruiting and Bioware made a very nice guild interface on their website for you to start and maintain a roster.  There has also been a lot of user created sites for guild management as well when ESO was pre-release.

So I think the question is, would we like to see something like this pre-post release to view some in-game information while were at work?

• 9115 posts
    March 4, 2015 7:27 AM PST

This was similar to one of the question the team asked the community in relation to an App that would allow you to log in away from the PC to check guild/friend chat, Lore logs, last quest/experience in game, interact with guild/friends/character etc. ;)

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1707/pantheon-team-questions-for-th

We have not discussed a web based guild system but it would be interesting to hear everyones thoughts on the subject.

• 366 posts
    March 4, 2015 7:56 AM PST

Khay and I maintain our own website and even did during our SWTOR launch.  We just like our site better because there is so much more we can do with it. I would rather development be focused on other activities.

The one thing that SWTOR did that was absolutely amazing guild wise - was that they let us register up our guilds ahead of time so that when launch came - we were all guaranteed to be on the same server. 

This post was edited by Zarriya at March 6, 2015 12:12 PM PST
    • 201 posts
    March 4, 2015 8:18 AM PST
    Zarriya said:

Khay and I maintain our own website and even did during our SWTOR launch.  We just like our site better because there is so much more we can do with it. I would rather development be focused on other activities.

The one thing that SWTOR did that was absolutely amazing guild wise - was that they let us register up our guilds ahead of time so that when launch came - we were all guaranteed to be on the same server. 

SWTOR did a great job of getting guilds ready for launch, reserving names, servers, etc etc.  I liked it a lot.  It was also a great recruitment tool and many players spend their time on the official site.

On the side of Development,  not that it's super easy to setup,  but it wouldn't be very time consuming I would think.  Granted I agree, I want to see focus on the game, but if the game is database driven, it wouldn't be hard to migrate data to web form.  Also many web suites already have features that could easily tie into this. IE: SWTOR uses a very modified version of Xenforo.

• 201 posts
    March 4, 2015 8:23 AM PST
    Kilsin said:

This was similar to one of the question the team asked the community in relation to an App that would allow you to log in away from the PC to check guild/friend chat, Lore logs, last quest/experience in game, interact with guild/friends/character etc. ;)

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1707/pantheon-team-questions-for-th

We have not discussed a web based guild system but it would be interesting to hear everyones thoughts on the subject.

Sorry, not really sure how to double quote on this forum.

I think it's two different objectives.  IE: There is Game interaction, similar to WoW's Armory or original EQ IM Program.  Where you can interact with your game/guild outside of the game.  Which I would love to see as well.  And theres what like i said SWTOR did pre-launch with their guild prep.  I know it's very , very early.  But love preparing for a launch of a game, no matter how far away it is.  SWTOR's tool allowed me to kinda prepare the guild, showed player interest, and showed that we actually owned the name and what server we had been planned for.  

• 308 posts
    March 4, 2015 8:26 AM PST

I think it's a great idea, i know i keep going back to it but (i just love so many of the features) to Camelot Unchained.  They are using web based API for chat and other things and even though they just started true alpha, you can log into the chat system from their website.   Would love to have that ability. 

• 133 posts
    March 4, 2015 12:47 PM PST
    Reht said:

I think it's a great idea, i know i keep going back to it but (i just love so many of the features) to Camelot Unchained.  They are using web based API for chat and other things and even though they just started true alpha, you can log into the chat system from their website.   Would love to have that ability. 

I think you have hit the nail on the head, maybe VRI just have the API(s) and allow them to be used.  Then they spend little time supporting the rest of the show, and let other sites, or keen web guys/gals to do the rest.

Only issue I have is general server chat should be for in game players only, however having guild chat available for members not logged in would certainly be cool.  As wel have player characterf info be an outside API, so it can be used to sites. 

• 201 posts
    March 5, 2015 6:52 AM PST

Well that's where you could link the forum account to the game account.  So really it would be no different for the average player.  Make it so they have to be X level to chat and we'll avoid spammers.

On the leg of the API,  I know VRI isn't going to want to develop a Item database, but it would certainly be neat to have the API for us web developers to possibly do our own thing.