Forums » News and Announcements

Introducing: The Dwarves of Khadassa

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    February 23, 2015 5:32 PM PST

The Dwarves of Khadassa

www.thekeepersvault.com/the-dwarves

Robust and enduring champions of combat and mysticism, the Dwarves of Khadassa are fiercely loyal to their king.

Few races can so intimately trace history back to the moment of their creation. Yet, so few gods were like Khazas of Oldassa and so few races show the fealty of his Dwarves. For a lone celestial to bring forth a new race is not unheard of; even among those now on Terminus, such ancestry exists in some number. But no other creation has remained so united with their creator as the Dwarves are to their king. And no other celestial has so stewarded their creation as he, forsaking even his own immortality to lead them.

But there existed an old, great rift in the Triumvirate of Three, the ruling Pantheon of the Dwarves. Rhazik (called ‘the Rageful’) longed to vye against Khazas, though order was ever preserved under the care of Lock, Ehn and Hammur. These three were endowed with neutrality and upheld the Edict of Balance, which forbade any contest within the Pantheon, neither good destroying evil or evil destroying good. Under this decree, Khazas forged the Dwarves and blessed them with much of his own character, fashioning their frames with deep strength and their minds with keen perception.

-- -- --

“In the very beginning, it was Khazas who brought together what the Dwarves call The Balanced Pair. This would become the seed of the Dwarven people.

In one hand, he held a fragment of stone from the heart of Coldark Peak, the mountain he himself shaped to be the throne of the Triumvirate. In the other hand, he held a shard of the Ice of Ry’Fel, which she gave joyfully to him, willing him to add its life to the Dwarven people. Lock, Ehn and Hammur were all present, giving their approval. With perfect balance and pressure, Khazas pressed Coldark’s fragment against the Ice of Ry’Fel until the resonance and power created by the fusion shook Oldassa’s oldest foundations. Then in a moment, the first Dwarves opened their eyes to see the Dwarven Father.

’My children.’

Of all the Pantheon, only Khazas lingered there with them. He stayed with the Dwarves for many days - teaching them to care for themselves, warning them of Oldassa’s Deep Winters and speaking freely with them.”

-- -- --

Thus, throughout Oldassa the Dwarves flourished and there were no rivals alongside them. But Rhazik’s jealousy attended their every triumph like a shadow, ever frustrated when seeking to twist them against Khazas, and his hate aged unquenchable.

Of the many new inhabitants on Terminus, it is believed the Dwarves were the first to arrive during the Age of Isolation. They quickly established a foothold in the southern tundra, naming the area Khadassa, meaning "Khazas’ Reach". In the same manner he had originally formed the Dwarves, Khazas taught them how to perfectly fuse ice and stone, creating a peerless material in strength and beauty known as Coldark Steel - unbreakable, yet able to be cut thin enough to wear as fabric. With it they built their magnificent Oldassan Citadel in the heart of Khadassa. From that beacon their legacy as champions, mystics, artisans, story-tellers and unfailing companions has flourished, unabated by the storms of change that roll across the planet. Yet, there dwells a hidden terror in their story, one whom even Khazas himself would not dare approach...

This post was edited by Joppa at September 9, 2015 2:54 AM PDT
    • 83 posts
    February 23, 2015 9:08 PM PST

Oh sweet mercy, you really gonna make it tough to play anything but dwarves arent you? ^_^

• 132 posts
    February 23, 2015 11:03 PM PST

Nice! ^^

• 9 posts
    February 24, 2015 4:42 AM PST

Very nice!

• 724 posts
    February 24, 2015 5:57 AM PST

I like this. Hoping to hear more of the dwarves, and other races soon!

• 671 posts
    February 24, 2015 8:07 AM PST

Awesome.... if you have read any of the Keeper's Lore.

Similar to the Coldain Dwarves in EQ. Which obviously where only a faction and not a playable race. But the concept of ancient dwarven empire deep within vast frozen wastes...  is ultra compelling. The lore sound incredible... 

• 753 posts
    February 24, 2015 9:10 AM PST

Very cool.  Looking forward to seeing more of these over the next bunch of months!

• 595 posts
    February 24, 2015 2:08 PM PST

Amazing stuff here.  I can't wait to get more about the other races of Terminus.  Keep'em comin guys!

• 12 posts
    February 24, 2015 2:40 PM PST

I find the concept art beautifully refreshing.  I usually avoid dwarves because they seem to wind up looking like misshapen caricatures of themselves.  This representation shows strength, solidness, and proportion.  I love it.  Also, just a side note - I really like the font choices on thekeepersvault.com.

Looking forward to the next installments!

• 311 posts
    February 24, 2015 3:40 PM PST

Nice work on this and good to see new stuff. A question though or two, seems you are not finished with the story will there be more on the dwarfs. Also, These dwarfs are not miners? Just asking, don't mind a change, but most books have them as craftsman/ miners.

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    February 24, 2015 7:47 PM PST
    Kazingathi said:

Nice work on this and good to see new stuff. A question though or two, seems you are not finished with the story will there be more on the dwarfs. Also, These dwarfs are not miners? Just asking, don't mind a change, but most books have them as craftsman/ miners.

Kazingathi -

Keen observation. For each of these bios, we will be highlighting more of the race's story than detailing all of their interests or tendencies. We believe knowing the story of a race is the best way for you all to know if they're meant to be "your race", irrespective of which one they are. So rather than load up on what they do, we are--for these bios--focusing instead on who they are. And yes, this is not the full story of the Dwarves. At all. But we are also trying to preserve in-game discovery, and make that experience as rich and alive as real life. None of us were born knowing every aspect of even our own immediate family's story or heritage.

Additionally, we're trying to let each race breathe on its own a bit, and sometimes that means they won't look exactly like what you'd (or even we) originally expected. Is there a "mining" or digging element to these dwarves? Sure. Is it one of the primary drivers of their identity and role on Terminus? Not necessarily, although it will matter. For that reason it wasn't included in this release, just like some distinguishing aspects of the Archai were not as well.

Good questions. Thanks for them.

• 160 posts
    February 24, 2015 10:09 PM PST

Ahhh... my dwarven brothers....

They are gorgeous.  The lady is missing some hair around the chin though.

• 311 posts
    February 24, 2015 10:51 PM PST

Thanks  Istuulamae for clarifying that and yes I think it will be good to learn more about them in game. I'm good on letting them breath too, just digging for more info if you don't mind the pun. I'm just a big reader and used to the little folk diggin holes in the ground for shinny things. Thanks for the extra info.

• 5 posts
    September 6, 2015 11:02 AM PDT

Very Nice! I loved the Ice twist. It gives a new meaning and flavor to an old racial-norm.

Rin

This post was edited by Rinishki at September 6, 2015 11:03 AM PDT
    • 126 posts
    September 9, 2015 2:56 AM PDT

Very, very nice looking dwarves. Makes it hard for me to not choose them! And I have to say that I am so glad that the female one doesn't have a beard - sorry Nuggie ;)

• 70 posts
    November 27, 2015 4:30 PM PST

Very special, these Dwarfs.

I've not seen this kind of care given to race lore since EQ.