Forums » The Monk

Monk Races

• 1 posts
    January 14, 2017 9:11 AM PST

Throatseeker said:

Over recent months we have brain stormed quite a bit on the monk class and what we would like to see implemented as class features etc. I would like to switch gears here for a second and discuss potential monk/race combinations. 

So what race would you like play a monk as!?  Me personally I am a human elitist! ;) What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe/Throat

Kerra of course: BTW this above every class or race I played during my 5 year tenure at EQ2 was the Monk class, his avasion was fun to watch as it ducked and dodged attacks

Also was areal Badass in PvP UNTIL! of course players that met it in PvP complained that thier best skills were evaded

SO...

It got nerfed into submission and jioned the other warrior classes of lower mediocrity

• 7 posts
    January 27, 2017 6:45 PM PST

Pantz said:

I want Gnome Monk

I agree. My Gnome Fu is strong

• 74 posts
    February 23, 2017 4:08 PM PST

Archai, Human, Dark Myr, Skar. Bleh. So limited!

No Gnomes, no Dwarves, no Elves (besides the evil aqua elves), no Halflings, no Ogres.

I know that EQII was the 4th Edition D&D compared to EQ's 2nd edition, but I rather liked that freedom of being good/evil and having full class choices. I guess I'll go with my backup choice, since Dwarves are out.

• 106 posts
    February 26, 2017 2:11 AM PST

So, really sort of off topic here...

Did anyone else, upon reading the words, "dwarf monk," immediately flash to Jackie Chan's Drunken Master or was that just me?

On topic, I feel like racial restrictions are good. Lack of restrictions leads to too many resources being dumped into animation and creating lore to make everything fit. Also leads to too much min/maxing. 75 percent of people would play whatever is "best" 20% would play whatever they wanted, and 5% would aim for making whatever seemed the most ridiculous/silly/goofy. I feel like part of the goal is to sometimes eliminate a clear "best" thus promoting a more exploratory character creation. Less "what is best" and more, "whq will I enjoy more."

• 8 posts
    March 4, 2017 10:31 AM PST

I might be a minority here...but I think halflings should be monks. Monks aren't about brute strength (such as the warrior), they are more about speed and agility. In other fantasy settings, monks draw their power on Ki (or Chi) magic, which they learn to master over years of training. That magic allows them to exceed their body's limitations and perform amazing acts of super strength and agility. Now, I don't know how VR will handle the lore with monks (hoping for something akin to Ki), but they could use something like that to explain why halflings could be monks. However, I agree with some of you here how limitations on classes/races are necessary and I am actually glad with the choices available. Dark Myr Monk for me :)

• 46 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:28 AM PDT

I don't believe enough lore is established about the individual races and classes of Terminus to really know what does and doesn't fit. All we have so far is past bias from previous fantasy games. That said I prefer that the combinations for Monk to start out limited (Human and Skar). 

Joe

• 46 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:34 AM PDT

drewber2814 said:

I might be a minority here...but I think halflings should be monks. Monks aren't about brute strength (such as the warrior), they are more about speed and agility. In other fantasy settings, monks draw their power on Ki (or Chi) magic, which they learn to master over years of training. That magic allows them to exceed their body's limitations and perform amazing acts of super strength and agility. Now, I don't know how VR will handle the lore with monks (hoping for something akin to Ki), but they could use something like that to explain why halflings could be monks. However, I agree with some of you here how limitations on classes/races are necessary and I am actually glad with the choices available. Dark Myr Monk for me :)

This sort of justification opens the door wide open for a greater disussion. What exactly are the limitations of any given race and why? Are the special roles of Terminus (classes) learnable? If so, then why have initial restrictions?

The fact that there are restrictions would suggest that not all classes/roles are simply learned. Thoughts?

Joe

• 2247 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:55 AM PDT

Throatseeker said:

drewber2814 said:

This sort of justification opens the door wide open for a greater disussion. What exactly are the limitations of any given race and why? Are the special roles of Terminus (classes) learnable? If so, then why have initial restrictions?

The fact that there are restrictions would suggest that not all classes/roles are simply learned. Thoughts?

Joe

It's easy to think about race/class restrictions simply as what each race is physically capable of. But I think it's more accurate to think about what values are important to each culture. Perhaps halflings COULD theoretically be monks. However, being a monk also involves a lot of mental discipline and a calm demeanor and that sort of behavior is just not very common at all in halfling society. They typically live a more juvenile and reckless lifestyle. So basically, there are not enough members in the halfling population that value mental discipline to warrant that being a race/class combo.