Forums » News and Announcements

Developer Round Table - 1.18.15

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 18, 2015 1:32 AM PST

Pantheon Community,

Thanks for your patience! (it's still "today" if I haven't slept yet, right?)

Due to the length of the discussion, we made the decision to drop the video and keep it to audio only, because the subsequent file size and turn around time would have been a bit unruly. We hope you enjoy this first of many more to come!

Developer Round Table

• 378 posts
    January 18, 2015 3:18 AM PST

30 mins into it so far and great stuff, Well done guys 

• 308 posts
    January 18, 2015 4:59 AM PST

I am listening to brad talk about the achievement system, and i have thought of a possible alternative. a Fame stat. if you kill the ogre king, you get recognized and gain fame. if you kill 25 orcs you gain fame and so on and soforth.

this would also include getting special quests for having a specific amount of fame. maybe for slightly better gear or something.

this mechanic would also help you with giving people the gentle boot out of the nest. and since this is entirely positive it leaves a better aftertaste than "You must do one of these 5 things in order to progress"

also after hearing the whole round table i must say i love the fact that you guys are taking the time to do this. i do however have one point of constructive criticism.

1. i heard a lot of reiteration. i understand it can be troublesome trying to explain some of the more complicated systems, but at the same time repeating the same thing had me wondering a few times if i had accidentally skipped back a few minutes without realizing it. or losing track of the conversation altogether.

so glad you are doing this and once again this is meant to be helpful.

This post was edited by Gawd at January 21, 2015 1:48 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 18, 2015 5:32 AM PST

That was a great Dev Round Table guy's well done! :)

There was a lot of great answers in there that got me even more excited!

• 453 posts
    January 18, 2015 7:44 AM PST

Thanks much, good stuff ! 

• 311 posts
    January 18, 2015 8:37 AM PST

Nice chat hopefully helps answer most of those questions and discussions on the board already. Think I might be needing some water gear. Maybe some shark replant and I'm gonna be the middle of the road guy so I don't get attacked first by dire wolves. Reiteration is fine by me some need a reminder plus it clarifies some too. 

• 671 posts
    January 18, 2015 9:38 AM PST

Thank you guys, that was wonderful.

I will discuss this in it's own thread, but with new ideas & concepts, comes new words. I think "Achievement System" is a bad name for Brad's concept.

May I suggest "Character's Right of Passage" ..?

• 179 posts
    January 18, 2015 12:04 PM PST

Almost forgot to listen to the Round table today. Give me something to do while I fish.

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 18, 2015 12:27 PM PST
    Hieromonk said:

Thank you guys, that was wonderful.

I will discuss this in it's own thread, but with new ideas & concepts, comes new words. I think "Achievement System" is a bad name for Brad's concept.

May I suggest "Character's Right of Passage" ..?

I think "Right of Passage" has a rather nice ring to it, actually...

• 132 posts
    January 18, 2015 1:05 PM PST

Najs! ^^

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 18, 2015 2:27 PM PST
    sajbear said:

Najs! ^^

Thanks again for keeping the Reddit updated Saj!

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    January 18, 2015 11:08 PM PST
    Gawd said:

also after hearing the whole round table i must say i love the fact that you guys are taking the time to do this. i do however have one point of constructive criticism.

1. i heard a lot of reiteration. i understand it can be troublesome trying to explain some of the more complicated systems, but at the same time repeating the same thing had me wondering a few times if i had accidentally skipped back a few minutes without realizing it. or losing track of the conversation altogether.

so glad you are doing this and once again this is meant to be helpful.

This is very helpful feedback. Thank-you very much for sharing it constructively, and we will look to improve our focus.

Thanks for the support everyone!

This post was edited by Istuulamae at January 20, 2015 3:33 PM PST
    • 83 posts
    January 19, 2015 12:40 AM PST

any chance for a transcript?

I rarely enjoy listening to these kinds of things, since speakers never have same audio quality and some have their mic setup so you hear more wind puffs than words or other issues.

But all the same a huge thanks for keeping us in the loop :)

• 91 posts
    January 19, 2015 3:47 AM PST

Currently listening to it (right now @45min). Im really happy about the fact, this kinda 'roundtable' is back! I would love to 'see' you guys too, like back last year, in thouse videoconferences, but audio is also fine (for now, hehe).

Keep it up! Love it!

• 999 posts
    January 19, 2015 8:13 AM PST

Appreciate the Roundtable guys.  Couldn't even tell it was this development team's first round table - very professional (a good thing).  Definitely clarified a few of my concerns.  Thanks again

• 148 posts
    January 19, 2015 9:44 AM PST

Listening to it now , just finished the first podcast , love seeing / hearing the team discuss whats going on

• 453 posts
    January 19, 2015 11:21 AM PST

This might be all in my head so take this statement with a grain of salt, but the first team that was put together, even though they may have been talented (I have no idea) , I just wasn't getting positive vibes from as a whole. I am not bad mouthing anyone from that team and in fact there was a couple people I really liked. I am just saying as an entity that team just wasn't like this team. This current team, while perhaps(?) not as trained out of the box when things started for them , have given me incredible positive vibes, like I just know things are going to work with them. Their attitude is great, they are hard working and have been willing to learn skills as they go and are doing a great job at that.

Hats off to you guys ! 

• 671 posts
    January 19, 2015 12:53 PM PST

I understand why Brad's head is down and working. I think He knows what Pantheon's potential is, (making a game where nuance matters?). I know game development enough, to know that if your backbone mechanics are solid, you can wrap any candy around it. After seeing that last video (5x myself), and reading what is going on in the text boxes... most will agree graphics do not matter, there could be stick figures for all I care, as the core elements of chance (dice rolling) was there. Solid base. With creativity such as the right of passage mechanic, this game will become a classic.

Along with advanced character hooks into the player controller (shimmy along a wall..) means even more to the Pantheon's community than you can imagine. It is because of things such as that, that inspire me to commit to this community & project. I understand you are on a warpath with your coding. Just want to let you personally know that things like I just mentioned, are what adds depth to Our characters & their ability to react with the world.

Once those are in place... the sky is the limit for Pantheon. I think Visionary Realms should be picky with their investors this time, this game is holding all the cards.

• 3016 posts
    January 19, 2015 12:59 PM PST

Definitely got good vibes from this audio podcast and from this team.    It all seems to mesh better now,   appears more professional,  and more like a team that's working hard TOGETHER  for our project.      Pantheon is coming!  Pantheon is coming!   All Hail...Pantheon is coming!

Let me in to test,  wouldja???  (hehehe)

Cana

• 610 posts
    January 20, 2015 9:38 AM PST
    Jason said:

This might be all in my head so take this statement with a grain of salt, but the first team that was put together, even though they may have been talented (I have no idea) , I just wasn't getting positive vibes from as a whole. I am not bad mouthing anyone from that team and in fact there was a couple people I really liked. I am just saying as an entity that team just wasn't like this team. This current team, while perhaps(?) not as trained out of the box when things started for them , have given me incredible positive vibes, like I just know things are going to work with them. Their attitude is great, they are hard working and have been willing to learn skills as they go and are doing a great job at that.

Hats off to you guys ! 

I agree Jason, from the first team I got the feeling of "this is a job, ive done it before and will again"

From this team I am getting a sense of wonder and excitement

Just the vibes I got

• 9115 posts
    January 20, 2015 11:13 PM PST
    Zlambit said:

any chance for a transcript?

I rarely enjoy listening to these kinds of things, since speakers never have same audio quality and some have their mic setup so you hear more wind puffs than words or other issues.

But all the same a huge thanks for keeping us in the loop :)

I wasn't able to make a transcript word for word but I did take notes and write down some of the more important highlights in point form, if you are interested I have posted them here:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1612/developer-round-table-recap-1 :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 22, 2015 4:19 PM PST
    • 432 posts
    January 21, 2015 8:19 AM PST

Like Ziambit I have not 1 and half hour to listen to the roundtable, big thanks for the transcription are then due to you Kilsin.

However in the thread preparing the roundtable there were several questions about trade skills and I found nothing about that in the transcription.

Trade skills were not discussed at all ?

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 21, 2015 8:47 AM PST
    There were a lot of questions we didn't cover in this first one, but we have all of the questions recorded and will continue to work through them in the upcoming Round Tables.

Our conservative, under-promising goal right now is one Round Table a month. We're going to work to continue to refine the Round Table model to make them more efficient and get more information across more quickly, while still allowing for good-hearted banter and letting you all peer into our team dynamics.
    • 432 posts
    January 21, 2015 8:58 AM PST
    Joppa said:
    There were a lot of questions we didn't cover in this first one, but we have all of the questions recorded and will continue to work through them in the upcoming Round Tables.

OK, thanks for the answer. It was unclear whether the rest of the questions was ditched or reported for another roundtable.

• January 21, 2015 9:08 AM PST

The notes from Kilsin sound good.  Pantheon sounds like a game I want to play.  "It's not EQ, but it's more like EQ" paraphrased and it's exactly what I was hoping for and expecting from past developers comments.

Thank you, Kilsin, for sharing your notes.  I hope to listen to the full podcast, but I'm not sure when I will. :)

This post was edited by BloodbeardBattlecaster at January 21, 2015 3:46 PM PST