Forums » The Ranger

Pantheon Ranger Inspired by the War Archer?

• 301 posts
    January 23, 2015 6:22 PM PST

Could the ranger in Pantheon be inspired by Lars Andersen? Take a look at the video he made.

Imagine some of the unique abilities rangers in Pantheon could have? It would be unlike any other ranger out there...

- holding the arrow on the right side of the bow instead of the left

- shoot using both the left or right hand

- catch an enemy arrow and fire it back at them

- no minimum distance for ranged attacks

- shoot while running, jumping, or riding

- holding multiple arrows in the draw hand for an increased fire rate

See the video below:

http://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk

This post was edited by Wellspring at January 24, 2015 9:32 AM PST
    • 217 posts
    January 23, 2015 7:03 PM PST

That's such an incredible coincidence Wellspring. I just saw Lars' video today as well when Justin (Istuulamae) shared it with me. I immediately responded, "There's our Ranger!" after I saw it.

Though we've not come to the point of fleshing out our classes to that degree yet, I absolutely think developing an archery combat system like this would be fantastic. 

Everyone should find the time to watch it :)

This post was edited by Joppa at January 24, 2015 9:32 AM PST
    • 8764 posts
    January 23, 2015 7:08 PM PST

That was a good video Wellspring, thanks for sharing and I agree, that is a very cool concept for the Ranger class, I am huge on history and historical accuracy and that was a good watch. :)

• 831 posts
    January 23, 2015 7:52 PM PST

That dude makes Legolas in the LOTR movies - with all of the movie special effects added in - look like a rank amateur.

An added bonus, he didn't have a pet running around with him just because he had a bow in his hand.... 

• 8764 posts
    January 23, 2015 8:05 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

That dude makes Legolas in the LOTR movies - with all of the movie special effects added in - look like a rank amateur.

An added bonus, he didn't have a pet running around with him just because he had a bow in his hand.... 

While it is not mandatory for a Ranger to have a pet, in most fantasy MMORPGs they are considered to be at one with nature and usually tie in with wood elf races for bonus racial stats etc. (and in most lore stories) so they usually have an ability to "charm" animals as a pet for a certain length of time as a small CC ability like they had in VG. I think it was a 30-60 second tame/charm that couldn't be broken that would allow them to control the charmed/tamed mob for the duration of the charm/tame then once it broke, the mob would turn and attack them.

The Ranger class should not - in my opinion - be a full time pet class at all. That should be reserved for classes like Necros, Shaman, Druids etc.

• 278 posts
    January 23, 2015 8:09 PM PST
    Yeah that's incredible. I literally sent that to Joppa today. Wild skillset that man has developed. Transformed the way I look at archers. Wonderful.
    • 8764 posts
    January 23, 2015 8:19 PM PST

Now let's see him do that with Daggers!

/puts on my Rogue outfit 'n hood and heads off to try a few tricks ;)

• 831 posts
    January 23, 2015 8:29 PM PST

Yeah, I'm not opposed at all to rangers having an amiable faction with most animals and being able to charm an animal to help them for some short duration.  I just hate that these days in MMO's rangers seem to automatically come with a full time pet. 

I have a dog too - that doesn't make me one with nature.  :p

• 301 posts
    January 23, 2015 8:32 PM PST
    Kilsin said:

Now let's see him do that with Daggers!

/puts on my Rogue outfit 'n hood and heads off to try a few tricks ;)

Haha. Be sure to film your tricks. I want to see THAT video!

• 749 posts
    January 23, 2015 8:33 PM PST

OMG, so badass!  I literally never play ranger classes, but I could get with this!

• 158 posts
    January 23, 2015 9:17 PM PST

maybe you guys should contact Lars and bring him on board. Entice him with a ranger in game named after him, lol

• 704 posts
    January 23, 2015 9:20 PM PST
    Wellspring said:

Could the ranger in Pantheon be inspired by Lars Andersen? Take a look at the video he made.

Imagine some of the unique abilities rangers in Pantheon could have? It would be unlike any other ranger out there...

- holding the arrow on the right side of the bow instead of the left

- shoot using both the left or right hand

- catch an enemy arrow and fire it back at them

- no minimum distance for ranged attacks

- shoot while running, jumping, or riding

- holding multiple arrows in the draw hand for an increased fire rate

See the video below:

http://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk

I am so happy...  I have a new hero..!

• 206 posts
    January 24, 2015 12:51 AM PST

Great video and very impressive archery skills from that dude!

• 154 posts
    January 24, 2015 2:32 AM PST

So cool, bring that into the game plz! :)

• 512 posts
    January 24, 2015 7:53 AM PST

And when I think that the ranger in EQ was the most despised class (I played one and it was my second most preferred).

"RANJA DOWN :" :)

• 831 posts
    January 24, 2015 8:08 AM PST

We weren't despised, we were comic relief.  How many other classes can say that there were enough jokes about them to fill a book?  The only thing close to it was gnomes.  But we all know in that case everyone DID hate smelly, stinky, knobby nosed, runty little gnomes.

:) 

• 512 posts
    January 24, 2015 8:20 AM PST
    Wandidar said:

We weren't despised, we were comic relief.  How many other classes can say that there were enough jokes about them to fill a book?  The only thing close to it was gnomes.  But we all know in that case everyone DID hate smelly, stinky, knobby nosed, runty little gnomes.

Hehe thanks to have corrected me. You are 100 % right !

Thanks to your remark I come to think that it was certainly not a coincidence that one of my mains was a ranger and the second a Gnome.

Surely because it was not possible to play a Gnome Ranger :)

• 357 posts
    January 24, 2015 8:40 AM PST
    Wandidar said:

oh i have a few barbarian jokes that are not decent enough to put on the forums.

BTW rangers were a awesome class. they could pull, shoot arrows, snare, turn into a wolf, and feign death.... with the help of a cleric.

• 504 posts
    January 24, 2015 10:04 AM PST

Loved the video ! That guy is amazing. 

• 1 posts
    January 24, 2015 10:07 AM PST
    Keiiek said:

maybe you guys should contact Lars and bring him on board. Entice him with a ranger in game named after him, lol

I just saw this on my FB feed earlier today. It would be great to have him consult on the game and have a ranger like this in the game.

• 89 posts
    January 24, 2015 7:12 PM PST

1 ranger to another at wayfarer camp: bind here often? :)

talk about skills on that archer.

• 296 posts
    January 27, 2015 2:22 PM PST

Hmm I got no problems with the Ranger's of Pantheon being like what Lars Anderson shows.. As long as all the classes are treated as such and the game is balanced.  I myself am amazed that while he is able to shoot an arrow out of the air with another arrow, can he do that while having to dodge a sword being swung at him or even worse shoot the arrow while multiple projectiles are coming at him.  Also how effective will the Ranger be if his Bow is damaged in some way?  After all the majority of bow's are made of wood or some kind of composites but wood is not the strongest material.  So if a bow gets knicked or damaged by an arrow or a spear or a melee weapon, would the Ranger be able to continue to use the bow or would they have to switch to their melee weapon until they can buy a new bow?  After all a wooden bow does not get repaired because once a bow was made if it was altered or repaired it was not as stable/strong as before

• 103 posts
    March 2, 2016 12:36 PM PST

Kilsin said:

The Ranger class should not - in my opinion - be a full time pet class at all. That should be reserved for classes like Necros, Shaman, Druids etc.

... thank you. Thank you so very much! :"(

Oh and I hate to be "that guy" but Lars isnt really being completely honest with that video. Many archers are actually pretty unhappy with him for it.

https://youtu.be/rDbqz_07dW4

Not that it wouldnt be good for the game, just saying.

• 23 posts
    March 16, 2016 1:29 PM PDT

Kayo said:

Kilsin said:

... thank you. Thank you so very much! :"(

Oh and I hate to be "that guy" but Lars isnt really being completely honest with that video. Many archers are actually pretty unhappy with him for it.

https://youtu.be/rDbqz_07dW4

Not that it wouldnt be good for the game, just saying.

And many rangers in real life and (most) fantasy want nothing to do with bows.