Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Change in Leadership

• 1019 posts
    October 17, 2023 1:24 PM PDT

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, has seen a protracted development period since its inception in 2014. Throughout this journey, the project has undergone multiple style and direction changes, facing setbacks and production errors that have raised concerns within the community. Many, myself included, wonder when it will be appropriate to say, "enough is enough," and call for changes in leadership and management.

The question of "when" the community should demand such changes is a critical one. It is a point of consideration for dedicated players who have invested their time, money, and enthusiasm into the project. Deciding when to take a stand is often a challenging and subjective matter.

In many cases, a breaking point for the community can occur when there's a widespread loss of faith in the project's direction or when development setbacks become too numerous or severe. Persistent delays, lack of transparency, and unaddressed concerns can all contribute to this growing sentiment.

• 902 posts
    October 17, 2023 2:02 PM PDT

Yup. I'm there already. 

• 3852 posts
    October 17, 2023 2:30 PM PDT

I read the latest change as redolent of desperation. If they are running out of money the only change that could help would be to leadership that has the ability to provide it. I am not sure that is possible now.

• 80 posts
    October 17, 2023 3:37 PM PDT

Huh? Changing all the art and animations, 10 years into development, is not something you do when you're running out of money. This involves a huge upfront cost that could take another decade to payoff.

As for leadership, I think it's a better strategy for financial backers to demand the current team have strict deadlines and developer accountability. Then maybe you'll have hope for release before 2030.

A change in leadership would be a mistake. VR is already flirting with WoW, new management would shift this into overdrive.

• 185 posts
    October 17, 2023 4:26 PM PDT

RedGang said:

Huh? Changing all the art and animations, 10 years into development, is not something you do when you're running out of money. This involves a huge upfront cost that could take another decade to payoff.

Im not sure thats the case. 

What expences do they actually have??

They are not building cell phones or automobiles or widgets or anything physical.

They don't have any offices where full time employees meet to work.

They have a few servers and thats it.

All the $6+ million they have raised and burned though was near completely spent on salaries.

If they wanted to, they could cut their salaries, work overtime, and actually complete the original game that was pitched to this community.

That hardly costs any money. (if they were sincere about it)

• 727 posts
    October 17, 2023 5:04 PM PDT

I'm not sure the concerned followers are considering all sides of the issue.  If the game doesn't get released in the next decade or two there is an upside.  We will be in a retirement home, possibly under the influence of some AI created weapons grade narcotics that get automatically refilled by a cute young nurse, young to us will be a 56 yo nurses, also we have cataracts, and we will be surprised at the quest designs and poo-pooing the graphics then too, again we'll likely have cataracts .   So perhaps keep looking on the bright side of things, maybe the glass is not half full but at least it doesn't have a pair of dentures soaking in there.  

• VR Staff
    • 530 posts
    October 17, 2023 7:51 PM PDT

While I understand the frustration involved in following a project such as this, I think that the project IS this leadership. These people are making this game and without them, it wouldn't be Pantheon.

• 185 posts
    October 17, 2023 8:41 PM PDT

Savanja said:

While I understand the frustration involved in following a project such as this, I think that the project IS this leadership. These people are making this game and without them, it wouldn't be Pantheon.

Without them its not Pantheon, but apparently With them its not Pantheon either.

There were claims in the past that they had offers to buy a controlling interest, but they turned them down because they would'nt compromise on the vision of the game.

But now they've made exactly the kind of changes that we were all worried selling to a publisher would result in. 

.. never too late to turn back

• 167 posts
    October 17, 2023 8:53 PM PDT

Well, at worst, we move on to another game, angry at the loss of funds and waste of time. 

At best, maybe the new minigame is fun enough to keep us a little distracted while VR tries to figure out what they are doing.  

Assuming alpha pledges are actually in it and it's not now an additional charge. If there's a monthly sub or something required for the new minigame, the community will lose it and there will be a lot more threads like this one.    

• 125 posts
    October 18, 2023 3:53 AM PDT

Prevenge said:

Well, at worst, we move on to another game, angry at the loss of funds and waste of time. 

At best, maybe the new minigame is fun enough to keep us a little distracted while VR tries to figure out what they are doing.  

Assuming alpha pledges are actually in it and it's not now an additional charge. If there's a monthly sub or something required for the new minigame, the community will lose it and there will be a lot more threads like this one.    

My issue is it's fine for you as it appears you will not be upgrading. What about the poor people being sold a lie who may be about to drop £1000 on something they were not expecting. It's all well and good to say "do your research" "don't spend what you can't afford etc" but the problem is what is currently advertised as testing a MMO and what may be the reality are completely different.

To be fair Joppa did come into the Discord last night and although it was still a little smoke and mirrors he gave off the impression the testing is all still remaining within the MMO. But some clear official clarity is desperately needed

• 17 posts
    October 18, 2023 4:26 AM PDT
    Who has ownership and who now makes the finial decision?
    • 2419 posts
    October 18, 2023 7:40 AM PDT

corechamber said: Who has ownership and who now makes the finial decision?

One would expect that Chris Rowan Chairman and Chief Executive Officer would be that person...unless he's just a figurehead who bought his way in and was granted that lofty title as a 'thanks for the money'. But the reality of the situation is that Chris 'Joppa' Perkins has the final say on anything and everything inspite of VR professing that many things are team decisions'.

• 3852 posts
    October 18, 2023 8:59 AM PDT

"Without them its not Pantheon, but apparently With them its not Pantheon either."

Well and succinctly put. 

I do not even intend this to be a criticism -  it is beyond doubt that the so-called mini-game is not Pantheon.

• 1019 posts
    October 27, 2023 6:24 AM PDT
    I think we are at this point now, more than ever. This project has been a master class in mis-management coupled with ego's and poor choices.
    • 20 posts
    October 27, 2023 4:32 PM PDT
    I remember a dev log a while back where they got some new wiz kid programmer hired to fix the terrible hard coded spaghetti programming. Proudly announcing "Ive deleted more code than I've added"

That was the the point that alarmed me, a precursor too these shenanigans. Glad that I'm only 100usd in the hole on this disaster.
    This post was edited by MushyMel at October 27, 2023 4:33 PM PDT
    • 521 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:52 AM PDT
    If you listen to the answer to the first question in the Q&A, here’s a snippet of the very long winded answer.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - 247 - Public Discord Q&A
    “the reality our ability to generate content to stay far out enough ahead of our testers was proving to be a Hugh challenge us and a lot of the decision that were making based on what we did where we focused our development efforts were often centered around when is the next test and we want to make sure theres you know progress in the areas that the players are knocking on so that they stay engaged because it would be a huge letdown for a whole month to go by and if we've spent that time working on aspects of the game that aren't um providing more to do and uh you know beating that drum of the ever necessary content advancement that a huge mess that a lot of pressure that we felt because a month is a long time to wait to play the game for a single day”

It’s pretty clear they seemed pressured to bang out more content for the “testers” in order to get them in on a very short time period, the 24 hour one day event. Which seems to me like some lines got crossed somewhere along the way.

Were backers, some with the option to help test the game. We are not customers, we are not entitled to enjoy the content of the game as of yet. Understandable if you don't have time to test, but Any tester who doesn't test because new content isn't out, isn't testing and should not be catered to.

Focusing on content for testers to have something new, seems like the VR leadership lacked clarity to properly direct the development without special concern of testers fun. At the end of the day it’s a business.

It would be better focus on one game while correcting the leadership issue, as its pretty clear feelings are getting in the way of necessary management decisions. If more testers are needed, then open it up to more backers, hand pick them, and not the same ones each time. Skip the one day a month testing and move to a quarterly test over a couple days, maybe a week. Ect…
    • 902 posts
    October 28, 2023 10:33 AM PDT
    I beg to disagree, we are backers and customers. I bought into the original concept for Pantheon and expected to play the game, way before now. I agree that we are (or should be) testers (the chance would be a fine thing).

I don't agree we should have any direct input into who is running VR. I do agree that we should influence the game though.

I think we must give this a try, but I don't hold out much hope.
    • 185 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:47 PM PDT
    HemlockReaper, keep im mind they claimed that when Project Fairthale was completed they would have a full 1-50 progression system im place. (Not to mention the 10 year head start to generate content)
    They Have more zones they could open up. Pervious streams show several of them
    I can’t for the life of me figure out why they wouldn’t just let Alpha pledgers in to test all these zones.
    Would generate So much good will and interest in the game.
    I think the art style change says it all though. They made a decisions that they were going to change the game fundamentally to monetize a different customer base. And that insane decision has destroyed the game and the company along with it.