Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Gaming World VS Real Life

• 453 posts
    January 12, 2015 5:01 PM PST

In your favorite MMOs (or if you found the perfect one) do you prefer being in the gaming world instead of "real life " ? It might sound lame or harsh admitting that you prefer a game like Pantheon instead of being in the "real world"  and/or with your family , but some people live extremely boring or solitary lives or have really bad family situations and for better or for worse gaming can be a kind of escape for such people.

Before I met my wife, I must admit I enjoyed playing Vanguard while I ate good food and drank craft beer to just about anything else in life. This may sound sad, but my life was pretty much just work, sleep, movies and working out. I enjoyed VG more than any of those other activities. Now that I am married that isn't the case anymore, but I can still guarantee I will enjoy Terminus ;) 

POLL:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/polls/view/215/gaming-world-vs-real-life

• 23 posts
    January 12, 2015 5:44 PM PST

for the most part a virtual world attracts players because it is an escape from the real world, most gamers are avoiding factors of their real life, that is the whole point 

• 453 posts
    January 12, 2015 5:49 PM PST

I think that for many people though it is simply entertainment in the same way a tv show or game of cards is.For other people it is as you say, an escape/avoiding real life on some level . 

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    January 12, 2015 7:39 PM PST
    I believe there is a hard ceiling on what even the most tailored gaming or virtual world can provide a person, therefore it is an indictment on your real world if you completely or absolutely prefer the virtual one. That's not to say there aren't inherent, magnificent draws to being in the virtual one, but to prefer it ultimately? I would reinvest in the real.
    • 9115 posts
    January 12, 2015 8:01 PM PST

I tend to agree with Istuulmae, gaming is an escape, a fun hobby but in no way should it take precedence over real life, you need to make sure real life is sorted out first (family, work, bills, friends, pets, etc.) then you can run wild and lose yourself in the game of your choice for entertainment values but I would never ignore or block out real life to make gaming my priority, there has to be a balance.

• 311 posts
    January 12, 2015 11:58 PM PST

I agree with Ist and Kil, real life is way more important and fine line between I wanna finish this quest and playing ball for a bit with the kids and wife. I do admit at  times it is a release where you can get away and have fun, it also keeps me from find other worse hobbies like going to bars and things like that. I don't RP though its just fun destruction where the npcs get to take my wraith for the day. Though I have to admit sometimes I get a little to involved and have to take a step back and my wife usually helps keep me grounded there. 

• 610 posts
    January 13, 2015 2:52 AM PST
    Istuulamae said:
    I believe there is a hard ceiling on what even the most tailored gaming or virtual world can provide a person, therefore it is an indictment on your real world if you completely or absolutely prefer the virtual one. That's not to say there aren't inherent, magnificent draws to being in the virtual one, but to prefer it ultimately? I would reinvest in the real.

for the most part this is true,

In my case, I am divorced (long before I got into gaming)

My children are grown with their own families and live several hundreds of mile away

I really dont like dealing with people in real life, I find them mostly to be annoying, boring and pretty much just a drain on me.

Maybe its just my being a bachelor for so long, I have become rather self centered...I want to do what I want when I want and not answer or deal with any one else about it. I have a great job, one or two good friends that I will socialize with but other than that....I just dont want to.

I dont know...I prefer a virtual world to the real one any day of the week and I see nothing wrong with that...doesnt mean I need to get out and get a life, I have one, doesnt make me a loser...Im very well regarded by my co workers and (albeit small) social circle. I just dont like dealing with people for the most part in real life.

This post was edited by Sevens at January 14, 2015 4:33 AM PST
    • 432 posts
    January 13, 2015 4:03 AM PST

This is one of the most examined issues in sociological studies.

It has even a name, it is called "escapism".

In every society there is some proportion of people whose RL life "sucks", that is it doesn't reach the ambitions they have or had.

As this creates frustrations, they often try to escape somewhere else where they can be successful in satisfying their ambitions or think that they are.

This somewhere else can be alcohol or drugs. Or MMOs. Or a combination of all.

A surprising finding (or perhaps not so much) is that this population is not negligible and can represent anywhere between 20 and 30% of dedicated MMO players, especially among those who are very far above the average of 20 h playing/week.

We have surely all experience  with people from EQ (or another game) who would say more or less directly that their life WAS the game.

Personnaly I have met many of them.

Now while alohol and drugs are definitely bad for the health, it is not the case for MMOs at least when one eliminates a very small number of pathological cases.

There is even anecdotic evidence that for some very depressed and sociopathic people an MMO was a kind of cure.

• VR Staff
    • 102 posts
    January 13, 2015 4:13 AM PST
    I don't think I could ever game to escape real life, mainly because my family would never leave me alone long enough do do that, lol. However, gaming for me is more of a way to relax and destress. With health issues that don't allow me to be outside as much as I'd like, gaming provides a certain amount of social interaction that I might lose otherwise. While not all will become life long friends, each person I meet has something to offer. And if I feel like gaming alone, I can do that too. It offers something for every mood and can be as little as something mindless if you don't care to think about anything to detailed, in depth strategy gaming. You get to decide what you want out of it.
    • 753 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:59 AM PST

I first started gaming years ago for one and only one reason.  My wife is an "early to bed" person and I'm an "up half the night" person.  I got bored watching repeats one summer night, and a friend of mine had been bugging me at work to try out gaming.  So I did.

I play a LOT - there is no doubt there... but for me, it's truly a TV replacement - with MMO's sort of being more of a hobby in that time.  I like that gaming is more "mentally involved" than watching TV.  For the sake of honesty - I still have the TV on and still watch stuff - but that's not where my primary focus is.

But - while there is the occasional (or even scheduled) gaming event that I give priority (TUESDAYS and FRIDAYS are raid night! or whatever) - In general, if my family wants to do something - I'm all over that. 

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    January 13, 2015 7:49 AM PST
    I can empathize with you, Sevens. I've had seasons where my actions at least suggested I preffered some measure of the virtual over the physical. Now life is very different, but I still enjoy the virtual world of books, and games, quite a lot. Immensely in some cases. And I generally don't feel comfortable with people for a prolonged period of time, save for a precious few. So I guess all of my virtual inclinations are intact, haha. If a bit dormant.
    • 753 posts
    January 13, 2015 7:55 AM PST

I will admit that generally speaking - it's often easier to "be me" from the safety of my keyboard in an MMO than it is, say, in a crowded bar or at a party.  No eyes looking at you, etc... that is one good (and bad when people take the whole idea of being safe behind their keyboard as license to be an ass) thing about living in the virtual world.

• 308 posts
    January 13, 2015 9:18 AM PST

I personally am either Working, reading a book, or on the net in some form. i cant stand most people my own age (31) and when i do socialize with others its usually people far my senior. i am just more comfortable talking politics with the 50 and 60 year olds than talking about the new M&M release or the results of the last football game. on the net i can actually find contemporaries with some level of maturity. doesnt matter if its in a game or on a forum.

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:56 PM PST

To be honest, 2001/2002 was a bad period of time for me,  two beloved family members passed away within 6 months of each other.      Logging into EQ ...helped keep me anchored somewhat...and I am glad I had that to fall back on.    Got me through some difficult days.

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:58 PM PST
    Gawd said:

I personally am either Working, reading a book, or on the net in some form. i cant stand most people my own age (31) and when i do socialize with others its usually people far my senior. i am just more comfortable talking politics with the 50 and 60 year olds than talking about the new M&M release or the results of the last football game. on the net i can actually find contemporaries with some level of maturity. doesnt matter if its in a game or on a forum.

Hmm maybe you're what they call an "old soul" Gawd :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at January 14, 2015 4:33 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:00 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

I will admit that generally speaking - it's often easier to "be me" from the safety of my keyboard in an MMO than it is, say, in a crowded bar or at a party.  No eyes looking at you, etc... that is one good (and bad when people take the whole idea of being safe behind their keyboard as license to be an ass) thing about living in the virtual world.

I'm an extrovert, both here at the keyboard and out in public,  not shy, state my opinion,   and joke lots with people.   I love to laugh. :)   So comfortable in either place.  :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at January 14, 2015 4:33 AM PST
    • 63 posts
    January 13, 2015 5:44 PM PST

Here are some really interesting thoughts that seem somewhat relevant about this discussion- 

Are virtual worlds real or fake?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiEu5wMoEDs

Can video games be spiritual experiences?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK91LAiMOio

Would you want to live in "Sword Art Online"?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32DwPB15a0M

^Definitely watch the last.

• 378 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:02 PM PST

If i'm going to live in a virtual world, it better damn well have white sandy beaches, hot big busted naked women and cocktails with umbrellas in them. 

• 311 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:29 PM PST

Lol I'm sure my wife and kids would follow me which is fine I just like having fun and like someone else said its my new TV.

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:35 PM PST

Virtual worlds are kind of like the poor man's travel to see the world thing,  only cheaper hehe

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:39 PM PST

With all this spirituality and sense of inclusion whilst gaming going on, ...do you think if all the peoples of the world...were able to become gamers (getting their necessary sustenance and other necessities  to survive first of course)     that,  differences could be overcome, and world peace would happen at last? :)

• 753 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:46 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:

With all this spirituality and sense of inclusion whilst gaming going on, ...do you think if all the peoples of the world...were able to become gamers (getting their necessary sustenance and other necessities  to survive first of course)     that,  differences could be overcome, and world peace would happen at last? :)

You've seen typical game forums...  right???   :p

• 378 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:47 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:

Bad people are always bad people no matter where they are.

• 378 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:50 PM PST
    Wandidar said:
    CanadinaXegony said:

You've seen typical game forums...  right???   :p

Or read my signature right ?

• 311 posts
    January 13, 2015 6:52 PM PST

I'm sorry to say the world will never change until we run into aliens. We will never get rid of all the old hate that has been here longer than all of us. Growing up American gives me hope that change can happen but like Zandil said bad people will always be bad.