Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

ESO going F2P

• 378 posts
    January 21, 2015 6:19 PM PST

http://kotaku.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-is-ditching-subscriptions-1680869560

Well another sub based game gone to the dark side.  I know we want sub based for Pantheon, but with even the AAA studios struggling to maintain it i wonder how we will fair with it. 

• 9115 posts
    January 21, 2015 6:38 PM PST
    Zandil said:

Well another sub based game gone to the dark side.  I know we want sub based for Pantheon, but with even the AAA studios struggling to maintain it i wonder how we will fair with it. 

It's going B2P, slightly different than F2P as the initial digital or box fee is still needed to play the game, which can deter a lot of bots/gold farmers but I think for this game it's a good move, I couldn't justify paying a sub for ESO and I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan...it just felt like it was on rails but now that it is dropping the sub and I already own the game, I would be happy to jump back in and play when I want to have fun and pass time without a financial burden attached to it. ;)

• 378 posts
    January 21, 2015 6:42 PM PST

I was doing a bit of thinking about it and it may come down to the console version coming out, Console version won't have a sub for it and would be pretty hard to justify a sub for the PC version but the console kids don't have to pay one. 

F2P / B2P I still don't like it, either way ends up with a cash shop attached ( I am a current ESO player )

This post was edited by Zandil at January 21, 2015 6:53 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 21, 2015 6:46 PM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Zandil said:

It's going B2P, slightly different than F2P as the initial digital or box fee is still needed to play the game, which can deter a lot of bots/gold farmers but I think for this game it's a good move, I couldn't justify paying a sub for ESO and I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan...it just felt like it was on rails but now that it is dropping the sub and I already own the game, I would be happy to jump back in and play when I want to have fun and pass time without a financial burden attached to it. ;)

I beta tested it..and didn't bother showing up for the last two invites.    It had no hook for me.    While playing I couldn't see a reason or a challenge for me to be there.     So I left. 

I loved the Elder Scroll series,  but the MMO just was missing something large. 

• 9115 posts
    January 21, 2015 7:00 PM PST
    Zandil said:

I was doing a bit of thinking about it and it may come down to the console version coming out, Console version won't have a sub for it and would be pretty hard to justify a sub for the PC version but the console kids don't have to pay one. 

F2P / B2P I still don't like it, either way ends up with a cash shop attached ( I am a current ESO player )

Microsoft wouldn't let them charge a sub because there is already an Xbox Live sub fee attached to Xbox and a Playstation Plus fee attached to Playstations, so they were in argument over that for a while which caused the release delay and it is a big reason why this decision came about for PC subs dropping.

If they had of been allowed to charge a sub, they would of...so I am glad Microsoft took a stand on this or we would still be screwed out of pocket.

• 9115 posts
    January 21, 2015 7:05 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:
    Kilsin said:
    Zandil said:

I beta tested it..and didn't bother showing up for the last two invites.    It had no hook for me.    While playing I couldn't see a reason or a challenge for me to be there.     So I left. 

I loved the Elder Scroll series,  but the MMO just was missing something large. 

Yes I beta tested it too and played them all. I kept playing for the story even through launch but that quickly lost my attention as the game turned into a solo game with other people running around and if I wanted that, I can log back into Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind or Daggerfall, I wanted the MMO to be so different but I wasn't holding my breath, even the armour appearance annoyed me as it looked painted on!

Mind you I have over 600 hrs on PC Skyrim and 700 on the Xbox and I use well over 200 mods on the PC version to make the game look almost life like! I don;t even want to admit how many hours I have on the other titles lol ;)

• 753 posts
    January 21, 2015 7:31 PM PST

I'm happy with the decision for Pantheon to be P2P - in a world where all games seem to be headed toward F2P, it sort of ensures that people playing Pantheon really want to be there... Now I just need to hope that (according to Brad's post a few days back) another 29,999 to 49,999 feel the same way :) 

• 76 posts
    January 21, 2015 7:36 PM PST

Also tried it and forgot to cancel it (woops). I'm sorry, I've absolutely  _HAD IT_ with go here, go there MMOs. I guess that's why I'm here. 

• 610 posts
    January 22, 2015 3:13 AM PST

Was really excited when I first heard of TESO...started researching the game and watched a dev video

the lead design dev made the statement "The game doesnt even start till 50 (not verbatim but you get the jist)

Once I heard that I lost any and ALL excitement for this game, that told me from the get go it would be a solo fest train rail to max level so you could RVR or Raid. Never again even looked at the game. As far as Pantheon staying p2p is the keeping the team small....with most members wearing MANY hats...so lets hope for the best

• 432 posts
    January 22, 2015 2:58 PM PST

Have also been beta testing but got pretty fast bored to death.

Like Kilsin says, running around like a headless chicken along a crowd of other headless chickens didn't motivate me much.

Left even before the end of beta test.

Now for those comparing TESO and a niche game like Pantheon, there is no comparison.

TESO is a multi hundred M$ budget game and it needs all the money it can get to break even. For this kind of games (like SWTOR too) a slight loss of customers is a catastrophe and they are FORCED to go to other business models like F2P even if they wouldn't do it and don't like it.

Pantheon has no such constraints, it doesn't need to fight to keep the number of paying customers above the 1 M mark.

And this is a strength - when you have a core consumer basis that is attracted by something else than just fluff, advertisement, shiny graphics and buzz you can allow to say : " It is P2P and period. We can break even at 50k customers so f... off if you don't like the classic style."

There are some advantages of NOT having a 100 M$ budget and the freedom to choose the business model you like is one of them.

• 43 posts
    January 22, 2015 9:52 PM PST

Free trial maybe, sub based though please.

• 671 posts
    January 22, 2015 11:03 PM PST
    Zandil said:

Nobody I associate with even bothered with ESO. It was limited from the start. There has to be a reason to play these games.

ESO was a cash grab outfit. The didn't offer what the paying fans wanted...  now the Devs are seeking million of non-fans, in hopes of netting some aquatic life.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at January 22, 2015 11:05 PM PST