Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Massively being closed down 3rd of Feb 2015

• 9115 posts
    January 31, 2015 6:26 AM PST

Whether you liked them or not, it is a big blow for our Gaming genre to lose an entity like Massively.

Read their post here for more information: http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/01/30/massively-that-was/#continued

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 31, 2015 12:01 PM PST
    • 76 posts
    January 31, 2015 6:52 AM PST

The owners, AOL, used to be a good company. :-/

• 432 posts
    January 31, 2015 8:12 AM PST

Well I can't say I care much.

Never read anything there and only vaguely knew about their existence.

The problem of this kind of sites (at least all I had thrown an eye on) are not the more or less paid writers.

The problem and a huge one is the "community" they attract.

It seems that about every toxic, negative, frustrated, agressive loon elects home on such sites.

And as for some reason they outnumber the sane people who happen to pass by, reading the comments there  is equivalent to plunging in the depths of some psychiatric asylum.

One gets to despair of mankind and that's why I avoid them like pest.

• 308 posts
    January 31, 2015 8:17 AM PST

well i must say i was surprised when i found out AOL was still a living Co. considering they were the originators of the #1 Worst IM ever IMHO. as far as gaming blogs i havent read one in like 10 years+ when all the gaming sites started taking Advertizing "Donations" to get good scores for their games.

• 3016 posts
    January 31, 2015 12:01 PM PST

Wow what a shame.   I didn't always agree with some of their writers,  but at the same time I would never wish anyone loss of employment.    I do hope they are able to start up on their own...perhaps a crowd source would be good,  as was suggested in that thread.

• 208 posts
    January 31, 2015 2:09 PM PST

While I never went to the site I am of the opinion that things become routine and growth/improvements stop over time.  While I am concerned that those people will not have a job, those that are good and talented will probably find a better job.  Who knows, this sunset may cause someone on the leaving staff to start their own type of organization/Website that is like Massively but better..

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    January 31, 2015 3:59 PM PST
    That's unfortunate, for the reasons stated. Hope those employed get on somewhere else.
    • 133 posts
    February 2, 2015 1:39 PM PST

Was not their biggest fan, it is, or was, the best single site for MMO news.

Side note, MJ and Jeremy were huge Vanguard supporters, and to this day I truely beleive they helped it last as long as it did.

• 308 posts
    February 6, 2015 2:02 PM PST

Massively crew just launched a KS https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nbrianna/massively-overpowered/comments to go independent.