Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Do you know who Aradune Mithara is ?

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 2:19 PM PST

Do you know who Aradune Mithara the in game character is ? This may seem like a ridiculous question for this forum all things considered, but my wife and also a coworker who both know Aradune as Brad here on the forum and as the dev of both EQ and VG neither knew he had a Pally on EQ and a Ranja on VG both with that name. They both come to this forum often and my coworker has played both his games quite a lot, so it floored me that neither of them would know. Do you know Aradune Mithara ? Do you know Tyler Durden (LOL) ? 

Last pic is of an imposter btw .

dd

s 

am

ss

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 2:21 PM PST

I have never seen a pic of his VG Ranja . Anyone have a link ? :)

• 311 posts
    January 10, 2015 2:27 PM PST

No sorry only seen smed and couple others playing VG. Someone came out to watch us fight Varking to see if he was working right. I think it was smed.

• 84 posts
    January 10, 2015 2:30 PM PST
    With my head lowered in shame I admit I didn't know of his in game characters until recently LOL I am however a big fan of the man himself and of his games . He looks studly by that motorcycle don't you think ?
    • 311 posts
    January 10, 2015 2:33 PM PST

Looks like he's in Az,  or southern Cali. Sorry Brad, but not studly (I'm a guy) but it does look like he had a full day of fun.

• 208 posts
    January 10, 2015 3:26 PM PST

Actually I got to meet Aradune in EQ once long ago.  It was as part of an in game wedding for a few guildies of mine.  I think I even met Brad at one of the first Fan fairs in Seattle for EQ....My question then to you is this:  Do you know why he picked the name Aradune Mithara?

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 3:30 PM PST
    Freyja said:
    With my head lowered in shame I admit I didn't know of his in game characters until recently LOL I am however a big fan of the man himself and of his games . He looks studly by that motorcycle don't you think ?

Freyja Njörðrdóttir ! You should indeed be ashamed LOL And yes, Brad is a studmuffin . 

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 3:36 PM PST
    Sogotp said:

Actually I got to meet Aradune in EQ once long ago.  It was as part of an in game wedding for a few guildies of mine.  I think I even met Brad at one of the first Fan fairs in Seattle for EQ....My question then to you is this:  Do you know why he picked the name Aradune Mithara?

Jason the Newbie said:

That's awesome ! And a very good question. Why did he pick that name ? 

• January 10, 2015 3:37 PM PST

I believe I found out who he was a year or two after EQ released.  I didn't surf the net for game information, and I stayed off of forums in those days :)

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 10, 2015 3:56 PM PST
    Kazingathi said:

Looks like he's in Az,  or southern Cali. Sorry Brad, but not studly (I'm a guy) but it does look like he had a full day of fun.

Yep, Ocotillo Wells off road park in the Borrego Desert about 2 hours east of where I live.  And I was indeed tired after that ride :)

Here's a recent pic (over the holidays) -- we rode from the snow and mountains down into the desert.

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 4:04 PM PST

Sounds like a blast :) Nice pic, I like the scenery , would be fun to ride thru areas like that. 

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 10, 2015 4:05 PM PST

So the origin of the name Aradune Mithara.  

When I was a teenager/early adult I wanted to be a fantasy author -- I'm a huge fan, of course, of Tolkien, CS Lewis, Feist, Moorcock, Zelazny, etc.  So I ended up creating a world and writing two short books and lots of notes.  They aren't very good -- I wasn't descriptive enough, and around the same time I got into programming and designing video games, being inspired ultimately by Ultima II which I encountered in Junior High.

Anyway, one of the chief characters in one of the books is named Aramith Half-Elven.  His father, a ranger named Aradune Mithara.  When I started playing MUDs in the early 90s I first started a Paladin (my favorite class I always chose in AD&D) and called him Aramith.  Then I discovered that I liked to play Rangers better, and wanted to link the two characters, so Aradune became the character I played the most.  Then in 96 when I started working on EQ, I had already played MUDs so many crazy hours, that I'd grown fond and sentimental about the name Aradune and so I named my GM character Aradune (never my actual play characters, because I wanted to be anonymous when I was *really* playing the game).  

I also put up the first EQ web site back when we had no marketing for the game and I'm pretty sure I used Aradune as my screen name.  So between the GM Character and screen names, people started to remember the name and associate it with me.  I then took Aradune to VG, and now he's appeared on Terminus... but this time he's a WarWizard :)

When JP and I were discussing how a WarWizard would look I basically described in as much detail how I envisioned Aradune to look, so this image is actually both representative of a Pantheon WarWizard as well as Aradune Mithara specifically.

I had a really good shot of Aradune in VG but it's lost somewhere on one of my PCs. :(

Another question that is sometimes asked:  Why did Aradune the Ranger in EQ wield a two-handed flaming sword called the Fiery Avenger.  Well, the first weapon we successfully attached particle effects to was that two-handed sword.  And I of course wanted to show it off in screenshots.  I had to make it Rangerable.  Kinda lame, I know.  In VG and Pantheon he is dual-wielding like a proper ranger/WarWizard.  And the green platemail is now green chainmail, also more appropriate IMHO.

This post was edited by Aradune at January 11, 2015 9:31 AM PST
  • January 10, 2015 4:15 PM PST

I remember the first time I saw 'Aradune is stinky'.  I knew it had to mean something being down there on that wall.   I wondered who had ticked off some developer.  haha!

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 10, 2015 4:22 PM PST
    BloodbeardBattlecaster said:

I remember the first time I saw 'Aradune is stinky'.  I knew it had to mean something being down there on that wall.   I wondered who had ticked off some developer.  haha!

That was Bill Trost giving me a hard time :)  I thought it was pretty funny when I accidentally ran across it, and apparently so have many others :)  One should never take oneself too seriously :)

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 10, 2015 4:33 PM PST
    Freyja said:

*blush*

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 10, 2015 4:37 PM PST
    Here's a pic of Aradune, EQ era, drawn by Jim Lee -- I have the original framed on my wall.
    • 8 posts
    January 10, 2015 4:38 PM PST
    Aradune said:
    Here's a pic of Aradune, EQ era, drawn by Jim Lee -- I have the original framed on my wall.

Thats pretty awesome actually.

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 4:50 PM PST
    Aradune said:

So the origin of the name Aradune Mithara.  

When I was a teenager/early adult I wanted to be a fantasy author -- I'm a huge fan, of course, of Tolkien, CS Lewis, Feist, Moorcock, Zelazny, etc.  So I ended up creating a world and writing two short books and lots of notes.  They aren't very good -- I wasn't descriptive enough, and around the same time I got into programming and designing video games, being inspired ultimately by Ultima II which I encountered in Junior High.

Anyway, one of the chief characters in one of the books is named Aramith Half-Elven.  His father, a ranger named Aradune Mithara.  When I started playing MUDs in the early 90s I first started a Paladin (my favorite class I always chose in AD&D) and called him Aramith.  Then I discovered that I liked to play Rangers better, and wanted to link the two characters, so Aradune became the character I played the most.  Then in 96 when I started working on EQ, I had already played MUDs so many crazy hours, that I'd grown fond and sentimental about the name Aradune and so I named my GM character Aradune (never my actual play characters, because I wanted to be anonymous when I was *really* playing the game).  

I also put up the first EQ web site back when we had no marketing for the game and I'm pretty sure I used Aradune as my screen name.  So between the GM Character and screen names, people started to remember the name and associate it with me.  I then took Aradune to VG, and now he's appeared on Terminus... but this time he's a WarWizard :)

When JP and I were discussing how a WarWizard would look I basically described in as much detail how I envisioned Aradune to look, so this image is actually both representative of a Pantheon WarWizard as well as Aradune Mithara specifically.

I had a really good shot of Aradune in VG but it's lost somewhere on one of my PCs. :(

Another question that is sometimes asked:  Why did Aradune the Ranger in EQ wield a two-handed flaming sword called the Fiery Avenger.  Well, the first weapon we successfully attached particle effects to was that two-handed sword.  And I of course wanted to show it off in screenshots.  I had to make it Rangerable.  Kinda lame, I know.  In VG and Pantheon he is dual-wielding like a proper ranger/WarWizard.  And the green platemail is now green chainmail, also more appropriate IMHO.

Dang. I just had a nerdgasm LOL Thanks for all that killer info . I never knew any of that . 

Kyndread said:
    Aradune said:

Thats pretty awesome actually.

I agree, that's way awesome. 

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 5:04 PM PST

Finally found a pic of Aradune the ranger. Will search for more. 

ara

I also found a rare pic of a pally being able to feign death LOL :

ee

This post was edited by Jason at January 10, 2015 7:24 PM PST
    • 311 posts
    January 10, 2015 5:27 PM PST

Yeah there's a couple of spots in Az to hit the dunes in. Hey Brad ever chase rabbits at night in the dunes with your head lights, lol lot of fun till I tore through a couple of mesquite trees.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 10, 2015 5:32 PM PST
    Kazingathi said:

Yeah there's a couple of spots in Az to hit the dunes in. Hey Brad ever chase rabbits at night in the dunes with your head lights, lol lot of fun till I tore through a couple of mesquite trees.

Yes, but I felt kinda guilty afterwards, heh.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 10, 2015 5:33 PM PST
    Jason said:

Finally found a pic of Aradune the ranger. Will search for more. 

ara

Can anyone find a higher rez version of this image?  Would personally appreciate it.

thanks.

• 453 posts
    January 10, 2015 5:49 PM PST

I will keep searching. I am surprised there aren't more images after all these years . 

ddd

• 9115 posts
    January 10, 2015 6:44 PM PST

Wow, this was a lot of very cool info! :)

I had seen Aradune in both EQ and VG (and VGOEmu lol :P) but I had never taken a screenshot of him, I was probably star struck and trying to hide my sharpened and bloody daggers so I didn't scare him away! ;)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 11, 2015 9:06 AM PST
    • 179 posts
    January 10, 2015 11:27 PM PST

I think Zelazny was my first series of books I read as a young teenager. I still have the books upstairs.

X