Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Avoiding Failures while Creating a Social MMORPG

• 173 posts
    July 28, 2022 10:01 AM PDT

I’m sure many of you followed EQ Next and maybe even were a Founders Pack supporter like me. 2016 was a frustrating and disappointing time. Here are a couple articles to dive deeper into the frustrating experience:

I bring this up because I’m really happy with how VR is handling the development of Pantheon. Do I wish I could play tomorrow? Of course! I have already invested six years of time, hope, and excitement into Pantheon. I rather wait two more years for a solid release than to have the game be rushed out and die. It is clear to me that VR is very aware of past MMO failures and are doing their best to not make the same mistakes other MMOs made.

Pantheon is not a clone. It takes great concepts from earlier MMOs that have been lost in newer MMOs and adds on great new concepts and systems like: Climbing, Disposition, and Perception.

The biggest thing missing from modern MMOs is the social aspect.

Joppa said many years ago, “Our intention is not to bring back everything from the old days, but rather to pick and choose what makes sense and what is needed to make a fun, social, cooperative, and challenging game.”

Thank you, VR, for holding strong to the core vision: Community, Challenge, Discovery.

This post was edited by NegativeNRG at July 28, 2022 10:02 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    July 29, 2022 1:49 AM PDT

Seconded. I was also an EQ Next 'investor' and, stung by that, am pleased with the way VR are doing things and with their attitude.

Also seconded how pleased I am with the way they are advancing the old school model with improvements, not detracting from it with 'convenience/QoL/whatever-you-want-to-call-it'.

For example, bringing back slow-paced, tactical, combat, but adding/layering more interesting and satisfying concepts like Dispositions, Conditions/States, Readiness, etc. Looking forward to September pre-Alpha, but also enjoying all the out-of-game involvement in these forums, on streams, in Discord, etc.

Also also seconded on the appreciation for holding to The Vision. I express concern when announced features have the potential to stray, but I am never truly worried because whenever you hear Chris and the team speak, they are so clear on wanting The Vision to unwaveringly guide them.

Disclaimer: Yeah I know how fanboi-ish that all sounds. Sorry, not sorry, because we have heard more than enough to give us very reasonable optimism and anything else is pointless and unfounded.

• 161 posts
    July 30, 2022 9:10 AM PDT

An important result of game theory that the best strategies usually involve avoiding the worst possible outcome, while chasing the best possible outcome generally fails.