Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dynamic Player vs Power Leveler via Brad's Achievement System.

• 1434 posts
    December 19, 2016 8:38 PM PST

I think they've actually mentioned scrapping the rite of passage thing. I really wish this wasn't the case, because I thought it sounded great. Some suggested that it would streamline the level process by simply having players go to through predetermined quests, but I don't see any one task or even series of tasks every 10 or 20 levels as moving the game into the realm of linear themepark by any stretch. By that logic, every epic quest does the same thing.

They could also just randomize the task so as to prevent players from prequesting it or following some predefined path. They could also have some quest triggered off the perception system that could not even begin until the player reached the necessary level.

Problem solved.

This post was edited by Dullahan at December 19, 2016 8:42 PM PST
    • 1778 posts
    December 19, 2016 9:11 PM PST

@Dullahan

I actually asked Brad about that over at MMORPG.com a while back and he said it wasnt scrapped yet. Though no promises. Basically said the same thing they always do about potentially controversial topics and said it will need to be tested in alpha and get feed back. If it works great, if it doesnt fit then it gets scrapped or changed to better fit the vision. Ill try to dig it up but dont remember the topic/post it was under.

Found it, I ask the question and about 2/3 of the way down Brad answers. But there is a lot of overall good info in this thread too so some may wish to review. And Dullahan you were the one that actually started the thread.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6865695#Comment_6865695

This post was edited by Amsai at December 19, 2016 9:31 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 20, 2016 9:17 AM PST

I am all for accomplishing big tasks before moving on. I am a pretty major completionist when it comes to MMOs, probably why I stay away from collectible card or figure games.

I remember my first Mythical in EQ2. That was just a huge point in my playing. It was meaningful.

Hope Pantheon has similar activities, not necessarily mythicals, but huge achievements that you really have to work for.

• 60 posts
    January 15, 2017 11:49 PM PST

I dunno how I feel about the RoP or whatever they call it nowadays. In a way it makes sense and they could definitely "control" the speed of leveling to 50 but in a way like brad mentioned on another post, it prevents a players freedom to do what they want. I can understand why they might have put it on the fence for the meantime, its a risky strategy but I guess they could let alpha/beta testers try it out to see if it actually feels good.

• 1778 posts
    January 16, 2017 12:09 AM PST

Worked in FFXI, so should be okay in Pantheon. Dont think of it as a progress blocker. Think of it more as a change of pace every now and then for character progression.

• 169 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:13 AM PST

I think renaming it is a good idea, but I have to wonder if it ever really was the intention in EQ to have these type of moments intentionally.  For instance no one really knew a Druid was going to be a good kiter.  The game was group focused and I don't think the developers envisioned Druids being used in this way.  That ding when you got Spirit of the Wolf and Stinging Warm somewhere in the early to mid teens was huge.  The same could be said for a class like monk (as mentioned) who got feign death at a certain point.  No one knew the abilitiy would be important for pulling.  I'm certain it was just intended for saving yourself if you got into trouble.  Interestingly in Everquest things were all over the place because of diferent race/class leveling speeds and different tiers getting their spells at different levels.  Hybrids didn't get their spells until level 8 or 9 I believe in the orignal game.  Pure casters got their spells fairly early on.  Healer classes got their spells somewhere in between.  They all got meditate at different levels as well.  Meditate was huge in original EQ.  Anyway I am all for the idea of having meaningful and different points in game for different classes.