Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Oculus Rift

• 378 posts
    January 5, 2015 7:36 PM PST

I understand that this is a long shot and low if at all on the priority list but being that Unity engine plays along well with the Oculus rift has there been any talk or work with pantheon and Oculus integration.  

I have spent last few weeks with my mates Rift while i wait for mine to turn up this week ( Fingers crossed ) and can't express how impressed I am with even the DK2 and what I have been playing around with so far. 

This post was edited by Zandil at January 6, 2015 10:26 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 5, 2015 7:43 PM PST

I don't know the answer to that,  what I do know and have noticed lately,  Oculus Rift is being mentioned more and more on television,  which of course perks up my interest,  they're talking headsets and things like that,   I still have a book on virtual reality that I bought back in the 1990s,  after seeing a movie about it ...had Darryl Hannah in it and something to do with the telephone.  (that's all I remember)

I am quite excited about this technology, and from the sounds of things, it will definitely be a part of future gaming.    Would be cool if Pantheon ended up with those capabilities,  but it all comes down to funding in the long run.   :)

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 5, 2015 11:29 PM PST
    Zandil said:

I understand that this is a long shot and low if at all on the priority list but being that Unity engine plays along well with the Oculus rift has there been any talk or work with pantheon and Oculus integration.  

I have spent last few weeks with my mates Rift while i wait for mine to tun up this week ( Fingers crossed ) and can't express how impressed I am with even the DK2 and what I have been playing around with so far. 

While I can't promise anything (too early), we definitely have the desire to make Pantheon work with Oculus Rift and future, similar devices!

• 3016 posts
    January 6, 2015 12:06 AM PST
    Aradune said:
    Zandil said:

I have spent last few weeks with my mates Rift while i wait for mine to tun up this week ( Fingers crossed ) and can't express how impressed I am with even the DK2 and what I have been playing around with so far. 

While I can't promise anything (too early), we definitely have the desire to make Pantheon work with Oculus Rift and future, similar devices!

That's good to know thank you :)

• 378 posts
    January 6, 2015 12:23 AM PST
    Aradune said:
    Zandil said:

I have spent last few weeks with my mates Rift while i wait for mine to tun up this week ( Fingers crossed ) and can't express how impressed I am with the DK2 and what I have been playing around with so far. 

If I wasn't married already i'd ask you to marry me ;)

If you need a Rift tester I'm always available 

Well back to Elite: Dangerous and Alien isolation on the Rift

This post was edited by Zandil at January 6, 2015 10:25 PM PST
    • 63 posts
    January 6, 2015 5:18 AM PST

The VR paradigm is one that I definitely plan on getting my hands on in the future. There are some inherent problems currently with the way that Unity works with the Oculus, and that is that two cameras must be used, and thus the draw calls are doubled for the user. Seeing as how 60fps is an absolute must for VR since anything less becomes very apparent, this causes a problem. Moving into Unity 5, and beyond, perhaps Unity will have some rendering optimizations that bring it up to where Unreal and CryEngine are sitting(granted they all have their pros and cons, and most of UE4 and Cry's benefits lie in their rendering capabilities, and not so much their design work flow). But perhaps integration with the Oculus and Unity will be more hardware friendly in the future.

The day it becomes feesable, you can all count on me badgering Brad, Joppa, and anyone else on the team to get it in!

• 76 posts
    January 6, 2015 6:37 PM PST

I asked the same question!

• 378 posts
    January 6, 2015 6:42 PM PST

Currently working with a mate who is doing a project to design ships and testing it in a 3D model so the customer can walk around the ship in the rift and inspect it before purchase and make changes etc.

Even working on trying to add a simulator so you can take the ship for a sail in the rift.  motion and sea sickness all rolled into one ;)  

• 378 posts
    January 12, 2015 11:39 AM PST

My own Oculus DK2 Should arrive today.  YEAH BABY 

My mate is happy now that he gets his back  

• 378 posts
    January 14, 2015 10:24 PM PST

Time to enter the future 

This post was edited by Zandil at January 14, 2015 10:25 PM PST
    • 378 posts
    January 14, 2015 10:28 PM PST

Best Toy i ever brought ( except for the wife ) 

• 378 posts
    September 14, 2015 8:20 PM PDT

Thought i'd bring it up again ;) will I have a reason to stick this on my head during Pantheon beta ?

• 9115 posts
    September 14, 2015 9:30 PM PDT
    Zandil said:

Thought i'd bring it up again ;) will I have a reason to stick this on my head during Pantheon beta ?

Unity engine does support it so we will see what we can do and see whether it will be feasible for us to incorporate it into Pantheon as an option for VR/Oculus users but as always, nothing is set in stone during these very early phases.

• 378 posts
    September 14, 2015 10:45 PM PDT

That's what i like to hear ;)

PC Monitors are so 1990's 

This post was edited by Zandil at September 14, 2015 10:45 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    September 14, 2015 11:39 PM PDT
    Zandil said:

Lol, I like my multi-monitor setup! I have tried VR/Oculus and don't actually like it very much /gasp

But I am all for options and people being able to play the way they like, so I hope we can get support for VR and Oculus for the people like yourself who do really like it :)

Just don't be hating on our monitors with your fancy goggles mate lol ;)

• 378 posts
    September 15, 2015 1:02 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    Zandil said:

Lol, I like my multi-monitor setup! I have tried VR/Oculus and don't actually like it very much /gasp

But I am all for options and people being able to play the way they like, so I hope we can get support for VR and Oculus for the people like yourself who do really like it :)

HEATHEN

I just got The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ( redux ) and by all accounts it is fantastic in the Rift so going to fire that up tonight.

• 9115 posts
    September 15, 2015 3:04 AM PDT
    Zandil said:
    Kilsin said:
    Zandil said:

HEATHEN

I just got The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ( redux ) and by all accounts it is fantastic in the Rift so going to fire that up tonight.

Oh man, that game looked stunning, there were multiple times where I just stopped and looked around to take in the view, the guys did an awesome job with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter :)

• 51 posts
    September 15, 2015 4:01 AM PDT
    Zandil said:

Time to enter the future 

Still waiting on my hoverboard... :/

• 378 posts
    September 15, 2015 4:15 AM PDT
    Typhon said:
    Zandil said:

Time to enter the future 

Still waiting on my hoverboard... :/

Done and Done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheVhmcYLA

Another version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSwZ2Y0Ops

This post was edited by Zandil at September 15, 2015 1:38 PM PDT
    • 39 posts
    September 15, 2015 8:57 PM PDT

I postulated in another post that there could be a great marketing opportunity here by way of a play with words.  The Pantheon (Rome) is famous for it's Oculus..

http://www.aroundrometours.com/img/blog/Pantheon-oculus.jpg

• 378 posts
    January 4, 2016 3:50 PM PST

Sorry had to bring this up again, just on the Grounds that 

IT'S HERE

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 5, 2016 1:36 AM PST

Keep in mind the challenge with VR devices is not getting the display to work -- I know we could get it working with Pantheon in fairly short order, and we will, once it makes sense to and we have the resources to devote to it.

The real challenge is the interface.  An MMO requires a pretty sophisticated UI that you are interacting with often.  You are firing off abilities and spells in combat.  You are manipulating items in your inventory.  I think once the display side of things is somewhat standardized, which I think will be fairly soon, you'll start seeing games that are graphical but don't require sophisticated user interfaces popping up first.  Then, over time, as the interface issues are addressed and standardized and the devices mature beyond just moving your head around to change your view, more complex games will start to support VR.  MMOs will likely come later, again because their interfaces are more sophisticated and being able to interact with the UI so essential to gameplay.

That said, I've experienced the earlier games and demos that exist now, and the immersion factor quite honeslty blew me away.  I knew I was interested in VR already, but actually experiencing it really impacted me.  MMOs and virtual worlds are all about immersion and feeling like you are really there.  To that end, VR and MMOs ARE the future.  It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.

So you can be certain that when the hardware and software improves to the point where sophisticated user interfaces work seamlessly with the rest of the VR experience, Pantheon will definitely be part of this immersion revolution.  But like I said, it's the 'when'.  And a lot of that 'when' is out of our hands, at least at this point.  Because of that, where VR tech is at the moment, I really cannot with any confidence or credibility commit or even allude to when VR will become part of the Pantheon experience.  It may be before launch, or it may very well be post-launch (the latter probably more likely).  

That said, who knows where things will be at VR-wise in one year... in two years... sometimes tech like this catches on quickly, but sometimes it takes time.  And like I said, much or even most of this is out of our hands.  Nothing would make me more happier than if a year from now there are both hardware and software solutions to make integrating VR with an MMO (and I mean, again, truly integrated including a seamless, natural answer to the sophisticated UI issue).  But as of right now, just putting on a VR device over your head and using your neck to change the camera's view, combined with clunky and sometimes optional finger/hand interfaces just doesn't cut it.  

This post was edited by Aradune at January 5, 2016 1:41 AM PST
    • 72 posts
    January 5, 2016 10:19 AM PST

Aradune said:

Nothing would make me more happier than if a year from now there are both hardware and software solutions to make integrating VR with an MMO (and I mean, again, truly integrated including a seamless, natural answer to the sophisticated UI issue).  But as of right now, just putting on a VR device over your head and using your neck to change the camera's view, combined with clunky and sometimes optional finger/hand interfaces just doesn't cut it.  

I think this last sentence really hit the nail on the head - that while in the future it might be possible to integrate the two it might not be overly practical. I would prefer not to see something being done just because it can be done.

One of the biggest draws for VR to me personally is the interaction with physical handheld objects (Such as a gun in a first person shooter). I won't lie - I would buy a VR device in a heartbeat if there was a fantasy MMORPG where I wielded a sword. (Yes, that's my true inner childhood coming out from pretending I was fighting dragons in the woods with sticks)

But again you need to consider the practical aspect of that type of integration between VR and PC and anything cross platform. If an auto attack system is implemented. How would wielding a sword work? Do you allow the VR player to attack as fast as he wants - and accept the downside being that he is physically limited? So while he might be able to burst out some DPS - he wouldn't be able to maintain that for extended periods of time. 

I have yet to try VR myself so perhaps simply having a VR headset with a keyboard and mouse would be possible and even practical - but to me personally, that seems like I wouldn't be using VR to its true potential.

(P.S. And for any of those curious what I'm talking about and have concerns about spacing issues - check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTtfAQEeAJI)

• 378 posts
    January 5, 2016 11:31 AM PST

VR is the future and monitors are so 1990's. you want interaction in VR and be able to interact with objects.....Done already, Oculus Touch will be out later this year and it is insane.

https://youtu.be/dbYP4bhKr2M

This post was edited by Zandil at January 5, 2016 11:32 AM PST
    • 378 posts
    January 5, 2016 11:34 AM PST

VR is the future and monitors are so 1990's. you want interaction in VR and be able to interact with objects.....Done already, Oculus Touch will be out later this year and it is insane.

https://youtu.be/dbYP4bhKr2M

Playing skyrim with the Rift is one of the most immersive things I have ever done.

As Brad said in his post is what Lucky palmer has been saying for years, There is no medium that can explain or express what VR is like, you need to try it for yourself and actuly experence it.

This post was edited by Zandil at January 5, 2016 11:37 AM PST