Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon Update: 2.20.15

• 671 posts
    February 23, 2015 12:16 AM PST
    Haelm said:

Great work with the update, personally I think it looked way better than what I remember of Vanguard. Alot of that is likely due to the great art work the areas had a nice amount of foliage at differing heights and densities. with atmospherics like fog plus the modern lightning its starting to be very comparable with modern MMO offerings.

I did like the wolves too, the movement was very realistic and model looked sweet. I think the human models were a little behind but its room for improvement :) Would like to something closer to ESO say as thats a good base for a modern game even if characters aren't that pretty :)

One thing I did pickup on was the use of Physics, does that mean were going to need Nvidia cards?

Also with the talk of keeping it playable on average machines, I hope that really implies that there will be quality scaling options so those of us with better machines can crank it up a bit. Its good to appeal to a wider audience but I would prefer to cut back on effects if performance was dipping rather than overall quality. Spell and combat effects really smash frame rates in raids etc, and games with options to limit those perform way better and usually look better as it ends up being a blinding flash of colors otherwise :)

You do realize, that none of what they showed, is actual Terminus..?

Most of those assets are just pre-configured game assets. Meant so the can move into pre-alpha and start actually designing what you see. Using their own tools and techniques.

Today's physics are done on CPUs.

Most of all the physics in games like Battlefield are done on the CPU, because modern multi-core CPU are powerful enough to do them. In game Physics that use hair or "fabric" style physics (Nvidia)are unnecessary. As shaders can do the same thing. Making Nvidia's "physx" as pseudo marketing now.

Lets not forget, that Pantheon will be released in 3~4 years. What card you own today is irrelevant.

• 63 posts
    February 23, 2015 7:59 AM PST
    Hieromonk said:
    Haelm said:

Great work with the update, personally I think it looked way better than what I remember of Vanguard. Alot of that is likely due to the great art work the areas had a nice amount of foliage at differing heights and densities. with atmospherics like fog plus the modern lightning its starting to be very comparable with modern MMO offerings.

I did like the wolves too, the movement was very realistic and model looked sweet. I think the human models were a little behind but its room for improvement :) Would like to something closer to ESO say as thats a good base for a modern game even if characters aren't that pretty :)

One thing I did pickup on was the use of Physics, does that mean were going to need Nvidia cards?

Also with the talk of keeping it playable on average machines, I hope that really implies that there will be quality scaling options so those of us with better machines can crank it up a bit. Its good to appeal to a wider audience but I would prefer to cut back on effects if performance was dipping rather than overall quality. Spell and combat effects really smash frame rates in raids etc, and games with options to limit those perform way better and usually look better as it ends up being a blinding flash of colors otherwise :)

Most of those assets are just pre-configured game assets. Meant so the can move into pre-alpha and start actually designing what you see. Using their own tools and techniques.

Most of all the physics in games like Battlefield are done on the CPU, because modern multi-core CPU are powerful enough to do them. In game Physics that use hair or "fabric" style physics (Nvidia)are unnecessary. As shaders can do the same thing. Making Nvidia's "physx" as pseudo marketing now.

Lets not forget, that Pantheon will be released in 3~4 years. What card you own today is irrelevant.

We did show some of the 100% custom modular assets I am beginning to create. Near the end it showed a few of the first pieces of the Elven Ruins kit I am working on.

Elven Ruin Pieces- POI

This post was edited by Montreseur at March 12, 2015 3:12 AM PDT
    • 148 posts
    February 23, 2015 8:25 AM PST
    Montreseur said:

We did show some of the 100% custom modular assets I am beginning to create. Near the end it showed a few of the first pieces of the Elven Ruins kit I am working on.

Elven Ruin Pieces- POI

Thats a good canidate for a new wallpaper , just need a bigger size of the screenshot

• 9115 posts
    February 23, 2015 4:58 PM PST
    Hieromonk said:
    Haelm said:

It most definitely is showing places in Terminus! These are actual places and dungeons that you will be running around in, we are slowly changing from Unity 4 to Unity 5 and creating our own assets but what you see is Terminus being built.

We plan on an Alpha in 6-9 months, Beta early 2016 then release in 2017, so at most 2-3 years for a full product released (As long as everything goes to plan).

• 30 posts
    February 24, 2015 4:22 AM PST

Kilsin said:

It most definitely is showing places in Terminus! These are actual places and dungeons that you will be running around in, we are slowly changing from Unity 4 to Unity 5 and creating our own assets but what you see is Terminus being built.

We plan on an Alpha in 6-9 months, Beta early 2016 then release in 2017, so at most 2-3 years for a full product released (As long as everything goes to plan).

I think this is the first solid estimate of pre-alpha I've seen - you have no idea how excited I just got :D

This post was edited by Caesium at February 27, 2015 11:04 PM PST
    • 133 posts
    February 24, 2015 4:38 PM PST
    Aradune said:
    Mistmaker said:

I'm really impressed with the visuals. I can see I will need to get a new computer for this game so I can play at ULTRA settings again :) Keep up the great work you all are doing and thanks for the update.

Actually, we are being *very* careful in this regard.  You will *not* need the latest and greatest machine to run Pantheon.  We are being very mindful of performance and stop every month and optimize.  One of the biggest mistakes with VG was getting all excited about the latest tech and then pushing it into the game.  When unfortunate events forced us to release 6 months early, most people, even on decent gaming machines, couldn't play the game and players left, most of them before even hitting level 2 or 3.  We cannot and will not make that mistake again.  Blizzard was brilliant with WoW and made sure average PCs could run the game.  We are doing the same with Pantheon.  In fact, the recent visual enhancements and tech we have just now revealed have *not* lowered the framerate at all.  Same with the advances coming when we switch to Unity 5 -- we are not going to let performance get in the way of you enjoying Pantheon.  No, you won't be able to use some ancient laptop you re-discover in your closet, but, likewise, you will *not* need to go spend a ton of money and have to have the fastest machine, CPU, GPU, etc.  

I don't mind making new mistakes -- we're very adventurous and always trying out this or that.  But making an old mistake again, releasing an unoptimized game that even the fastest game rigs choke on, is *not* an option for us.  We're very sensitive about this, I hope you can tell :)

-Brad

I can't agree more on the mistakes made with Vanguard, though take heart Brad still the best MMO in my mind ever made.  Remember nothing is perfect. Now it is possible Vanguard could be replaced...Now don't freak out, see there is a rumor going around that this new game in development is looking like the next coming......

Now please tell me those of us with super high end systems will be able to jack it up right?  Support Eyefinity as well?  Please...pretty please.  I am already drooling over my 390X to replace my now old 290X!  Now if you need an official Eyefinity tester, well you have your geek.

This post was edited by Exmortis at March 4, 2015 12:03 PM PST
    • 671 posts
    February 25, 2015 12:36 AM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Hieromonk said:
    Haelm said:

Sigh...

I meant ACTUAL terminus... under Unity 5...  & not using pull down assets.

As the person I was quoting, was under the impression we were in late beta, and using VRi's own art assets. Additionally, I didn't mean to demean Monty's work, but for obvious reasons...  His work was not included in my statements, because in the video he clearly states HE created these, have a look at what i did.

I am quite fond of the Work Monty did and already dl'ed and printed out his screenshot.

Where did the pack of wolves come from..?

• 9115 posts
    February 25, 2015 2:28 AM PST
    Hieromonk said:
    Kilsin said:
    Hieromonk said:
    Haelm said:

Sigh...

As the person I was quoting, was under the impression we were in late beta, and using VRi's own art assets. Additionally, I didn't mean to demean Monty's work, but for obvious reasons...  His work was not included in my statements, because in the video he clearly states HE created these, have a look at what i did.

I am quite fond of the Work Monty did and already dl'ed and printed out his screenshot.

I don't see any wolves mate, but I kind of wish I did because I love wolves! lol

The video was Terminus, changing from Unity 4 to 5 will make a difference in a lot of area's but it won't change the assets or anything major, it will just give us more wiggle room and allow for Dan and the team to push the engine harder, as you know we use stock assets for placeholders so we can work with visual representations of things, over time we will replace a lot of those or change them to better suit our world but what you see is Terminus and it's only going to get better.

I also just wanted to correct the release information as it was misleading, we have stated a few times that we plan Alpha in 6-9 months (which is getting closer and creeping up on us way too fast!) with a 2016 Beta and 2017 release, that is not long at all when you consider a normal dev cycle for an MMORPG is 5-7 years like you suggested and we only have 2-3 years!

So I just wanted to clear that up, if you are ever in doubt or unsure of something don't hesitate to send me a PM as I would be happy to clarafy something for anyone interested (as much as I can anyway) but if something is posted on the forums and it is wrong, it's my job to quickly correct that so the right information is available, I didn't mean anything personal by it though Hieromonk, you contribute a lot mate and I like that a lot, we just need to make sure its the right info though man ;)

• 3016 posts
    February 27, 2015 11:01 PM PST

My goodness what a beautiful world,  I keep going back to the video.  Again very proud of you all in the face of all that went before and just look at what you've produced.    Pat yourselves on the back..! :)

Cana

• 671 posts
    February 27, 2015 11:45 PM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Hieromonk said:
    Kilsin said:
    Hieromonk said:
    Haelm said:

Sigh...

I don't see any wolves mate, but I kind of wish I did because I love wolves! lol

The video was Terminus, changing from Unity 4 to 5 will make a difference in a lot of area's but it won't change the assets or anything major, it will just give us more wiggle room and allow for Dan and the team to push the engine harder, as you know we use stock assets for placeholders so we can work with visual representations of things, over time we will replace a lot of those or change them to better suit our world but what you see is Terminus and it's only going to get better.

I also just wanted to correct the release information as it was misleading, we have stated a few times that we plan Alpha in 6-9 months (which is getting closer and creeping up on us way too fast!) with a 2016 Beta and 2017 release, that is not long at all when you consider a normal dev cycle for an MMORPG is 5-7 years like you suggested and we only have 2-3 years!

So I just wanted to clear that up, if you are ever in doubt or unsure of something don't hesitate to send me a PM as I would be happy to clarafy something for anyone interested (as much as I can anyway) but if something is posted on the forums and it is wrong, it's my job to quickly correct that so the right information is available, I didn't mean anything personal by it though Hieromonk, you contribute a lot mate and I like that a lot, we just need to make sure its the right info though man ;)

I think you've miss-represented the scope of my previous comments.

" I did like the wolves too, the movement was very realistic and model looked sweet. I think the human models were a little behind but its room for improvement :) Would like to something closer to ESO say as thats a good base for a modern game even if characters aren't that pretty :) "

My comments, where directly geared in response that^ paragraph... not about the actual video. Somehow, I think that got lost along the way.

Additionally, I am glad you gave the time tables & explained things in further detail, but I don't ever remember claiming that Pantheon is a (normal cycle) 5+ year development frame. Brad had said 3 years, depending on goals & funding.

I say 4 years... : ]   Because Pantheon's Investors are going to be kick azz and allow for full crafting and housing...     I can see the future.

VRi is going places...

This post was edited by Hieromonk at February 27, 2015 11:58 PM PST
    • 26 posts
    March 12, 2015 1:33 AM PDT

Don't worry I didn't think it was anywhere near beta :) just commenting on what I liked whether they be VRI assets or not. Pretty sure I saw wolves though lol maybe I was watching the wrong vid, jk :).

As for Physics anything done on a CPU is bad for an MMO, as they are generally very CPU bound due to online network processing I guess. Also there can be quite a difference between some Nvidia effects and otherwise. You are correct that by the time Pantheon launches Dx12 , Win10+++ and other advancements in improved multicore gaming will be considerable different to todays experience.

• 557 posts
    April 21, 2015 11:49 PM PDT

YOIKS!

This video is no longer online.  "The uploader has closed their YouTube account."

There are now multiple broken links on the Media/Videos page here on this site.