Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Cartography & Lack of Maps

This topic has been closed.
    • 6 posts
    December 12, 2022 6:47 PM PST

In theory, a player utility of the use of maps/map making.

In the community discord, I and a couple of others (Xanafel, Phojolanmies) were reviewing points of contention in the current state of development, and one point of contention revolves around the in-game maps of Pantheon, or in this case: lack thereof. 

So much arguing about how maps should or should not be included, but let's not forget... This is a game that prioritizes roleplay and exploration! Exploration is a big thing for Pantheon, and what better way to capitalize on that than by allowing players to discover and document it? This is why we have discussed the third option, which is the introduction of mapmaking as an in-game sub-skill for perception. By ranking up perception, taking notes on your map/journal, drawing maps, etc. you will rank up your cartography skill.

Current ideas for map-making include:

• World map with revealable FoW for permanent map discovery based on discovered locations
    • Player-created dungeon & treasure maps & guides through the use of mouse drawing and/or drag & drop tiles gained through exploration
    • Notes & Floor level tabs for dungeon maps for better pathfinding and strategy
    • Icon placeables on the aforementioned maps are organized depending on what map type you have. (City maps would not have treasure chest icons, etc.)
    • Map types could include but will not be limited to: Parchment paper for cities, Etching Leather for Underwater, Dungeon Journals for Dungeons, etc.
    • Exceedingly rare and unique maps that can only be read in certain conditions, by certain races, or in certain areas. (Unique maps can reveal hidden doors to unique treasures. These maps will not be player-made)
    • Rare maps may include but not be limited to the following properties: only readable in moonlight, only readable in cave crystal light, race language restriction, only readable underwater, etc.
    • Players can make phony maps (Maps that lead to nowhere, neglecting to inform the reader of a dungeon trap... etc.)

The main idea behind this is that players need a more reliable way to navigate without relying on copying and pasting maps from in-game and posting them on google. It will further incentivize players to level their perception and could potentially unlock more map functions (pins/notes/tiles). Ranking up your cartography skills would unlock the use of better parchment/leather options. Further allowing you to read more complex maps, create higher quality maps, and even circumvent certain rare map restrictions.

To the folks who are worried about immersion being broken because of maps being found on google, I understand. Which is why maps would be sellable/tradeable. I think at the end of the day, not everyone wants to make maps, while some people love taking the time to make good ones. It's a good economy stimulant, will always be in demand, and ultimately saves the game from rampant map copy/paste. I have no doubts it will still happen, but giving players the freedom to make their own maps instead of providing them, and making rare map info useless without the map in hand may help to stem broken immersion.

The point of this forum post is to generate discussion, not judgment. I am hoping for this to be as constructive as possible so we can create a fully workable idea that could see potential implementation. For those who want a map in-game, this might be the way to go!

This post was edited by KhyraenIllykur at December 12, 2022 6:48 PM PST
    • 1404 posts
    December 12, 2022 7:26 PM PST

I'd like to direct your to this post and the message from bazgrim   Cartography - Pantheon Forums (pantheonmmo.com)

That will in turn direct you to 6 other "Chartography" based threads on the forum as well as a video.

Happy Reading

p.s  Were encouraged to necro threads here to keep all info together

This post was edited by Zorkon at December 12, 2022 7:26 PM PST
    • 48 posts
    December 12, 2022 7:37 PM PST

I swear. We must have talked about maps and or map making on and off for about 5 hours on the official Discord. It was a lot of fun and a ton of ideas were throw about.

At first we were trying to decide if we should have in game maps to begin with. Pros and cons of both. And the inevitability of maps on the web. As I stated on the discord, I get lost easliy without an in game map of some form. Although I do not condone GPS you are here markers on the map and no mini-maps at all.

I am pretty flexable on how rudimentary the map could or would be. Gimme an overland map with fog of war and a compass and send me on my way. I did however like our ideas on interactable maps that would allow us to modify our maps with pins for POIs or just places we would like to revisit. Being able to jot down notes for reminders of places you couldnt get to just yet or even shops that have some of the best prices. Being able to customize your own in game map would be a lot of fun.

As for cartography as a skill, this is where we started getting crazy with some ideas.Some posts were all for an actual draw your own maps style. I myself being no artist suggested more of a tile set drag and drop system. With unlockable tiles being given when either you skill up or discover an actual POI. Couple this with the possiblity of the lack of actual information in the beginning seemed a fun way to build your own maps. Other ideas included possible Legend unlocks if your skill was high enough. Making it possible to more accurately scale your maps with proper distances.

We invisioned dungeon maps like a discover as you go system. Unlocking rooms as you traverse the depths. Coupling this with the perception system would allow the discovery of secret rooms and passage ways that could also show up on your map. Being able to modify your dungeon maps with pins and the like is also fun. Allowing you to mark chest or boss locations. Notes on certain patrols to keep a look out for. Best camp spots. Etc.

And yes my favorite contribution was the inclusion of rare magical maps that are only visible when certain conditions are met. This list could become pretty lengthy limited only by the developers imaginations. My favorite was probably the secret location being revealed only when the map was opened while it was raining.

I feel like we really only scratched the surface of the customizability of what we could do with maps. Trying to make it fun while also trying to retain the minimalist feel I guess. I certainly still don't want and arrows pointing the way or showing me where I am. Do you have any great ideas to add? Do you like the idea of interactable maps? Would you prefer just a simple no frills map and compass? Looking forward to hearing your constructive thoughts.

• 48 posts
    December 12, 2022 7:39 PM PST

Zorkon said:

I'd like to direct your to this post and the message from bazgrim   Cartography - Pantheon Forums (pantheonmmo.com)

That will in turn direct you to 6 other "Chartography" based threads on the forum as well as a video.

Happy Reading

p.s  Were encouraged to necro threads here to keep all info together

LOL sorry. I was actually afraid of necroing a thread. Thx for the info.
    edit: I found all the links were broken.

This post was edited by Xanafel at December 12, 2022 7:48 PM PST
    • 2053 posts
    December 12, 2022 8:39 PM PST

Xanafel said:

Zorkon said: I'd like to direct your to this post and ...

LOL sorry. I was actually afraid of necroing a thread. Thx for the info.
    edit: I found all the links were broken.

The forums were upgraded a couple of years back so the links to forum threads at the old address no longer work. Fortunately, links to old forum posts will still work if one just removes "www." from the old link and replaces it with "seforums."

Here are all those links in working order. (Also, the youtube link was still working).

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2241/a-cartography-skill

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7066/cartography-skill/view/page/1

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2420/maps-of-various-kinds/view/page/1

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2962/mapping-mini-maps-quest-arrows

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/988/world-maps

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6086/scribe-crafting-maps

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2420/maps-of-various-kinds/view/page/8

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7233/cartography-suggestion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uia9jADhav8&feature=youtu.be&t=50m10s

This post was edited by Jothany at December 12, 2022 8:40 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    December 12, 2022 9:40 PM PST

Thanks, guys! Going to lock this now but please feel free to continue in one of the already existing threads. :)